So I just bought a Canik TP9 SF Elite and a SCCY CPX-3 380.

Rojack79

And I'm curious what recommendations you guys would have for modifications, holsters, and so on. Also wondering if you have any personal experience with them, what would you say is their greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. I'm coming over from having owned Revolvers for the past 10 years

wild cat mccane

No modifications needed on the TP9 SF Elite. When they first came out, they choked hard on 115gr. Since updated spring so you should be good. It's a copy of the PPQ. I liked mine, but didn't totally win me over. I would have recommended the SFT Mete. Similar size but improved grip cuts. Other than that, you're good on the Elite with nothing needed.

Sccy doesn't have a great reputation. So if you get a good one with some rounds behind it that is worth mentioning, you'll have something to share back to the group.

Enjoy!

44caliberkid

I have a Canik TP9SFX and I wouldn’t change a thing. Accurate, great trigger out of the box, and comes with 3 mags and a holster. It is currently my favorite 9mm to shoot, previously that being a Taurus PT99 with a Wolff spring kit and a Belgian Browning Hi Power. I bought the Canik on a whim because it had a great on sale price and knew nothing about them, but I’m extremely pleased.

Rojack79

No modifications needed on the TP9 SF Elite. When they first came out, they choked hard on 115gr. Since updated spring so you should be good. It's a copy of the PPQ. I liked mine, but didn't totally win me over. I would have recommended the SFT Mete. Similar size but improved grip cuts. Other than that, you're good on the Elite with nothing needed.

Sccy doesn't have a great reputation. So if you get a good one with some rounds behind it that is worth mentioning, you'll have something to share back to the group.

Enjoy!
Honestly I got a steal by finding it at a pawn shop for $350. Sadly the Canik didn't come with it's holster so I have to go and buy one, I did get a light for it however and I'm very happy with that purchase.

I'm hoping my CPX 3 will be good, I shot a few 380's before and liked them, plus the fact that I loved that the ammunition wasn't too expensive and it's rather plentiful.

Honestly the only thing I'd probably grab for my Canik or if I had the money I'd just buy another one and trick it out with a Red Dot and a few other things.

Rojack79

I have a Canik TP9SFX and I wouldn’t change a thing. Accurate, great trigger out of the box, and comes with 3 mags and a holster. It is currently my favorite 9mm to shoot, previously that being a Taurus PT99 with a Wolff spring kit and a Belgian Browning Hi Power. I bought the Canik on a whim because it had a great on sale price and knew nothing about them, but I’m extremely pleased.
Honestly I have yet to go and shoot it but I do love 9mm. I used to own revolvers, a 45LC and a .38 Special but the 45LC was too expensive to shoot, plus the ammunition isn't readily available at times, and the .38 Special gun I had was a pain to shoot.

Honestly I'm really hoping my SCCY is at least good enough to be a decent backup gun, otherwise I might need to see about getting something else.

franco45

I had a CPX-3 that was reliable and easy to shoot. I traded it when I bought my LCP Max. I thought about getting another one because it was such a soft shooter. I ended up with a P365-380 instead. I love my 9mm P365 and the 380 fits in all the 9mm holsters.

Rojack79

I had a CPX-3 that was reliable and easy to shoot. I traded it when I bought my LCP Max. I thought about getting another one because it was such a soft shooter. I ended up with a P365-380 instead. I love my 9mm P365 and the 380 fits in all the 9mm holsters.
Ahh, I hope mines just as good and soft for shooting. It should be but I've not shot it yet. Need to wait till this weekend to do so.

Rojack79

Hmm I'm also curious, I went around to several stores looking for a 9mm Handgun and was shown a few different alternatives to the Canik, a S&W SD9, another S&W, this time and M&P with a 30 round magazine, and finally I looked at a Girson MC9. Was my gut feeling better at deciding than I think?

P.S. I want to show pictures but all of mine are above the limit mark of 1 mb.

Attachments

• PXL_20230414_173045287~2.jpg
    PXL_20230414_173045287~2.jpg
    956 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Rojack79

Oh man, I have so many questions. It seems at least for me, with revolvers I knew what I wanted, had what I wanted and did mostly ok with my own research, now that I have auto loaders I'm kinda frazzled and just wondering if I'm being slightly paranoid. Lol.

Ok so I have another question, I currently have my 9mm and 380 for SHTF scenario's. And I'm looking into the availability of certain handgun calibers and I'm seeing that the 45 ACP is like the second most popular round. If I had the money would you guys recommend me getting a 45 ACP Handgun as well?

PatientWolf

Ok so I have another question, I currently have my 9mm and 380 for SHTF scenario's. And I'm looking into the availability of certain handgun calibers and I'm seeing that the 45 ACP is like the second most popular round. If I had the money would you guys recommend me getting a 45 ACP Handgun as well?

If you have the money, a decent 45 is a good thing to have in my opinion.

Rojack79

Ok so I may be a bit dumb but is a Hi Point in 45 a good idea to get? From literally everything I've seen involving them they seem to be cheap but reliable and sturdy.

PatientWolf

Do you have any recommendations for which pistol to get? I got incredibly lucky with my Canik but I don't really think that'd happen again for me. Lol
Ok so I may be a bit dumb but is a Hi Point in 45 a good idea to get? From literally everything I've seen involving them they seem to be cheap but reliable and sturdy.

For my money, I’d never buy a High Point.

Not knowing what you would have as a budget, consider new or used, availability in your area, your state requirements or your preferences or experience, it would be difficult for me to make a recommendation.

I will say that I would stay in what I consider mid range in price for striker fired pistols (think used: S&W M&P, Glock, Springfield Armory, and a few others in that range). If you want hammer-fired, maybe a 1911 by Tisas, Rock Island Armory or base model Springfields, a Beretta or if you are really lucky an H&K.

OR, shoot what you’ve acquired. Improve your shooting and safety skills and return to the question at a later date.

Rojack79

For my money, I’d never buy a High Point.

Not knowing what you would have as a budget, consider new or used, availability in your area, your state requirements or your preferences or experience, it would be difficult for me to make a recommendation.

I will say that I would stay in what I consider mid range in price for striker fired pistols (think used: S&W M&P, Glock, Springfield Armory, and a few others in that range). If you want hammer-fired, maybe a 1911 by Tisas, Rock Island Armory or base model Springfields, a Beretta or if you are really lucky an H&K.

OR, shoot what you’ve acquired. Improve your shooting and safety skills and return to the question at a later date.
I'd say anywhere from $200-500 for a budget would be good. That's going to take me awhile to save up for, but I should have more than enough to at least buy a 45 ACP Handgun by then. As far as handguns go though I've been shooting them for almost my whole life. One of the best things about having both parents in the military is the fact that I got to learn how to handle firearms early and often, as well as have a healthy respect for them.

jetinteriorguy

With your budget I’d recommend looking at RIA. They make some very nice 1911’s at very good prices and their CS is second to none. I bought a used one in 9mm with the .22TCM conversion setup for $400.00 a few years ago. In 9mm it’s a marvelous shooter and 100% reliable, but I was having issues with the .22TCM. I contacted them, they sent me a shipping label and I sent it back, even though I was up front about buying it used. They fixed it and returned it to me in less than two weeks and it’s been flawless ever since.

Rojack79

With your budget I’d recommend looking at RIA. They make some very nice 1911’s at very good prices and their CS is second to none. I bought a used one in 9mm with the .22TCM conversion setup for $400.00 a few years ago. In 9mm it’s a marvelous shooter and 100% reliable, but I was having issues with the .22TCM. I contacted them, they sent me a shipping label and I sent it back, even though I was up front about buying it used. They fixed it and returned it to me in less than two weeks and it’s been flawless ever since.
Rock Island Armory, alrighty, I'll need to see how much their 45 is and save up accordingly then. That's 3 out of the 7 calibers and guns on my list down. Now I just need to find something for .22LR/Magnum, 12 Gauge, 5.56/223, and 308 Winchester.

Mosin44az

Look at Tisas for a budget 1911 .45 as well. Their GI version is getting excellent reviews, and it sounds like their workmanship is excellent as well.

Rojack79

Look at Tisas for a budget 1911 .45 as well. Their GI version is getting excellent reviews, and it sounds like their workmanship is excellent as well.
Awesome! Thank you for the info! I just found one actually for around $430! Dang that's good!