So many$$'s for a .22

clayking

but everytime I shoot my friends S&W 41, I get the cravings to buy one. I have a Ruger Mark 111, which is a nice shooter, but that SW is so sweet, but geez, that much for a .22 is hard to bite:p. It's on my to buy list, along with several others, but just can't seem to pull the plug on this one. I did offer someone less for a Colt Target Match, so I'm waiting to see if he wants to sell..............................ck

maas

unless it changed with the markIII (havn't shot a markIII yet) ruger used to be the gold standard in .22s. i own a markII government target model and love it. the gun is way more acurate than i ever will be. so unless the markIII's have issues id stick with it.

Saab1911

but everytime I shoot my friends S&W 41, I get the cravings to buy one. I have a Ruger Mark 111, which is a nice shooter, but that SW is so sweet, but geez, that much for a .22 is hard to bite

Is the S&W 41 noticeably more accurate than the Ruger Mark III?

Cheers,

Jae

kristop64089

This sounds like Blasphemey(I think it is), but my S&W 22S(all steel) Shoots circles around my Ruger MKIII. And the Ruger is Very Accurate.

I know it's not a 41, but at least it's a S&W:eek:

Old Gaffer

S&W 41's aren't that expensive - go price a Hammerli 208 :eek:

Ruger Mk2s are [supposedly] easier to work on and get a good trigger on compared to the Mk3s, but I'm only repeating what I've heard, not what I know for myself.

+1 on the High Standard Victors, though be very careful to either get an older one made in Hamden (first) or New Haven (second), or to test fire it with every magazine that it's going to come with if it's a made-in-Texas model. The TX High Standards are known problem children, though if you get one to work (as mine does after extensive modification to the nag holder), they're quite accurate.

Here's a target I cleaned in timed fire (two five-shot strings, 20 seconds per string @ 25 yds, one handed) last Saturday with my Texas High Standard Victor using Federal Target (#714) std vel ammo.

firstclean-7_12_08-timed.jpg

The Texas guns WILL work, but most probably not right out of the box.

All the best,
Rob

larvatus

Consider a used Browning Medalist. You get much better reliability and flexibility of configuration, at least the same mechanical accuracy, and a comparable trigger with a dry firing mechanism built in.

LHB1

When I was shooting Bullseye competition, the S&W M41 was the top quality factory gun, right behind custom pistols by Jim Clark, Austin Behlert, Bob Chow, Jim Shockey, etc. There were also a number of Rugers and High Standards (top models) which performed far better with custom trigger jobs.