So I have a CZ75B on the way. Anything I need to know?

Tatsumi67

Coming from my Glock21SF, I wanted a 9mm pistol. I decided a CZ75B would be a nice change of pace being fully steel and cheaper to shoot.

I went to my local shop and range. The employee lit up when I asked about a CZ because he carries one himself. Long story short I was able to rent one at the range, really liked it even in double action and ended up putting one on layaway. They didn't have the standard 75B model in the basic black finish I wanted but it will be here soon enough.

The field stripping and maintenance seems simple enough, but is there anything I should know about particular to the CZs? Where to get cheap magazines? Accessories?

chris in va

Ae we twins?

I had a 21sf and couldn't hit a darn thing with it. The CZ 75 I bought in 2003 has been stellar, if a bit quirky.

Highly reccommend you change out the hammer spring for a 16#. The DA pull on a new gun is much harder than it should be.

Don't be put off by the trigger 'grit', it'll smooth out.

Only the Mecgar mags should be used, not any el cheapo's for half price.

Enjoy!

geetarman

Anything I need to know?

You might need to get help wiping the grin off your face:)

They are addictive. Seriously good guns. Do a lot of dry firing and the normally gritty trigger will smooth up. I have two CZs and actually had trigger jobs done on them. Stone cold reliable anmd accurate.

They do not show the same level of fit and finish as a Sig, but you are not paying the cost of a Sig either.

I have some Christmas cash and will be adding another CZ to the ones I have. Not sure of just what I want yet but will work on it.

You are getting a good gun and I will bet it will not be the last. I would put my 97B up with the XDM,G21,4506,G30 and Sig1911 any day of the week.

I shoot all of them.

Geetarman:D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Mine doesn't like aluminum cased ammo and will jam once every box or so when using it. Other than that it's a fun gun to shoot because it's very accurate and because recoil is very mild since it's heavier than most full-sized 9mm pistols.

No problems with brass-cased ammunition.

The rubber grips available for them are very nice--maybe not so much if you're going to carry it as rubber grips can be a pain for a carry gun. Also, you'll probably want to replace the philips head screws holding the grips on. I couldn't get used to seeing them there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/135903/cz-grips-cz-75-85-rubber

The only other issue is the magazine brake. The guns are designed to prevent the mag from dropping free to avoid having an LE or soldier lose a mag in extreme conditions. You can remove the magazine brake and straighten it out for drop-free operation. I just stuck my finger up inside the mag well and pressed hard on the bend/crease in the brake and that was enough.

Here's a pretty decent deal on a police style leather holster. I've got one and it's very nice quality and very heavy duty. Mine appears to be in unissued/like new condition.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surpl...ech-police-black-leather-holster-right-handed

I don't know if these are the best magazine deals out there, but they're not bad.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/cz.html

Chard

Next best thing would be the CZ Kadet which is their 22LR version.

My 2003 model with VZ Hyena Brown grips.

DSC00479.jpg

Enjoy your new pistola!

Pilot

Yes, get the Kadet Kit .22LR conversion. It turns any CZ-75 based gun into one of the best .22's around. It is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. Mine has been living on my 75B for a while now, and I've been shooting my 75D PCR a bit more at the range, which is also my daily carry gun.

geetarman

Also, you'll probably want to replace the philips head screws holding the grips on. I couldn't get used to seeing them there.

That just hit home for me also. They really do not help the looks at all.

I have been meaning to change mine out.

Geetarman:D

johnbt

If it has the standard CZ plastic grips like the ones that came on my 1996 Military model, I have a word or two of advice.

DON'T let a single drop of gunscrubber touch them because they'll turn into a gooey nasty stringy mess on contact. They're famous for this.

I eventually put smooth Hogue cocobolos on mine.

Pilot

I got rid of the Phillips head grip screws on all my CZ pistols years ago, and swapped them for nicer ones from Brownells.

Tatsumi67

The guns are designed to prevent the mag from dropping free to avoid having an LE or soldier lose a mag in extreme conditions. You can remove the magazine brake and straighten it out for drop-free operation.

A friend of mine (who does not understand the meaning of "GET THE MAG IN THERE!") had the mag in my glock fall out whil he was shooting it. I myself have never had an issue with magazine retention but I would actually appreciate the mag holding with the CZ. Thanks for the info.

I had a 21sf and couldn't hit a darn thing with it.

Really? I love my 21sf and I find it easy to command bullets at short ranges anyway, but I wanted something cheaper to shoot.

Katsumi Liquer

The 75B usually comes from the factory with a comparatively weak recoil spring, resulting in brass being ejected into the next county. If you handload, you might want to consider replacing the factory 14 lb. recoil spring with something a little heavier.

Also, the 75B will likely not be your last CZ.

armoredman

You will be hooked. Also, High Noon holsters makes some outstanding leather for CZ pistols if you intend on carrying - recommend the Down Under IWB rig. The Kadet Kit 22lr adapter is a great addition, used one myself, good stuff.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by Katsumi Liquer
The 75B usually comes from the factory with a comparatively weak recoil spring, resulting in brass being ejected into the next county. If you handload, you might want to consider replacing the factory 14 lb. recoil spring with something a little heavier.

I'd take it a step further and suggest replacing the recoil spring whether you reload or not. Based on this article by the late Stephen A. Camp.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm

Specifically this part:

At this point, it should be mentioned that there have been several complaints concerning the breaking of the slide stop in some CZ-75B 9mm pistols. Mike Eagleshield, gunsmith at CZ-USA, has stated that the 14-lb. recoil springs frequently were not and sometimes closer to 10 or 12! He recommended at least a 14-lb. Wolff conventional recoil spring and perhaps up to about 16 pounds. I use a Wolff conventional 18-lb. recoil spring in my CZ-75 pistols as well as a shock buffer from Buffer Technologies.

I personally run a 16lb Wolff recoil spring in my 75B and I've had no reliability issues even with relatively mild ammo like WWB and Federal Champion 115gr FMJ.

As to the OP's choice, I think the standard 75B is an excellent one. I always liked the way the fullsize model balanced in the hand and I also think it's the most attractive looking. I personally got one with the dual-tone finish.

Nickgunphotos007.jpg

sirgilligan

Tatsumi67 you have made a good decision.

I got my first CZ in November. An 85B.

Dead on accurate.

Thanks to all of the replies. I have some things I need to get as well.

NJgunowner

I'm going to have me up a CZ one of these days, but right I got a thing for 1911's :) . If I found a CZ75 at the right time and right price it'd be home in a blink :D