So the 642 is really "all that", huh?

Onslaught

As I've lamented several times, I'm searching in vain for a true "grab and go" pocket pistol in a "non-mouse" caliber...

So on a whim, I make a hasty trade for a Kel-Tec P11...

Nope... not it.

I keep eying what I BELIEVE to be a S&W 642 in the shopkeeper's display case... It's a stainless finished J frame, feels pretty light, has a concealed hammer, is .38 Special only, and has the "Boot grips". I've seen lots of "I love my 642" in response to "favorite pocket pistol", or "what .38" and "your favorite snubbie", so it seems to be right up there in the popularity department, and I'm sure it's fanclub is not built upon looks alone. It seems like it might be a good choice.

The price tag for this latest potential selection is $479.

Price good? Price bad? Price eh?

Also, where on the pistol is the model number listed? I didn't actually see "642" on it anywhere, but judging from the S&W webite, that's what it looks to be.

LBC

Yeah, the 642 is "all that" AND a bag of chips!:D I've carried one every day at work for several years. Light enough to carry in dress pants or summer shorts, big enough to shoot easily, good cartridge with a variety of loadings. Better than a .380 or .32, IMHO, and more reliable. Get two!

MikeJ

I've gone through the same predicament for many years so I can relate and sympathize. The 642 is the concealed hammer version, Centennial, weighs 15 oz. and has an aluminum alloy frame and stainless cylinder and barrel. I had bought, years ago, a model 37 airweight, 15 oz., that was finished in bright nickel and got the bug to get something with more bullets, more power etc. and got a P11. Nothing wrong with it but it just isn't for me either. I retired my 37 because they don't finish them in bright nickel anymore and want to preserve it. I finally decided on the S&W 640, all stainless, Centennial that weighs 23 oz. not nearly as pocketable as the 642 but a great shooter. If I were going for a lightweight .38 the 642 would definitely be it. Not the most comfortable gun to shoot, particularly with .38+P's but much preferable to me over the titanium and scandium models. In fact I may just wind up getting a 642 sometime for its portability and pocket carry. As far as price is concerned, $479 isn't bad but around here $449 is more like it and I've even seen them as low as $419. I thought the model number was on the barrel but I could be wrong on that one. They are in my opinion the best lightweight snub.

M1911

I've got a 642. I wouldn't get a .357 in that weight and I wouldn't shoot a lighter .38. For me, 158 gr .38 Spcl +P hurts out of the 642. And I'm not terribly accurate with it either (those sights are mighty small). But it does fit into the pocket pretty easily. I'm a better shot with my MK9, but it's a whole bunch heavier.

M1911

JohnKirk

Open the cylinder, look under the barrel above the pivot point for the cylinder. The model number should be looking at you.

Marko Kloos

Yes, the M642 is "all that". Lightweight, compact, good power-to-weight ratio, good looks, and simple operation.

sw640bs.jpg

CULLENIII

It is all that. I have my second centennial--this one a nickle 442 model paid 280 for it about 2 months back. I use barami hip grip with tyler adaptor and/or uncle mikes ankel holster--go back and forth between ankle and iwb. I carry it crossdraw most of time with glock33 strongside. But for just get up and go--i take it first. Love it and live it, get some bianchi speed strips and Federal nyclad ammo for it as well.

deputy tom

YEP! 642's are all that.I bought mine a few years ago for $389.00.I can't comment on the price You quoted as I don't need to buy another one so I haven't been looking at prices.tom.:)

fastbolt

The 642-1 is a great little pocket revolver. It's rated for lifetime +P use, and unlike the Ti & Scandium/Ti guns you can shoot lead all day long. That's only important to me because my primary preferred load is the 158gr LHP +P.

I put off buying one of these for far too long. Partly because I already owned a 649 bodyguard, and a SP-101, and partly because I was always searching for that little extra "firepower", and was hesitant to add yet another 5-shot snub to my battery.

Finally, one of the other range staff and I decided to go order them together ... for the same reasons, used as an off duty lightweight summer pocket gun ... and both of us REALLY like them. I should've bought one much sooner ...

You can lighten them up another ounce or two by switching the "boot" grips for one of the Bantam grips. They snap on, eliminating the grip screw, and they're also just a tad smaller in profile, while still fitting a medium size hand very comfortably.

A GREAT pocket gun ... especially for those times you want to be armed, but don't want to "feel" like you're armed ...

