So SHTF Guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojack79

Well I feel kinda dumb, because I probably could have just been using this one section of the forum to talk about my current acquisitions and my future plans for acquiring more what I'd call SHTF Guns. So I've come up with a list of the supposed best calibers for such a scenario and am curious what you all think, is this list good? Do I need to add anything to it? Take anything away from it? Do you have any experience with sticking up on these calibers and weapon's systems? I'm eager to learn and love conversation.

Here's the list as well as what I've been able to attain so far.

Calibers for SHTF Guns.

.22LR/Magnum.

380 ACP. ✓

9mm. ✓

45 ACP.

12 Gauge.

5.56 NATO/223 Remington.

.308 Winchester.

ballardw

I would say any discussion of choices regarding SHTF should include the parameters of what type of S is involved and the purpose of each cartridge.

I noticed in your new member introduction that you sold swords to buy pistols. In some SHTF scenarios a sword might be a better choice (read S. M. Stirling "Dies the Fire" for an unlikely but illustrative example).

You will find people that advocate stocking up on .22LR as barter if nothing else.

My personal considerations would be pick one center fire pistol cartridge and .380 wouldn't make my list. Probably 9mm for reasons of cost, terminal ballistics, portability and demand. But along with a given cartridge comes the firearm and considerations of accessories such as magazines, batteries, replacement wear parts like springs and firing pins, not to mention good holster and magazine pouches. Doesn't do much to have 50,000 rounds and have the springs in the pistol worn out at 10,000. Depending on the SHTF scenario you may have an issue with being able to recover used magazines (think zombie apocalypse and hordes of targets) so multiple spares would apply.

Similar applies to rifles only more so. It isn't too difficult to carry two pistols if needed but two rifles is quite another story. And very problematic if they are different caliber.

22 magnum is an interesting beast for consideration. Ammo cost is about the same as 9mm but without much chance of reloading (if that is an element of the scenario) but is very compact so if the terminal ballistics isn't quite as important as weight then may be viable. But if you frequently need better ballistics, think zombie apocalypse, the advantage of weight may strongly contraindicate.

Mal H

Staff
We don't do "doomsday" types of discussions here at TFL (see rule 5g).

If you want to rephrase the topic and try again, you are welcome to do so.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.