so I finally made my first purchase concerning guns and it ended up being two...

xrageofangelsx

I paid 412 dollars for a Sig SP2340 in .40S&W caliber (new) and
320 dollars for a Glock 22 in .40S&W caliber (used).

2004888922074196868755.jpg

2004884842715584617389.jpg

The second picture also shows my big toe and my sweet basement carpet.

I feel I got a pretty good deal for two pieces.

The used Glock is probably the ugliest gun I've ever seen. It makes me appear as if I (or the previous owner) was a bit too obsessed with James Bond and the Golden Gun as it has a gold finish to the slide. I plan on sanding it off. Or maybe keeping it for a good giggle. It came with Trijicon night sights, which is a bonus.

Now let's see if buyers regret sinks in any within the next couple of days...
2004883282690490985535.jpg

Me attempting to look mean with my Sig, also for a giggle. ;)

Handy

Instead of sanding your Glock, and potentially screwing up the Tennifer heat treatment, why don't you look into chemically stripping the gold off. Some mild acids might make it an easy job. Contact an electroplater to see what they suggest.

xrageofangelsx

Thanks for the recommendation...

my dad has an antique business and he has some compound that I might try if I opt for removing the finish.

I've heard the heat treating is pretty hard to screw up, but it's much better to be safe than screwed.

Thanks!

Drjones

1) Why did you buy the Glock if you knew you were just going to refinish it anyway?

Some good work was put into that thing; rather than destroying it, why not trade it or sell it to someone who wants it and will appreciate it?

You should just buy another Glock that hasn't been messed with and save yourself the trouble of refinishing.

2) Finger on the trigger in the picture. Not good.

xrageofangelsx

1. I haven't decided if I am going to refinish it yet. Read the post right above the one you just posted. IF being the key word. I got the gun at such a sweet deal, I couldn't pass on it. Refinishing it is not that big of a deal.

I can't afford to buy another Glock at this moment, but if you want to buy a poor Bible college student one, I know of a guy who could use it.

2. The Sig was properly emptied, checked and rechecked while I took the picture (with the other hand). If you look real close my finger isn't on the trigger but is pressed furtherest from the trigger and is resting on the trigger guard. Very close to the trigger, yes, but not technically on the trigger. Also the gun is pointed away from my hand and is pointed at my basement's concrete block wall.

I do appreciate your concern though... don't aim it at anything you're not willing to shoot as the maxim goes.

Drjones

Sorry.

I'll take your word for it, but it *REALLY* looks like your finger is right on the trigger....

Oh well....

Arc Angel

:) I'll buy the part about the finger being inside the front of the trigger guard; but NOT on the trigger.

The way the Second Rule of Firearm Safety was (first) explained to me came straight out of one of Jeff Cooper's published articles; 'Never allow the muzzle to cross anything you aren't willing to see destroyed!' There is a subtle distinction between the words, 'point' and 'cross'. Me thinks, 'cross' is a better choice of words because it implies the possibility of momentarily pointing a muzzle at something precious to you.

You certainly bought both pistols right; and they appear to be in good working condition, too. That gold slide isn't such a big deal. I've got Glocks all over the house; and, after awhile, you get kind 'a tired of, 'basic black'. Why not, just use it for a few years; let it get its: dents, dings, and scratches; then, send it out to someone like Walter Birdsong, or Robar. That's what I usually do with my guns. ;)

xrageofangelsx

Arc Angel

"I'll buy the part about the finger being inside the front of the trigger guard; but NOT on the trigger."

Believe it or not, I had a PM from someone who, after my first TFL post, was kind enough to give me a few basic warnings and tips on handling a gun. I agree with you big time on the term 'cross' over 'point.'
Thanks for the affirmation on my pistol purchases. The glock has a few wear marks on the end of the slide/barrel. I don't know if it is from being carried, or if its from firing it or both.

Being very new to guns, I must ask.. who/what are Birdson and Robar? Are they refinishing companies? Whilte the gold makes the glock stand out, I just can't help but think about what the slide would look like hard-chromed. Alas, I think I've seen too many anime movies as of late.

Since you have a lot of glocks, maybe you could help answer one of my questions... the glock 22 I have recently purchased has no light rail. Some random dude at a local gunshop said I could send it in to glock and pay a hundred-something dollars ($140, I think) and have them destroy the old frame and they'd give me a new one with a rail on it. While I don't think it's worth it for the rail, it might be worth it for a new frame down the road. Especially if the newer gens have better ergonomics and if the gun just plain gets beat up. While I plan on taking the best possible care of my recent purchases... I also plan to use them a lot.

