So you say direct injection doesn't work

Bamashooter

They shot 3 of the beta-mags tonite on sons of guns as fast as they could on full auto and the gas tube temp was 725 degrees according to their laser thermometer. He actually had a primer blow back and hit his glasses. Dont think I would want to try it.

Crosshair

Nobody said it doesn't work, just not as good as alternative designs.

600 rounds is about the point of catastrophic failure of a standard M4 according to military tests, but that was with 30 round magazines.

kraigwy

600 rounds is about the point of catastrophic failure of a standard M4 according to military tests, but that was with 30 round magazines.

Talk to those who were involved in Tet '68, they will disagree with you. I know for a fact that my M16a1 would go a lot longer then that without failing. We didnt have M4s but our point man carried a CAR, pretty much the 'A1 version of the M4, they worked too.

WeedWacker

Kraigwy:

Any engineer will test to the point of catastrophic failure and then guarantee up to about 50% of the value. Say a bridge design held a projected 20 tons. The bridge would be certified for 10 tons. An M4 may be said to run to 600 rounds as an official number but that's the expected number not actuality. (In this case it's a good thing)

In previous test-to-destruction, the M4 fairly consistently burst the barrel at less than 600 rounds in less than 5 minutes. The M16A2 failed earlier and faster.

Part of the problem seems to be that the heavier front end droops more on the A2 and so the barrel bursts more quickly. Just by adding 5oz of additional mass under the handguards, the M4A1 takes that same number to almost 1,000 rounds with no barrel burst in almost the same time frame.

However, if you'll note the blurb at the beginning of the Surefire video, they state that the rifle in question has been specially modified and you should not try this at home as it will destroy a common M4. Off the top of my head, I'd note the Surefire M4 has a thicker barrel profile and what appears to be a different steel as well as a seriously upgraded gas tube. Also note that by the end of the fourth mag, flames are shooting out of the ejection port as well, which I am pretty sure is an indicator of impending bad mojo, though I've never got an M4 to that point so I can't begin to say what is happening.

HunterGuy

The gun was beefed up to do this test. A heavier barrel and heavy duty gas tube to be able to handle this test w/o catastrophic failure.

Pretty neat none the less. Definately something I wouldn't do to my guns, but something I wouldn't mind doing and getting paid to do so :p

AK103K

If you have 15 minutes, these two clips show the M16 series isnt quite as bad as you always hear from the internet experts. The clip has been around awhile, and you may have seen it before. Besides shooting 1100 or so rounds non stop (a little more realistically) in the clips, the boy throws the gun into a sandy tidal pool to cool it off every so often. You can hear the gun start to slow down from the sand in the action, and it sounds a little "crunchy" as hes shooting, but it chugs right along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CQOvdYW6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5ZXU9mr9g&feature=related

markj

those who were involved in Tet '68

My Uncle was, he told me they would fire till teh guns got too hot, then drop the cover on teh bunker till they cooled off. He also said the enemy was fighting with garden tools, machetes, anything they could get ahold of.

Didnt give a round account tho, just that they would get too hot to fire or cycle a round.

I have seen a utube vid on a ak47 was shot till it caught fire.

Bamashooter

AK103K..... I cant say for sure but it sure seemed like some of those mags in the torture test didnt have 30rds. in them. I dont really care one way or the other but thats what it seemed like to me.

AK103K

If you slow it down and count (I did, 'randomly', when it first came out) and as best I could tell they were honest in their count. That came up then too.

Ive been shooting M16's and AR's since the 70's. Ive never found them to be unreliable or even finicky, even when shot a lot without cleaning.

I have a Colt SP1 I bought new back in '74 ($225 :) ) thats had close to a couple of cases through it in a day, and quite a few times, and shot fast and hard to boot, and it never had any problems. Its always been cleaned and maintained after every outing and taken care of, but it has been well used. At this point, while Im not sure of the exact round count on it, its been quite a few tens of thousands over the years, and who knows, might even be past 100, and its still going strong.

Bamashooter

Thats cool. It just seems like they arent loaded to full capacity. I dont doubt the ability of the M-16. I carried one for 8yrs. I know they run fine when they are well maintained and they can run ok under extreme circumstances.

kraigwy

Part of the problem seems to be that the heavier front end droops more on the A2 and so the barrel bursts more quickly.

Odd since the A2 is limited to 3 round burst, it doesn't have full auto capabilities.

Crosshair

Talk to those who were involved in Tet '68, they will disagree with you. I know for a fact that my M16a1 would go a lot longer then that without failing. We didnt have M4s but our point man carried a CAR, pretty much the 'A1 version of the M4, they worked too.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The military tested the M-16 and M4 to failure. Catastrophic failure occurred at 491 rounds in 2:49 and the M4 went 596 rounds in 3:32, though the M4 had a jam that took 30 seconds to clear. I see no reason to doubt their results.

Fire to Destruction Test of 5.56 M4A1 Carbine and M16A2

Magog

My Uncle was, he told me they would fire till teh guns got too hot, then drop the cover on teh bunker till they cooled off. He also said the enemy was fighting with garden tools, machetes, anything they could get ahold of.

Didnt give a round account tho, just that they would get too hot to fire or cycle a round.

I have seen a utube vid on a ak47 was shot till it caught fire.

Yeah I seen that one, and the AK only made it to 300 rounds and burst into flames.

AK103K

The military tested the M-16 and M4 to failure.
To a "forced" failure under unrealistic conditions. Youre talking 30 round mag dumps for 18-20 mags, back to back. Who shoots like that?

If you were shooting like that for real, chances are, it wouldnt matter if the gun failed or not.

If you were still alive at the end, I suppose you could use the disabled or empty gun as a hot poker. Ill bet you'd look pretty scary too. :)