So what done it?

wyobohunter

I have a .338 RUM (same one I posted the range report for yesterday). I have spent lots of time, tears and more $$$ than I care to admit trying to get the darn think to shoot better than 4-6 moa. The list of things I did that added very little accuracy below.

1st- Added a muzzle brake. The thing was so painfull to shoot out of the box that I can't even call the results a "group", more like a casual gathering of holes on the same large piece of paper. Also checked stock to action screw tension etc. The brake got me down to maybe 8" groups.

2nd- Floated the bbl, glass bedded the action, cleaned up and lightened the trigger, also had scope mounting taps enlarged for bigger screws.. All at once. Now I started printing the 4-6" groups, still not what I'd call good for long range work.

3rd- bought a higher magnification scope (went from 3-9 to 4-12). Groups were now a little more consistantly 4".

Finally-Started fire forming/neck sizing only, reaming flash holes, turning necks, weight sorting cases, and fire lapped the bbl. 1.5" groups on first range outing.

As you can see I didn't follow the scientific method of changing one thing at a time. In your opinion what is the most likely thing that improved my accuracy from 4" to 1.5"? Or do you think it was a cumulative thing?

Last edited:

T.A.Sharps

I will have to vote for the muzzle break.

You can't shoot right at all if you are thinking about getting punched while looking through the scope trying to concentrate on the shot.

The trigger helped you a lot too, less movement in your hand while pulling the trigger. Everything else you did improved your shot too, but I think the biggest thing against you would be the recoil.

If you have a light trigger and a good barrel you are already set up to get good results. I would put money on the recoil being the #1 enemy in your shooting.

If you can manage the recoil even more, I would bet you could hold at least 1", I don't know what rifle you are shooting though, but most rifles are at least 1moa shooters with the right ammo.

44 AMP

Staff
Considering the last thing you did...

apparently had the greatest impact on accuracy, I would vote for the ammo being custom fitted to the gun as a very significant factor. Accuracy is about consistancy. If you ammo isn't consistant, the finest gun won't shoot well.

Reminds me of the story I heard about a guy in the phillippines, who was about to sell his Steyr SSG real cheap, because it would only group 8" or so.
A friend gave him a box of match ammo (he had been shooting Philippine surplus ball) and he was amazed at the difference! He kept the rifle, now real happy with it.

Ammo makes a lot of difference.

wyobohunter

I also suspect it's the ammo... Recoil is no longer an issue, at all. No way am I gonna do anything to add more weight to the nearly 10+ lbs behemoth. It kicks me lighter than my 30-06 (Tikka) w/180 gr loads.

crowbeaner

Your experience highlights what I've been telling people for years; that uniforming flash holes and primer pockets can literally cut inches off your groups. Glad you finally got some hunting accuracy from the boomer. Now all you have to do is turn case necks, throw your charges with extreme accuracy, find the best primer/powder combo, find the uber bullet that the rifle prefers, and get a shoulder replacement from all that recoil. Ain't reloading grand? CB.
OH; almost forgot; try indexing your cartridges when you chamber them- line the RP, or WW, or FC or whatever up into the same place every time (like 12 o'clock) and see if that helps any.

wyobohunter

I do turn the necks. I've never tried indexing the cases though, I'll try it next time. No shoulder replacement necessary, muzzle brake.

Scorch

Personal opinion, I feel it was likely the fire-lapping. Sounds like you tried everything else that would have made a difference, then when you fire-lapped it, it shot better.