Socom 16

SR420

I am going to pick up a used Springfield Armory, Inc. (SAI) SOCOM 16 this weekend.
I have resisted getting a SOCOM in hopes that Smith Enterprise, Inc. (SEI) would build me a M14K, but this may fill the need.

This is what I have in mind...

I plan to send it off to SEI and have it modernized. I'll replace the SAI receiver with a Norinco, have a TRW bolt installed, have
the MAX-PACK done to a USGI or Chinese trigger group, M80HT the barrel and have the new SOCOM 16 DC Vortex GLFS installed.
All of this will end up in a new synthetic E2 stock from LAW483. An Aimpoint Micro T on an Ultimak rail is possible.

I'll post updates as I go :)

44 AMP

Staff
I'm an older guy, and a little out of the loop,...

So there may be some advantage I don't know about, but I have to wonder, WHY you would buy a rifle from a US maker (Springfield Armory), and replace the reciever with a Chinese one?

The reciever is legally the rifle, so what do you gain buying one rifle (assembled) and buying a reciever (legally a second rifle) to replace the reciever of the first one.

Your want list appears to replace just about everything on the rifle you are buying (reciever, barrel, stock, Trigger group(?)) why not just buy the replacement parts and have your gunsmith build them up into a rifle? What do you get buying the first rifle AND all those parts?

Well, it's your money.

predator86

***???? what a waste of time buying an amercan product and then replacing the important part with a chinese reciever?!?!?!!!!! do you have really good reasons for this strange behavior?

SR420

There are many advantages, but the main ones are that the Chinese receiver is forged and it's internal dimensions are as close
to USGI spec as you can get. USGI parts fit and function better in these receivers than they do in cast reproduction receivers.

There is nothing strange about upgrading a rifle. All 8 of my M14s have Chinese receivers with USGI and upgraded mil spec parts.
This pair of M14SE CRAZY HORSE® LITE SDM rifles are built on Poly Tech receivers with a mix of USGI, Chinese and SEI parts.

Crazy_Horse_LITE-004.jpg

Another reason I do this is because I can :D

Last edited: