So what to buy...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Ya'll talked me out of the walther P-22 used as it was the older (pre upgrade) gun and mag.
My local shop has a 10% off sale but that is not the only thing. I am limited and the $279 p-22 was possible. Much more than that and I will likely pass on a plinker. I want the .22 just to pass the time but more so I want my daughter to begin to become comfortable with handguns. She is sixteen and has been shooting the rifle since october. She won't make the step up to the 20 gauge "Cuz its loud daddy" and she sees a recoil. Hopefully I can take her from pistol to shotgun... I do want her to realize... "NO ONE RAPES A .38" as a mantra into adulthood!
Brent

sholling

I'd go with a Ruger 22/45. Probably blued to save money. You're looking at about $250-275 for one of the finest 22s made. You could also go with the standard Mark III, but I like the 22/45 version because of the grip angle. Review

Great read* I Have a Dream: No More Women Abused, Raped, or Murdered

13153.jpg
14307.jpg

# Action: Single Action Only
# Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
# Barrel Length: 5 1/2"
# Capacity: 10 + 1
# Safety: Manual
# Grips: Black Synthetic
# Sights: Adjustable
# Weight: 35 oz
# Finish: Blue Steel

*May have already been posted or linked.

allenomics

The Ruger pistol above (bottom) might be ideal; small 4" barrel with a 1911 grip angle. They come with a fixed or adjustable rear site. On sale, I've seen them for $199.

You might help your cause my empowering your daughter to make her own decision. Let her fire a variety of pistols at the range.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well I will be dipped in dog chit... I never gave the Ruger a look as I thought they were all out of my price range! are they american made? I cannot fathom a superior pistol costing less brand new than a used import!
Thanks fer the links fellers. I will go talk to the shop locally and let them bid on the sale...
Thanks again...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
As for Bri picking out a pistol she likes... I don't think that a person who has never fired so much as a cap gun pistol can make an educated decision. She has never fired my pellet rifle. She likes the Savage .22 bolt but that is the only gun she has ever shouldered. I showed her the Ruger 22/45 and she said "Does it come in pink?"...:eek: I got my work cut out but like I told her... you are shotting DADDY'S pistol and when you turn 21 I will present you with any pistol you like in a pretty hot pink finish... If I could put a pistol in her purse at 18 I would but only if situational awareness is up to par for a person with a gun. I do not believe in putting guns in criminals hands...
Brent

MPanova

You might also want to stop by Academy if you have one close and look at the Beretta NEOS, I have one and it works great, its a little funky looking but its a great target 22. It works great for people with small hands aswell

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa..._handguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0355-00336-7577

I picked one up there for $199 and Im pretty sure the last time I checked they were still about the same price

also check out the Smith which is in the same price range

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa..._handguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0355-03425-7410

one more thing...since she seems to be like my wife and likes things to look good aswell as function then Taurus makes a few female friendly pink guns that I have picked up for my wife over the years

Taurus PT22
122_11_05_07_9_28_36.JPG

Taurus M85UL
122_02_08_07_6_14_42.jpg

Taurus PT111 9mm
122_19_02_08_5_18_33.jpg

122_19_02_08_5_18_07.jpg

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well since this particular purchase will be Daddy's pistol it won't be pink! I ain't shootin' a pink handgun... But like I said, we will look into those as she gets older...
form follows funtion... Like I say about my old motorcycle days, Chrome won't get you home but flat black brings you back...
Brent

sholling

MPanova suggested the NEOS so I thought I'd post a picture. There's a reason that they're called the "Spacegun". I have one and love it but it might be a bit largish for a young lady - depending on her age. The barrels are interchangeable (4.5", 6", 7.5" and ~$100 ea) and they are super easy to clean, and they do handle nicely. The only down side is that I find the front sight to be too thick. Anyway it's a toss up between the 22/45 and the NEOS. FYI spare magazines are $10 from CDNN. Review

You can also customize it for her with these grips.

beretta.jpg

Murdock

O boy, somebody's gonna hate this suggestion.

Ok, your daughter doesn't like noise or recoil, but you want her to learn gun stuff.

For the kind of money you want to spend you can buy a Crosman 600 CO2 pistol in the original box. They are semiautomatic, and you can get at least ten .22 caliber pellets in them. They are a sought after collectible due to their quality, and lots of fun, so if and when you get rid of it to buy a "real" pistol, you won't lose money. If you live someplace where you can't get off work until after dark, you can still shoot it in the basement after work, promoting easy, regular practice with your kid. You can also shoot in your back yard unless you have neighbors that will freak at the sight of a gun. Terrific trigger, excellent adjustable sights, and cheap, frequent, low noise practice, with all of the same gun-handling safety lessons to be learned as a firearm.

I learned to shoot a handgun with a Crosman Mark II in the 1960's and still have one that I shoot regularly. The Mark I version is more accurate than a Ruger Mark II at 50 feet.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Murdock, thanks... The .22 pistols have not enuff recoil to worry about and since she is used to the .22 rifle a bit more bang will be fine... it is the "thundering boom" of the shotgun and the visible recoil. I have tried to get her to try it but not in a forceful way. The .22 pistol be be a kick in the britches for her and I know after the first round I may as well head back to the store for a few more 550 round boxes:D Plus we need the ability to shoot ringneck doves at ranges out to 50 yards to feed a snake.
Brent

Murdock

I envy you

By the time my kid was old enough to really want to be serious about shooting, she had moved too far away from me to be much involved in teaching her. I think it's neat that you are doing this with your daughter.

Buy the Crosman 600 for yourself :D

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have the Gamo Shadow 1,000fps air rifle for them days...:D Drops a squirrel at 60 yards DRT...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well i let my local shop bid on the sale and their distributor has the Ruger on a bit of a sale... Buds is $246 and my shop quoted me $279 so with tax and B-ground check it is $303 out the door. I would have to pay them a $50 dollar transfer fee on the $246 buds price so it looks like they are close enuff locally to do business...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Oh you can bet yer house i will post pics of Bri blowing up some cans, eggs, and shotgun hulls...
Brent