While a couple of boxes of +P ammunition is a little wearing on your trigger finger, it's not an unpleasant revolver to shoot 2-3 boxes of standard ammunition through for normal practice ...

The sights are larger than the older guns, but still difficult for older eyes to see in the daylight. I used some of the flourescent red/orange sight paint on the front sight, and it jumps right out at me under any light bright enough to see by ...

For daylong trips on my motorcycle I've found that I can quite easily carry enough speedloaders, speed strips and loose ammunition ... without noticing it, stashed in pockets here and there, or in a very small camera belt case which will also hold the revolver ... to have 55 rounds along. And I still feel more comfortable than when I carry one of my regular pistols and sufficient spare magazines.

Laziness and paranoia makes for an interesting combination in middle age ...

I think you'll like one ...

I have been wanting a 642 for awhile. My dealer bought one for himself and I coveted his. He normally buys a gun and within a couple months he tires of it and puts it up for sale. But it seems he is keeping the 642. I was in the shop yesterday and brought the subject up. He said that RSR has them cheaper than he bought his for, so I was going to order one. Then I started looking at the S&W catalog and got confused. Did I want a .357 or a .38 ? What were the Ti & Scandium/Ti guns all about ? Should I forget the whole idea and buy a 625 ?
So I left with nothing.

Kentucky Rifle

I wasn't looking for a 642...

However, my regular gun shop has a brand new one that he'll sell me for $403.95. I can't seem to stop thinking about it. The extra 3 ounces a 642 weighs makes it WAY more comfortable to shoot than an Aitlite Ti. It's quite amazing really. Only three more ounces.

Oh damn, I'm hooked:D

KR

Clemson

That 3 ounces of difference between the 642 and the 342 amounts to 25% weight penalty (or advantage, depending on your point of view) for what it's worth.

The 642 is a very competent Concealed Carry gun. I happen to like the Ti versions better, and I really don't feel much difference in recoil when I fire 125 grain Plus P loads in both. I ended up with a 342 for the price that Onslaught is quoted for a 642. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the 642 from a user perspective. It is an excellent piece.

hsvhobbit

642/442 is indeed 'all that'. If all you want is a gun you can drop in a jeans pocket, that's chambered in a reasonable caliber and is un-finicky about maintenance. they're the ticket. The itty-bitty autos are flatter but they don't carry any easier. While everybody's hung up on the ideal caliber, be it 40/45/357mag..yada yada..the 38/ 158 SWC's been good enough for more decades than I've been alive.And that's the key. You can get a 'small enough' gun to carry everywhere, in a caliber that's 'good-enough'...I've dropped one in my jeans, gone out and spent a full day helping a friend move and NEVER wondered if my weapon was concealed, NEVER worried if I was printing and before the end of the day, had literally forgotten I had it in my pocket...I've since gotten an Airlite 38, and it's just 'more-better' for carry. but ya know, the Airweight's are good to go.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, lendringser...

...there's some ugly black stuff on your 642 where the wood's supposed to be. ;)

treeprof

Onslaught - $479 is $50 too high for these parts. I see them at the Ga Mtn and Eastman shows for $425 or so. But yes, they are "all that".

Onslaught

Hey lendringser

...there's some ugly black stuff on your 642 where the wood's supposed to be.
LOL :D

Wow, that's a lot of responses for one day, considering this post was uncontroversial, uninsulting, and didn't contain the words "which is better" anywhere in the thread ;)

Thanks for the replies.... I've made up my mind. I'm skipping the gym at lunch today, going over to the shop, and see if there's ANY WAY (since it's unfired, uncleaned, and not even disassembled) that the owner would PLEASE take back this P11 I got a couple days ago in that bad trade... along with $150 for the 642. I know that sounds low, but he considers the trade we made a "$275 even swap", which puts my offer at $425.

I'll come back and let you guys know his answer. Fortunately, there's no waiting period in GA, and Firearms License holders don't even have to endure the "instant" (pha!) background check.

In case you wondered, I traded an 888 carbine for the P11 :eek: It jammed about twice per mag, so I couldn't sell it on TFL without saying so, which still would have made it worth @ $275, plus all the hassle of shipping. I told the dealer about it, and he says he can straighten it out... STILL, hasty trade.

redhawk44

I carry a 442 which is pretty much the same gun only blue.

Love it

One thing: Shoot it enough to be sure it fires--every time--with the ammo of your choice. Sometimes--and this not uncommon--double action only revolvers will miss a round now and then if they are loaded with hard primers.

You don't want that if you get into a fight.