SOCOM announces new SASS calber selection

globemaster3

Going through the Early Bird this morning, I came across an article by Military Times that is sure to generate some interest:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/05/08/socom-snipers-will-ditch-their-bullets-for-this-new-round-next-year/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-=ebb%205-9&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Military%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief

I am always critical of the "Military Times" articles, and this one is no different. The article leaves a lot of questions, which seems to be the norm for the "Military Crimes" rags, which exist in each flavor of service.

So what does it say? SOCOM is moving to the 6.5 Creedmore in a SASS configuration to replace its M-110 and did a shoot off between the SR-25, G28, and the MK20 in 7.62, .260, and .308. The only outcome chosen was a caliber... 6.5 Creedmore.

If this does go down, this could be a boost to the Creedmore shooters with cheaper milsurp ammo.

5whiskey

Yawn... SOCOM takes up all kinds of fads that never really pan out so this doesn't mean much. I'm not saying 6.5 creed is a fad that won't pan out, but SOCOM doesn't necessarily always pick the winners. These are the folks that fielded the H&K MK 23... a pistol that quite literally matches the size/weight of a Desert Eagle MK VII when loaded. Now they actually carry Glocks and Sigs.

And it's not that SOCOM sucks, it's the deep pockets they have. They can purchase equipment/gear in the event that they MIGHT use it, and if it doesn't work out they buy something else. It's just how they roll.

Scorch

SOCOM also purchased and used weapons configured for the 6,8 SPC and the 6mm SAW rounds. Has anyone seen those lately?

globemaster3

Scorch, I must have missed the memo on the 6.8. I know 5th Group developed it, but always understood they abandoned it. As for 6mm SAW, I’ve never heard of that one.

5Whiskey, I hear you on the SOF procurement budget. Wish my community had their pockets!