So what "theme" do you follow for your collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchntx

I am very much an impulse kind of person.

So far, my theme has been shiney. :D

Now I have my eye on a Smith 686. Again, shiney ...

X_shooter

I try not to be impulsive by analyzing the bejeezus out of the decision. My theme is useful. Followed by concealable. Followed closely by shiny :D

bedbugbilly

I, myself, have never cared for "shiny" guns - so I guess I'm kind of an oddball. If I buy a pistol, I want a "shooter" and I've always preferred "blued" guns. I have a number of "vintage" handguns - some close to mint and others showing honest wear. The honest wear has never bothered me - I view it as "character".

Now don't get me wrong - I admire and like looking at shiny guns and I'm happy for the owners as they are something that they like. The only "shiny" gun that I've ever bought was a 1858 Stainless Remington NMA that I picked up this past summer - now you talk about "impulse" - that was impulse for me but the main factor for me in buying it was that it was NIB and I got it at a really nice price. I've been looking at it all summer and am still trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or use it for trading stock.

In the longrun - my "theme" is probably more related to cartridge - which my favorite is the 38 spl. I just love vintage wheel guns that are chambered in that . . . . which are "blued". :)

Wrothgar

Caliber.

In Semi-auto, I am trying to stick to 9mm or .45ACP, although I do have a .380ACP.

In Revolver, I'm trying to stick to .38SPL and .357 Mag. Too many calibers get's expensive.

Skadoosh

Hmmmm....interesting question.

My collection, if I had to describe it, is based on "reliable quality" and is pretty much battle ready. Everything I have in my collection must prove itself 100% reliable .... or I get rid of it.

gunluver

No theme really per se. But I have been through a lot of guns and traded them off or sold them for various reasons. While I understand the importance of polymer, it just doesn't "do it" for me. I got rid of all my polymer handguns in favor of steel or alloy (except for one....my Ruger LCP). I also prefer either SAO or DA/SA, and I like to have an exposed hammer. This is all due to owning different guns and shooting a lot of different guns until I found what I like.
I prefer blued over stainless for looks. But for some reason or another I really like certain nickel plated guns. I like revolvers and semiautos equally.

The biggest theme or reason I buy is FIT TO ME. I like handguns to fit my hand and be comfortable to me while shooting.

sailskidrive

Germanic produced firearms. Hks and SIGs... Glocks from the Ostreich. A SIG 210 would be hand gun Utopia.

I have a serious affliction causing me to purchase AR parts which eventually morph into additional rifles.:rolleyes:

KyJim

I don't really have a "theme" but I tend to buy certain types of handguns for awhile. Recently, I have mostly purchased 1911s.

27% Colt handguns
36% Smith handguns

49% semi-auto
51% revolver

44 AMP

Staff
I have a collection of Magnum caliber auto pistols, would that count?

Have 7 Ruger single actions in .45 Colt. Does that count?

Have WaA Pruf Mauser Hsc, P.08 and Walther P.38. Does that count?

have two T/C Contender frames and around a dozen barrels, does that count?
:D

Deja vu

I try to keep my guns limited to one of 4 bullets...

I stick to 4 rounds

45/70 Govt
357 Magnum
17 HMR
12 Gauge

My gun List is

45/70: Marlin SBL, Marlin CB, Magnum Research BFR

357 mag: Marlin 1894 18 inch barrel, Marlin 1894 22 inch barrel, S&W 640, S&W 627, S&W 686, Ruger New Vaquero, Bond Arms Derringer, Coonan Classic

17HMR: Remington 597 (exchanged for a Marlin XT17VSFL but still waiting on the return) Taurus Tracker

12 GA: Remington 870 and an old Stoeger SXS that I may some day turn in to an NFA SBS.

the bad thing is I cant keep my wife to follow my rules and she owns a few guns in different calibers. Particularly a Sig P238 (380acp) and a Taurus Judge (410 shot shells) and my oldest boy asked me for a Ruger 10/22

AustinTX

Quality above all else. Beyond that, there's not any real theme and pattern. I have semi-autos and wheelguns in a range of calibers, finishes, and sizes.

Once in a while, I'll be drawn to something bizarre and obscure that is not necessarily of the highest quality (the FEG, for instance).

psyfly

I like guns that aren't being made anymore.

I like pairs, for some reason.

A pair of .44 magnums (and a pair of Rugers) for example:
Ruger Redhawk .44mag and Ruger .44 mag semi-auto carbine.

I like the unusual; one of my favorites is a Peters-Stahl parts gun, a 1911 in 10mm made up of U.S. and German parts with each part stamped with the Peters-Stahl logo.

Theme, I guess is slightly odd.

Much like myself, I'm told.

w

Sparks1957

practical, rugged, reliable are my criteria. no use for pretty guns, all of mine are workers.

limit myself to a few calibers (.22, 9mm and .45) in pistols, easy to maintain the ammo inventory for them.

working on the rifle part of the collection now, will concentrate in .223 and .308 calibers there, as I already have a 9mm carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.