So many r modifying n reloading 4 bolt guns.

What makes a shooter feel complete which load did you say ok this one?
What and why soo many modification stocks receiver barrel trigger mags.
Go back 40-50 years was there this much passion in shooting with limited modifications.
I'm new to shooting bolt guns for fun and looking for opinions that I could benefit from.I have a new REM SPS Varmint 308 W/VX6 to start my new hobby.
I have been to the range enough to know I need to move out past 100 yards.I do go to a range that has 200yrds which my next trip will be too.
Being I'm on medical disability and funds are very limited is it possible to enjoy my factory set up.I do practice technique with my 10/22 and it has helped alot.

Happy Jesus Birthday everyone!

Last edited:

std7mag

Iwana,

Welcome to the forum!!

Your rifle setup should comfortably get you out to 400 yards or so.

The trend now seems to be in the long distance arena. We are talking 1000 yards +. To do that consistently requires a more specialized rifle.

Basic bedding the stock is well within most home gunsmithing ability, along with stock upgrading.

As for reloading, I shoot many different rifles, handguns, with many different weights and styles of bullets. All are meant for different things.

No matter which rifle I'm loading for, I pick a bullet for a certain job (coyote hunting for instance), look at the different powders for that particular bullet weight. I check my firearm for COAL (cartridge over all length).
I then do a ladder test with the powder of choice. (From starting load I go up .3gr of powder to the max powder charge listed in the manual). I look for the 3 shots that are the most consistent vertically. And use the middle loading.

I don't care about max velocity, I'm looking for the most accurate load with that powder/bullet combo out of that particular firearm.

I hope this helped.

Happy Hollidays!!!

Std7mag

HiBC

Folks have all sorts of attitudes about any modification to a gun.
To many people,it devalues the gun.To some,it I an atrocity.Some folks seem to have an other world "pure virgin" thing.
Whatever.
I'm just not real impressed with most new guns.And I expect guns to fit.I'm not average size.
If I decide a 48 inch Handi-Man jack does not fit well in my pickup,I won't hesitate to make it a 42 inch Handi_Man jack. With the exception of fine old guns,and double guns,a few others,most modern commercial guns are the same as that Handi-Man jack.I am free to make it suit me.
I don't much care what anyone else thinks.
As far as what folks used to do? Find some older 1950's.60's,70's John T Amber Gun Digests and look at the work of the Gunsmith trade in those days.
Mostly mil surp bolt guns.Some real nice work.

I've made parts that are in aircraft,submarines,satellites,intercontinental ballistic missles,parts that are life and death or failure costs the big bucks.

A gun is not so different.Once a person has the confidence in technical skills building a gun is like making a pot of chili.
What you have might be a road kill deer ,some peppers,some garlic,and some cumin.
And a knife and some cast iron.

I don't need Hormel,Wolf,Nalley,Ellis,Stokes,or any other canned chili.

So many shooters are like folks who only eat unmodified canned chili.

Or Chef-Boy-R-DEE Italian food.

Van Camps beans

I'm not scared of a rough board or a barrel blank or a basket case.

I have to admit it was fun to take my brother's factory Badger cut rifled 24 in AR-10 T to the band saw and before his eyes push the barrel through !!!.

We made it a 20 in.

Then I hung the upper vertical off the side of a Bridgeport,swung the head over.
Indicated around a pin gage in the bore,and faced the muzzle with a boring head.I think,IIRC,I used a new ,sharp 3/4 in ballmill to recess the crown a bit.
Put a 1/16 corner round cutter in a boring head to round the outside edge.

I must have done OK,it would shoot groups the size of a large lime at 300 yds.

Last edited:

jmr40

Go back 40-50 years was there this much passion in shooting with limited modifications.

From the 1950's on for at least 20-30 years there were still readily available cheap WW-2 surplus bolt guns available. That was the golden age of modifying rifles. There were thousands of guys buying these rifles, changing calibers, experimenting with wildcat cartridges and and all sorts of modifications. And most were doing it in home workshops doing the work themselves instead of buying parts and swapping them.

People do this for the same reasons people customize anything. Cars, motorcycles, it doesn't matter. Lots of guys want something different from what everyone else has. Some chase that last bit of accuracy.