So What Is One To Do When One Cannot Get To The Range? I'll Tell You What.

cslinger

One pulls out the trusty air rifle and happily plinks away, that's what. :D

I really wanted to get to the outdoor range today but with scattered storms threatening and a weather radar picture that didn't look promising it just didn't look worth the trip. So what was I to do?

So I pulled one of the air rifles out of the safe, a CZ Slavia 631LUX to be exact and headed to my very nice, albeit meager backyard. 45 minutes later I had a nice content smile on my face and a very dead Coca Cola can that tried to mount it's version of Picket's charge with much the same results. :evil:

Anyway for any shooters out their that think a "BB" gun is not a real gun and could never scratch any shooting itches you may want to take a few moments to browse some of the nicer, read non-Wally World, offerings out there today. These are not you Red Ryders of past let me assure you. I have a Beeman .22 that could easily take small game and has killed a possum at roughly 75 yards with a headshot. The CZ I shot today, however, shoots the readily available .177 caliber pellet and is a great plinking rifle for the money.

At any rate since we all know this thread is worthless without pics. Here they are.

Enjoy, shoot safe.
Chris

415046-big.JPG

415045-big.JPG

415047-big.JPG

281 Quad Cam

All right... I'll bite.

Around what price range are these high quality pellet guns?

What is used for propulsion? (ie. C02 canister, hand-pumping, magic)

What sort of accuracy can you expect? (I've heard they can be more accurate than rifles.)

When I was a child I had quite a bit of experience with BB guns riccocheting right back at me. A childhood friend only has one eye now. :eek: Do these pellet guns have the same tendency? What is a safe backdrop?

How much noise do they make?

That seems like enough questions.... :D

cslinger

Current quality air rifles can range from about $100 up to well over a grand or two. The one shown can be had for around $90.00 or so.

They are not that loud at all but the higher powered rifles can make more of a snap then you think.

My two guns use spring compression of air to launch the pellets. Basically you cock the gun, load the gun, close the barrel, pull the trigger. The cocking compresses te spring piston, the trigger pull releases it pushing the air and pellet forward.

Air rifles can be extremely accurate within their range limitations. My .22 Beeman can happily shoot at 25-50 yards though.

A bunch of magazines, a few towels any .22 grade trap etc. will make an acceptable backdrop. The key thing to remember is these are still guns so eye protection should still be used.

Dre_sa

im rather experienced in the world of air rifles (at least i'd like to think so)
i live in south africa so i cant answer your question on pricing, but the chinese have made some real good ones for next to nothing.
propulsion- the most common ive seen are the spring/piston rifles, but i have also seen quiet a few pre-charged pneumatic (pcp) rifles. these use a resevoir of air stored under pressure to be released when the trigger is pulled. these also give little to no recoil, hence SUPER accuracy.
most of the rifles will group the size of a quarter at 10 meters after they have been sighted in and broken in. i have an air rifle (spring/piston driven) that pushes .177 pellets close on 1000 fps, i have made shots on pest birds out to 80 meters, kill shots out to 30 regularly. this i did with basic adjustable iron sights.
as far as ricochets are concerned, with lead pellets, there is barely ever any the pellets generally mushroom out nicely when they hit a wall or similar hard object that it cant pnetrate.
air rifles can be great fun, i own many and shoot them all regularly in my garden.

skeeter1

Airguns are good fun

I've got two of them, a Benjamin .22 pump pistol and a Crossman .22 pump rifle. When the weather is bad, you might be able to use one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRAP415-948-1875.html

My basement is divided, so I can't set up anything there, but my garage (3-car) is big enough to have a little fun. CCI long CBs out of one of the rifles are also fun, and haven't gotten me in trouble with the cops... YET!

Fremmer

My buddy and I spent Friday night shooting a $39.00 Daisy pump airgun from his deck at cans set 50 yards away on a table. I was impressed. Even with open sights, the rifle was darn accurate, and it was a lot of fun. The trigger was good. 10 pumps and the pellet would knock the can off the table.

We called it a "safety test" to make sure that the new rifle functioned properly for his 11 year old son. :D

geronimo13

I've got a crossman 66 powermaster (600'/sec) and the Daisy equivalent ( $40ea) at the summerhome. Shooting a coke can hanging from a tree at a measured 135' could hit it 6 out of 10 w/4X scope, almost as good with irons. At 500 pellets for $4 you can learn a lot about accurate shooting with one. The pellets would drop 3' and keyhole at 160', ricohet?, maybe up close but I didn't get any even at 20'. I shoot (probably illegally) in my back yard (no neighbors to the rear only offramp hillside), so its way more convienient than range visits.

VUPDblue

I have a Beeman .22 that could easily take small game and has killed a possum at roughly 75 yards with a headshot

???...

a .22cal (15gr) pellet out of Beeman's fastest airgun is only going approx 800fps at the muzzle. That is only 22 lb/ft. I own one of these and have killed possum and coons at relatively close range <10 meters. I don't see how it could take a thick-headed possum at 225feet. Was that a typo..?

cslinger

a .22cal (15gr) pellet out of Beeman's fastest airgun is only going approx 800fps at the muzzle. That is only 22 lb/ft. I own one of these and have killed possum and coons at relatively close range <10 meters. I don't see how it could take a thick-headed possum at 225feet. Was that a typo..?

No typo at all. I was at my parents in Maryland and they have quite a large amount of open land. We were off the back deck and shot the possum with the Beeman .22 scoped and it dropped like a sack of bricks. We measured it off and it came out to between 70-80 yards. We were using pointed .22 pellets and I also believe the FPS was in the area of 750-850 FPS. I was surprised and amazed myself.

Chris

FirstFreedom

flippin' sweet!

All the king's horses, all the king's men, and the best aluminum surgeon on the planet couldn't revive that can! :)

629 shooter

I guess you can count me in as far as air rifle goes. I use mine at the 50 ft indoor range during the miserable winter months. Here is mt Beeman R7 along with my outdoor gun , a 700 LTR.
LTRR7.jpg

The Beeman is amazingly accurate! I did actually shoot a few rounds theough it last night since it was very windy and rainy outdoors.