so what's not to like about a pump rifle?

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Just curious.

Many think the pump shotgun is the cat's a$$ but when suggesting a pump rifle = eeewww!

What's up with that?

I think maybe mostly is that not many have even shot one. I know I'm that way with a lever as I've shot a .30-30 once - just didn't care for it, but many do.

A pump's way fast, Rem's are totally free-floated & provide excellent accuracy. Detachable mags.

What's not to like?

BTW, pump's not my first choice as I'm a bolt-snob. Besides, the slide on my 760 has a bit of play (duh!) which makes some noise when doing the sneaky bit in the dark timber.

edited 'cause I dint spel gud - publik skul, u no

Last edited:

boing

As a function of market appeal, ugly counts, and that may be why they're not popular. :)

As a function of function, I'll defer to the more experienced membership. :):)

RHarris

There is "slop" in the slide. When holding the rifle, the forward hand can hold the slide, but the rest of the gun can wobble on top of it. This may affect accuracy, or at least be a handicap. It also makes shooting in prone and sitting positions a little different than using other actions when repeating shots.

Of course there is realitive ease in rapid repeat shots from the pump that many find easier than with a lever action and or bolt gun. Advantages and disadvantages like anything else. It seems if most want easy rapid shots they go with a semiauto.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a pump rifle. They are a lot of fun.

BigG

There is a small but loyal following of pumps but for some reason the lever action just caught the buyers' fancy more than the pump action rifle.

Pump shotguns and lever action rifles - who'da thunk it?

Hemicuda

My problem with Remington pump rifles is that about the time that the pump gets slick and smooth, they develop an annoying rattle... and carrying it through the woods without a hand on the forend sounds like a freight train full of scrap cowbells going through the woods...

(and my bolt guns look SOOOOOOOO good... )

Gewehr98

Pump rifles are subjective in beauty...

That much is true. But at least some folks think they're pretty enough that some manufacturers are actually bringing back the Colt Lightning rifles!

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Never noticed a rattle in Dad's 760... only complaint I have ever had is the best balance point for carrying it in one hand is the metal reciever. When its COLD your fingers can stick to it. Wear gloves.

Dad had the firing pin freeze on him one year, apparently the channel got filled with water... which expands as it freezes, and the darn thing wouldn't go off. Scary to un-load.

I always wanted a Savage 170 pump gun, and I might buy a new Lightning, if the make it in 44 mag.

I kinda like pump guns, they were just really pricey compared to a bolt rifle.

Andrew Wyatt

you also can't sling up when using them, and you have to radically adjust your firing position to work the action.

A straight pull bolt gun would be my first choice.

sjones

I have a rem 7600 and I think it is pretty,I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is in 308 and is very accurate,will shoot under 1 inch. I have a shotgun type sling on it that goes around the barrel,so I can sling it over my shoulder if I want to. Also mine doesn't rattle at all. It fits me perfectly and I wouldn't trade it even-steven for any bolt rifle out there,but thats what makes the world go round. different strokes for different folks. sj:D

jem375

Check out the Browning BPR ........I almost bought one in 30-06...very good looking rifle and also has a very smooth pump action...........

Seeker

Inherited the set from grandpa when he passed on - All Remington pumps - .22 Fieldmaster, 30.06 Gamemaster, .35 Gamemaster and a pair of 12 gauge Wingmasters.

Pump seems to work great for me. I mostly shoot the .22 and I am not sure what is meant by,
you have to radically adjust your firing position to work the action.
with the .22 it's a fast action and I don't lose the sight picture. That's off hand maybe you mean from a rest?

45King

Gewehr98 wrote:
Pump rifles are subjective in beauty...
That much is true. But at least some folks think they're pretty enough that some manufacturers are actually bringing back the Colt Lightning rifles!

Got any links or other info on who's producing them? Colt? This looks interesting to me. I wanted one of the IMI Timberwolf .357's when they came out, but they lasted such a short while, I was unable to get my hands on them.

As to pumps being "uglier" than bolt guns, well, I guess it depends on the type....I don't think there's anything uglier than a full-house Weatherby. (Full body armor in place.;))

BusGunner007

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/7600.htm
new_7600.jpg

There's not much to not like about this one.

Poodleshooter

Weight of the metal.
A pump shotgun is light compared to an auto, but pump rifles weigh nearly the same as similar autos. Plus there are so many autos and so few pump rifles.
I like pump rifles, but why get one when I can have a semiauto with almost no trade-offs? Now, a pump/auto rifle (think Benelli M3) would be NEAT!