So tell me about the S&W 629-2

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Gun shop employee called me today and told me they got a 629-2 in on a trade. It was hardly ever shot and in pristine condition.

7.5" Barrel price tag - $295 :D

I bought it.

I know it was introduced in 1988 but not much else about this model.

Enlighten me por favor!

C.R.Sam

You stole it.

I have NO info on one with a 7 1/2" barrel. Lessen it be a Lew Horton 629 Hunter.....then you double stole it.

Good catch Son. Hope somebody comes in with details on yours.

Sam......you stole it.:)

I had one and sold it supposedly for a Dan Wesson pistol pack in 45LC. But ended up finding a 625 Performance Center Hunter in 45LC instead. The 629-2 was a good gun. Mine was also in pristine condition and was bead blasted at the factory. Sold it for $475, so you made out very well. Never had any problems and it did shoot its fair share of full power loads. Very accurate and mild.

Now if I can just find me one of those Extreme's, cheap.

Robert

Ledbetter

Greetings

I have a 4.5" inch barrel with no underlug 629-2. It is the same as the Mountain Gun but does not have those words engraved on it.

Zander

Son...

I can't find any info on a 7.5" barrel either.

Trying to imagine why someone would lop off .875" from the 8.375" version unless it was a custom run of some kind.

We all know that Mr. Irwin hates stainless handguns, but maybe he'll chime in.

You got a real bargain, btw. Don't know if you've owned one before, but they are a hoot to shoot.:cool:

C.R.Sam

Mine was 8 3/8 inch barrel

S&W629classic.JPG

Robert

S&W made a number of runs of 629s with 7.5" barrels, usually special orders for their big jobbers.

The 629-2 went from 1988 to 1990, and had a transitional step in 1989.

The 629-3, "The Magna Classic Stainless" was a run of 1,200 made in 1990.

Tell me this, Son...

Does it have:

1. An unfluted cylinder?

2. Counterbores on the cylinder?

3. Non S&W typical wood grips?

If so, then you have one of 750 guns made in June of 1989 for Accusport.

Retail on those was $650.

Doug 29

Mike:

Any thoughts on the new Smith & Wesson internals? I bought one of the last Model 29's. It seems like a very fine gun, but, not being a metallurgist, I'm curious about the new parts lasting as well as the forged parts.

Doug,

Nope, sorry. Don't know much about the new guts at all.

Zander,

Sorry, but I don't "hate" stainless steel. I just don't like it. Too cold and impersonal.

Zander

Just jerkin' your chain, Mike. I know you don't waste that kind of emotion on inanimate objects, even if they are firearms.

Thanks for your homework...I appreciate it.;)

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
It's not one of 750 guns made in June of 1989 for Accusport.

I shot it yesterday and it has a very smooth trigger pull.

I like stainless steel for my hunting revolvers. That extra bit of rust prevention is very useful when you're occasionally sitting in the wet snow or up in a tree stand with cold raining coming down. Blue guns shiver at that thought.

I just bought the Leupold rings and base. My buddy is going to tap it next weekend.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Just looked at my 629-2 again (still haven't shot it yet) and noticed it doesn't have a fluted cylinder. Does this mean it's one of the guns that was right before the transition to the 629-3?

Attachments

• 629.jpg
    629.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 84