So what's with the Walther PPS?

CortJestir

Any recent PPS owners out there (like in the last month or so)? Curious to know if Walther ironed out issues with some of the earlier models (backstrap, ejector, etc.).

joegator

A good buddy of mine got one about two months ago. He has several hundred rounds thru it and reports that it has been 100% reliable. In fact he just ordered a .40 cal version today. He also pocket carries it on a regular basis.

Capt. Dixie

Good To Go

I think the few with bugs have been repaired by factory. I had a 1st Edition that was flawless and a regular 9mm which was flawless and now the 40 and it is fine, too. They by far are the best carry gun I have - CCW type. Very concealable. My 40 is as very accurate at 15 yards. The felt recoil even for the 40 is not a big deal at all. Shot only 50 rounds Saturday in the 40 and hand not even sore whatsoever. Even my Sig 229 has more felt recoil. Get one, you'll like it.

CortJestir

Thanks for the feedback, capt and gator. I was seriously considering one of these a while back but was dissuaded by all the reports on it. Ended up with a P239 which, aside from a few early hiccups, is just dandy now. But I saw one today in .40S&W and it caught my eye again, so I figured I'd see if any progress has been made. Glad to hear some positive reports for once!

CortJestir

I think the .40 is the exact same dimensions with -1 capacity compared with the 9mm. Someone feel free to correct me. From what I've read, however, recoil management on the .40 version is pretty decent for such a tiny package. I'd like to try one out to see for myself, but they're a little hard to come by.

That problem was supposedly worked out. I forget at what serial number range, but someone on the Seecamp forum was very knowledgeable about the topic.

Mine was one from the series after the fix was made according to him. I bout it several months ago.

So far the gun has been a flawless performer but I am not very good with it for some reason.

SAWBONES

I got a new 9mm one, not a "First Edition", several weeks ago.

It's been completely reliable thus far, with several brands and boxes-full of 115gr-127gr premium regular, "+P" and "+P+" JHP. (Yes, yes, I know, Walther recommends not shooting "+P+" loads in this gun.)

It does very well in terms of accuracy and precision with my preferred load, CorBon DPX 115gr+P JHP.

Since it seems quite reliable and accurate, I find it to be an excellent 9mm gun for CCW, given its compact size and light weight.

Harley User

I'm waiting on mine to come in

I had an order for the Beretta sub-compact storm Px4 had my face up aganst the glass looking at the Wather PPS .40 & had a change of heart a PPS 9mm will be in this Oct.

Last edited:

Laserlips

FWIW:

My early series PPS had ejector problems that the gunsmith at S&W could not duplicate, or repair. On the 2nd trip back for warranty repairs they just sent me a new PPS. The 2nd PPS, which was roughly 2500 serial numbers later was just fine.

I sold my PPS, but not because I didn't like the pistol overall, but because I didn't care for the "glocklike" trigger/striker after having the "AS" versions of the P99 and P99c.

IMO if you like the Glock or "glocklike" triggers you will find the PPS a fine cc self defense firearm. I just don't care for them myself.

The sights on the PPS are large and easy to see, and the pistol is extremely THIN and conceals well.

I didn't like the way the dual mag release levers work, as for my taste the trigger is too close to the mag release for use UNLESS you are looking at the mag release levers when you depress them. (both sides depress when you push one side).

Overall I consider the PPS an excellent pistol, very accurate and reliable.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

CortJestir

Thanks for that report, Laserlips. Very helpful! :)

OP ,you made the right decision buying the Sig!

Oh, yeah. Love the P239. As a matter of fact, I'm taking it to a 3-Day SD course next week. It's itching to "get to the office" so to speak and get some work done. :D

Still considering a PPS in .40 to add to my collection though. Despite the initial teething issues, they seem like solid shooters and the thinness is something not to be lightly overlooked.

<sigh> So many guns...so little money...

WVfishguy

I really like my PPS in 9mm. Very accurate and reliable.

It's the only 9mm I've found that is so easy to carry IWB.

However, I have not been able to find spare mags. :(

Couzin

Got my PPS in late Jan - probably 1500-1800 rounds through it. I had some feed ramp hang-ups with hydra-shoks early (tested several defensive type rounds), changed to Golden Sabers exclusively and usually shoot WWB at the range - no problems. Great little carry pistol, 100%, and I don't miss my Kimber at all (although - those 1911s sure are pretty).