Softer-shooting big-bores

glockopop

Is there a caliber that I should know about that isn't quite as punishing as a .44 Magnum? The one I shot was a 6-inch full-lugged powerported model. .44 specials were much more pleasant, but I've never shot a .45 Colt or a .41 Magnum before. How different is it?

fairview mick

Glockopop/re:.44 mag

I've shot many .44 mag from factory to hotrod loads and I now shoot a .45 Kimber. There is no comparison to the recoil of the .44 mag. The .45 is like shooting a .22 compared to personal protection .44 loads. The .45 is very comfortable to me. I think I notice less recoil in that than I do my .40 S&W Sig 226 or my m-31 Glock in .357 Sig.
Mickey

tony stark

"softer" big bores

One of my favorite guns is a S&W 44. Not, because i shoot 44 mag loads, but because i can handload any combination from downright viscous "crowd pleasers" to very sedate 44 special loads.
That being said the 45 colt and the 44 special can be pretty impressive. It's not the caliber, it's what it's loaded with!!!!

glockopop

I'm mostly talking about basic target loads. I don't reload (yet) and one of the drawbacks of the .44 is that cheap target loads can be hard to find locally. I'm almost thinking I should just get a .44 mag and load it with specials. I'm mostly thinking of a S&W Model 29, but I have been looking at SAs in .45 Colt, though. The problem is that I've never shot a .45 Colt.:eek:

parrothead2581

I shot some factory PMC 240grn fmj .44magnums, and did not think they were nearly as harsh as folks say they are. This was out of a 6" bbl, which certainly helped some. Also, .45acp from a steel frame, like a 1911 is not bad at all. This is of course, all subjective. Good luck. :)

schmeky

It depends on what style of 45LC your looking at. For instance, a Ruger single action is much more comfortable to shoot than say a S&W with equal loads. The Ruger "pivots" up in your grip with much of the recoil energy being used to "flip" the muzzle up. The plow handle grip of the Ruger (or virtually any other SA) is designed to allow the pistol to pivot upon recoil.

A S&W on the other hand, pushes back more than it flips the muzzle. Percieved recoil in a SA is different, to me, it is diminished when compared to a double action S&W.

I own both. When I shoot maximum pressure loads, I find the SA less punishing.

45-70

.45 Colt Would be "Softer" Depending on the Load

I have a couple of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt that I reload for, and those loads are pretty stout -- 255 grains at 1000-1100 fps. Not painful, but stout. The equivalent of the old blackpowder load is 255 grain, doing about 950 fps out of a 7.5 inch barrel. Not real soft, but a good shooting load in my Smith 25-5. Somewhat speedier than a .44 special, but will handle most of what needs to be done. In a Ruger, you could load a .45 Colt to nearly .44 magnum level. But that's what .44 are for.

A .41 magnum on the other hand is right up there with a .44 magnum, depending on the gun. Some say they think a .44 magnum recoil is less abrupt than a .41. I load a 170 grain Speer to about 1100 fps and it's a fine shooter, but not quite "soft."

C Philip

How about a 44-40? It's an older caliber, but I find it quite interesting. I've only shot 44-40 in a rifle, but it had almost zero recoil. I can't imagine the recoil in a revolver would be very much.

Hammerhead

.44 specials can be hard to find and are usualy more expesive than they should be.
The Ruger Blackhawk is an exelent platform for the big bores. The single action grip rolls up nicely during recoil.
.45 Colt is generally softer shooting than either of the two Magnums you listed. So maybe consider the Blackhawk in .45 colt or .45 Colt/.45ACP convertable.
I like the .44 Rem Mag because I can load it down or up as I please. Reloading really is the way to go for all the magnums and the .45Colt. Once you start, you'll wonder why you hadn't started sooner.

Edward429451

Sounds like glockopop is on the reloading fence and needs to be pushed off into the reload side.

Then you can make anything you want.

44-40s are getting easier and easier to find all the time with the popualrity of cowboy action shooting. A 44-40 revolver is a pleasure to shoot and thyere not hard to come by either.

SW

gak

I've had and loved the .44-40 and agree..but they are (said to be) touchier to reload than the .45s (the bottleneck design/lubricant issue and have thinner cases). The .45 gives up nothing to the .44-40, is easier to load/find hot, and its availability is even greater...so many have argued fairly successfully that, other than its own niche-nostalgia as being an original dual-pistol/rifle caliber from the ol' west, no reason to choose over the .45. I'd get a .45 Blackhawk or (to me more charming) Vaquero. One alternative. The new .44 Mag Blackhawk that just came out which should be great...or, like me, .44 Mag Vaquero (old model since they don't make new)...and, like you say, shoot .44 Specials or someone's milder .44 Mag loadings.

Eghad

If you dont reload.....stickershock will probably get you when you buy .45 Colt. 44 Special is the way to go......

After experiencing sticker shock....I have purchased my reloading press and equipment...the dies are next. Reloading is about the best way to get what you want.

P-990

If I were in your position, I'd budget it this way:

Ruger New Vaquero, .45 Colt ~$500, depending on locale.

500 rounds of .45 Colt cowboy loads, $180 or so.

Reloading setup, from $60 up to $500+, depending on what you want and buy into (I'm happy with a $130 LEE Pro 1000 progressive myself, but I seem to be able to make it work.)

ABCs of Reloading or NRA Handbook, and other reloading manuals.

Case of primers, $20 or so.

2 jugs of IMR Trail Boss, ~$30.

1000 Oregon Trail 200gr RNFP, shipped from Cabela's, $60

Add gun leather and accessories as desired.

But that is just a suggestion. I reload for my 629 and have worked up accurate loads in .44 Magnum and Special from over-grown .38 wadcutter level all the way up to "WOW!! What just whacked me across the hand!?!" :cool:

timothy75

I recomend a Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt. This will cover evrything. Plenty of cowboy loads for shooting pleasure, Rem and Win still offer 255's at 860 for standard power, and CorBon, Buffbore, Pmc, Grizzly all offer +P loads with more power and still less recoil than the 44mag which that gun will easily handle. What do you think?

Webleymkv

I second the Blackhawk suggestion because you can have anything from pedestrian cowboy loads to near .454 Casull type artillerey.