Soft Point, SJSP, and SJHP tests?

MikeNice81

I was wondering, does anybody know of any good tests regarding SP, SJSP, or SJHP bullets in the .38spl and .38spl+p loadings?

It feels like I have seen a million tests for JHP, FMJ, WC, SWC, LSWC, LSWCHP loads. I've seen them shot through gel, water jugs, wet newspaper, modeling clay, and even a christmas ham.

Maybe I'm an idiot that needs a refresher course in google. In the mean time I would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction. I can not seem to find one person testing the rounds I'm looking for.

Are SP, SJSP, and SJHP rounds really that unpopular? I know Remmington, Fiochi, Magtech, Double Tap, Federal and Sellier & Bellot make them.

8shot357

Are SP, SJSP, and SJHP rounds really that unpopular? I know Remmington, Fiochi, Magtech, Double Tap, Federal and Sellier & Bellot make them.

I've only seen them in .357, but I've never looked for them for .38s.

Six_Rounds

158gr SJHP's at standard pressure would be hard pressed to expand in a short barreled .38, I can tell you that. 125gr +P SJHP's will do better and will expand consistently, but of course are lighter and some people (me) like heavy-for-caliber bullets. A basic soft point would be very unlikely to deform at any .38spl velocities when fired into tissue.

649GoldDot

I did a little backyard test with some Winchester .38 special +P 125 grain SJHP.The box just calls it a JHP. The lead hollow point is pretty soft, you can scratch it with your fingernail. Both rounds were fired into milk jugs filled with water at 10-12 feet.
The round in the middle was fired from a S&W 642 1 7/8" barrel.
The round on the end was fired from a 6" barrel.
I was surprised how much more expansion the 6" barrel gave it. Overall it doesn't seem to be a bad little round. I'm guessing the expansion would be less if fired into actual clothing/tissue.

MikeNice81

649, hanks for the pictures and information.

SixRounds, can you give me a link to any information that shows those statements to be true. I'm not saying you are wrong. I would just like to either see some tests or scholarly works that suss this out.

8shot357

SixRounds, can you give me a link to any information that shows those statements to be true. I'm not saying you are wrong. I would just like to either see some tests or scholarly works that suss this out.

:eek::eek:

Don't want to do no foot work?

Good work 649, I appreciate it.

MikeNice81

I have done foot work. I have not been successfull in finding anything relating to SP, SJSP, or SJHP ammo in handguns. That is why I came here to ask for help.

I have learned a lot of interesting things about .303 British soft point and .223 soft point ammo. I learned that SP ammo doesn't feed very reliably in M1 Carbines.

I have looked and failed to find what I'm looking for. Sorry if asking for help and/or refrence material is some how frowned upon.