So just how does one find a good lawyer?

L2R

So I have been doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks.

I keep seeing that if I ever use my weapon to retain a good lawyer but I have not seen as to how I should go about locating one.

So a couple of questions come to mind;

1-should I put one on retainer in advance and should I meet him/her before I have an issue and hope we never meet again?

2-how would I know a good one from a bad one?

I don't mind using the yellow page reviews for a landscaper but then, I can always hire another if it doesn't work out.

SARuger

Hmmm, doesn't a retainer require a fee? It did in my divorce.

I have a couple I picked out, put them in my contacts on my cell but thats as far as I am going to go until the time/need arises

NJgunowner

I'd check with your local firearms organizations, they usually have a list of attorneys who have experience in dealing with this stuff. Some local organizations (and occasionally the NRA) can even help in those situations as well so you might want to find a good one in your area and become a member.

Radny97

I'm a lawyer and I would be a little careful in shopping around because frankly there are a lot of crappy lawyers out there. Look at their Martindale Hubble rating (ignore the other rating systems as the rest of them are just pay to play marketing.) See if they are a member of the American Inns of Court. And most importantly look for referrals from other lawyers. Those who practice with each other and know the inside of the industry will know best who is good and who to stay away from. Good luck.

pnac

Research this one. uslawshield.com

I'm not a member, but giving it serious consideration. Lawyers are expensive!!:eek::eek:

L2R

thanks all who responded

I researched from local to nationally for information today and finally arrived at the conclusion that paying for insurance was a good idea.

I researched 3 companies and eventually selected ccwsafe.

I hope to never find out if it is good or not but it feels better having a contact and some instructions in my wallet now before an event takes place.

God knows I spend more on less this December. :confused: