So, I have this weird thing called a 1907 sling, now what?

rickyrick

The military trainer thread mentioned the 1907 sling and just so happens I have one laying around. I bought it new sometime ago cause it looked like it would go with an old rifle at some point in the future. I didn't know until recently what it really was.

Anywho, could some of you knowledgable people school us on the proper fastening and use as a shooting aid?

I know I could Google it, but I know many of you wouldn't mind teaching us.

smoakingun

check out the web sites, learn to attach and set up the sling. Find an appleseed event close to you and let us teach you to use it

cracked butt

There's the army way of rigging a 1907 sling as seen in the first links, this will work, but if you use it as a shoooting sling rigged this way it will loosen on you. I think it is rigged this way because it looks nice with the frogs facing out. If the frogs are facing out, you won't get the most out of your sling.

The 'correct' way to rig the 1907 sling for shooting is in the link below. This method will will not allow the sling to come loose while shooting. Once you have it locked down tight on your upper arm, it will stay put.
http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

Edit: there is not a direct link to the sling tech page, you need to click on the 'leather sling help' page on this link.

Last edited:

Slamfire

Most of the "surplus" M1907's on the market are short. The first loop is 48 inches or less.

I use a 54" Turner sling on my M1a and Garand. I cannot get into position with those 48 inch loops.

I use a 56" Turner on my AR's.