Arc Angel

:) Here, the following links should tell you all you need to know:

http://www.kenpittman.com/

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=264484&perpage=25&highlight=gun kote&pagenumber=5

http://www.custom-glock.com/refinish.html

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=73

Personally I would recommend Matt Burkett at Custom Glock Racing, or Walter Birdsong. Don’t like hard chrome on a slide. Too shiny and attracts too much attention. With a little care there is no reason why those two pistols shouldn’t last you a lifetime – Mine already have!

Personally I don’t have a whole lot of use for light rails; they’re great if you’re part of a tactical SWAT team. I’m not; and, I prefer the element of surprise and night sights. (But, hey, that’s just me!)

Yes, you can buy another frame from Glock; the last time I check the price was $250 +. Unless you really need it I wouldn’t suggest that you, ‘muck around’ with that 22. Sometimes you change things and they don’t work as well as they used to. A lot of Glock shooters don’t like the 3rd generation finger grooves, too.

If you really want to spend a little money and do something extremely useful, get a couple of Bar-Sto barrels. The Glock will, especially, benefit from this modification. Check out the following thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=271612

Personally, about the only things I’d recommend for your new pistols are Wolff springs, a non-captured steel guide rod for you Model 22, and, of course, a Kydex holster that covers the trigger guard .

Here’s that link, too:

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

On the Glock for unconventional carry I, also, use a, ‘Saf-T-Blok’ behind the trigger. Not so much for me; but for my wife and other people who might get a hold of it.

My source for everything Glock is,

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

Enjoy your new guns!

(By the way, did you mention being a Bible student? Figures, you look like a Rabbi.) :D

xrageofangelsx

Arc Angel

Thank you for the fully detailed information regarding glocks. It gave me plenty of reading time to avoid packing for me to move to school.

Ken Pittman's work is really hit and miss with me. I really like his plain designs and grey satin and refinished stainless slide w/OD receiver refinishes on glocks, I'm not real crazy about the desert camo and "flames." Haha. However, I digress.

The CGR is much up my ally with simple re-finishing the glocks. Their pictures on the website are terrible (maybe it's just my monitor?) and I could not honestly make a decision to send a glock to them to refinish with their available photography.

I couldn't actively find any of Birdsong's work. I did find a bunch of recommendations and his phone number when I did a search for him on google.com.

250 dollars is out of my reasonable price range to waste on getting a reciever with a accessory rail on it. I'm not real big into making my gun look like a special forces killing machine. Yet. It seems the bug bites almost everyone eventually.

If I ever need to get a replacement barrel, I might try and get a Bar-Sto. 200 dollars is roughly a 2/3rd of what I paid for the gun itself. ;) I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I will say that I'd rather have a couple of hundred bucks to save on something else (maybe an SKS and ammo).

The (non-captured?) guide rod and spring seem to be a cheap and worthwhile investment. But I am not sure as to what they would be doing, nor am I aware enough to pick a "rating" between factory, extra power, or lesser power.

Actually, I'm clueless as to what a guide rod is and what it does. Perhaps you or someone else could enlighten me on what they are and if I should buy all three replacement springs to see which one I like best.

And to answer your question about my Rabbi-ness. Bahaha. No, I am not a Rabbi even though I am told by many people that I could pass for one if I were wearing a kippah. I'm just a non-traditional non-denominational Christian who is very interested in theology.

Again, thanks for your time.

Shalom! ;)

**edit**

Recommend a place for high-cap magazines and finding out when my glock was made? I tried a few websites that said they had email services and could pinpoint your glock manufacturing date, but they never wrote back. I know it's a second gen because of the "grenade" style grips, but that's it. It also has a pentagon shape on it and has CCR as the first series of letters. I tried posting in Glock talk but my ISP is banned. :barf:

Dave85

Great buy, xrageofangelsx. Hey, why not look at the gold slide as an opportunity to enter the exciting field of international espionage? Or maybe the adult entertainment business? Both areas are hurting for our best and brightest!

xrageofangelsx

Dave85

While it's not the most helpful reply I've had in TFL, it was certainly one of the funniest. Thanks for making me laugh out loud!