So tell me about S&W M38s

Sir William

I am considering a M38 snub in 38 Special. Alloy and flatlatch. I am thinking 158 gr Federal JHPs. Anybody have one? This one is blue/anodized. I may just buy another M10 though, a 3" RB M10-8. It offers +1 capacity, +P capable, round butt for easier concealment and a better balance with the 3" barrel. I have just always wanted a M38.

BillCA

Dandy little guns.

The M38 is the 14 ounce alloy version of the Model 49 "Bodyguard". The frames are aluminum alloy with steel cylinders and barrels. Produced from 1955 to 1999 with serial numbers ranging from 66000 to 786544 as part of the Chief's Special series. Barrel lengths are typically 2" with some 3" versions reported (rarely seen). Three versions of the flat-latch models are found; Round butt JAS frame, Airweight stamped on barrel and also found with combination of a nickled cylinder with a blued frame and barrel. A two-tone version was created for Michican police supply with blued frame & barrel and a stainless cylinder.

The Model 38 underwent 3 engineering changes - but with 5 modifications under the Model 38 designation between 1957 and 1982. Thumb pieces were changed in 1966.

The M38-1 received a new yoke and retention system along with stud radius in 1988.
The M38-2 in 1990 introduced the 1/8" wide front sight, replacing the narrow 1/10" sight.
The M38-3 in 1997 switched to the J-Magnum frame and is +P rated.

Note: Early model guns had the clothespin type cylinder stop spring. From what I understand, this spring is inferior to the later coil spring type.

Current valuation of a S&W Model 38 in Excellent condition is $300

You'd be smart to shoot standard pressure loads in the M38. The older aluminum frames were prone to stretching if fired with a lot of +P ammo. The stretching could cause the cylinder to not lock up or the gun to get out of time. The old adage "Carry Lots, Shoot Little" was coined for the early (pre-scandium) alloy S&W's.

We used to handload the Speer 146gr JSWC-HP to about 800-850 fps out of Colt Det. Specials and steel framed model 36's. Reducing that to 775 fps would probably be a decent load in the lightweight version.

The closest gun I have to this is a Model 042 Centennial (transition model) and it is a dandy gun to carry, you hardly know it's there. The down side is that the anodizing can be scratched if you carry in a front pocket with other metal objects and, of course, it can be a handful when fired.

Sir William

I formerly had a 637. I hated it for many reasons. I always did like the Dick Tracy look of a M38. I am wanting a lighter and better than a 32 S&W Long dog walking revolver. I know a J frame will fit easily in the inside left cigar pocket of my overcoat. My 637 used to ride there nicely. I also have a similar pocket in my Winchester promo leather jacket. I plan to carry a 4" M10 in the outside pocket and speedstrips for both 38 Specials. If I buy the M38, I will send it back to S&W for a checkover/refinish and new grips.

Dave Swaffield

Sir,
Please don't allow anyone to talk you out of buying a M38. In my neck of the woods (just south of Cleveland, Ohio), they are EXTREMELY hard to come by. I have looked high/low for one, but no luck. I finally got frustrated and bought a new M37 (no lock) and am reasonably content with that.
I carry Winchester 158 grain SWC standard velocity in the gun, but have no problems with shooting/carrying Remington 158 grain LHP +P on occasion.
Excellent revolvers, those J-frames.
Merry Christmas!!
Semper fi,
Dave Swaffield

Tacoma

Reciently found a nice older mod 38 RB myself. It's become one of my two favorite carry guns. ( The other, 2nd place gun is a newish 642) . The mod 38 is a perfect pocket carry gun IMHO. Only two oz heavier than a $700 mod 360/342 and has the BEST (IMHO) hammer arangement. Occasional +p won't kill the gun but a regular diet of them should be avoided.
On the flip side of that, a RB , snubbie mod 10 is also a sweet gun. Mine is a favorite at "snubbie matchs" at the local club. Everybody wants to shoot it as it's "right sized" , has an ultra smoth action and absorbs recoil very well.
I'd buy both myself:D

harbinger

My m38 no dash goes everywhere with me.
Stock grips, and a Tyler-T...just fits perfectly in my hand.
It's the snubby that all the other snubs look up to, wishing they could be it, but they can't. :D

Only standard pressure loads go through mine. If I ever run across another, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat. I don't care for the finish on the 638.
Buy it, you'll like it. If you don't, you'll have no problems finding a buyer.
Just remember me. :)

XavierBreath

SmithWessonM38.jpg

My M38 is my grab and go pocket gun. It is a superb pocket gun.

Other than the usual Jim March's Revolver Checkout, one area of concern is the hole in the recoil plate that the cylinder pin enters. This hole frequently gets elongated, and can result in a loose cylinder. Be wary of end play.

Jim Watson

My M38 is loaded with 158 gr LSWCHP +P and I have shot enough of them to know how it feels and where it hits. I don't anticipate getting in enough gunfights to wear it out. Routine practice is with wadcutters or standard speed 158 RN.

gfen

I have the same era M38 as XB does (which is why I love when he posts that picture), in the same Michigan Police style but with Crimson Trace LG305 grips. I love it, goes anywhere and I never notice it weight or bulk on me.

Matter of fact, it just came back from S&W today. Timing fixed with a replaced cylinder stop spring.

Don't let those 642 fans confuse you, the best J frame has the hump. ;)

BillCA

J-Frames

For years I disliked the J-Frames because of their 5-round capacity, difficulty in shooting accurately and the caveat to not shoot an alloy frame too extensively with hotter (SD) ammo.

Of course I disliked the L-Frame when it came out because it looked too much like a Python but that's another discussion.

Just within the last year I purchased my first J-Frame - a M649 .357 Mag - something I could shoot +P JHP ammo through! I like it a lot, but found that it was a tad heavy to carry in some cases.

Not long after that, a funny thing happened ....

I put this M649 in the safe...
M649Fobus02.jpg

And it seemed that the next time I looked....

jduo03.jpg

There were a pair of J-frames - the M649 and a Model 042.
My best guess is that the M649 was lonely and needed some company.

After marveling at this for a while, I put them into the safe together thinking I'd be safe with them on different shelves. But noooo...

I should have known better.

Really.

The next time I opened the safe I found they'd produced "baby girl"...
SW432PDhand.jpg

About now you're wondering where you can get a safe like mine.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the phone lines in the same room. I suspect that they're getting out of the safe when I'm not around and calling up their friends and relatives to come live with me.

Don't laugh.

That cute little .32 H&R must've called her grandmother to come live with her because the next time I opened the safe....

M31_1_0491sm.jpg

This elegant lady likes to stay close to Baby Girl. They have similar diets, though Baby Girl does like hers a little hotter. Like a lot of older women, Elegant Lady lies about her age - claiming she's 31, but I know that she's been around since the 1960's!