So I bought a lower...

Contrast Man

I picked up a blemished lower from PSA as a gift to myself recently (actually still waiting for it to ship on over). I like the idea of building my own AR from a mechanical standpoint, I also like to tinker.

Anyways, my goal for this build is for it to be a "working" rifle. Range use, home defense, no serious competition. I'd like for it to be fairly lightweight, 16" total length barrel, and I do plan on using iron sights on it, most likely fixed. This is my first build, and first AR, but I'd like your opinion on what might fit my requirements on a lower to reasonable budget. I'd like to be around $700-800 for a complete working rifle, but if it can be done for less, even better.

I don't have a whole lot of preference brand wise as I'm not too familiar with the seemingly millions of companies putting out AR parts. The one thing I have heard a few good things about is this lower parts kit from TR-Enabling, but again, I'm not stuck on it. Link below:

http://www.tr-enabling.com/ar-15-lower-parts-kit-p/0001lpk.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Thanks again for your help and advice! I'll be sure to post pictures here regularly as the build progresses, however long that may take.

qqq1

Just keep watching PSA deals and you'll get everything you need. It will take 3 weeks after you order it but they put everything on sale all the time. I've built 2 full rifles with pretty much every part coming from them. I hated that grip included in the kit you linked to. The nub bugged me like crazy.

jimbob86

I'd like for it to be fairly lightweight, 16" total length barrel, and I do plan on using iron sights on it, most likely fixed.

Finding a fixed carry handle (-a1/a2 style) upper is hard these days. I wish I had gone with one when I built my rifle ...... the -a3 railed upper ..... if you carry the gun at the balance point, your thumb won't fit in under the detachable carry handle/rear sight like it would on the fixed -a1/a2's ..... not a big deal for most folks, but I carried M-16's for so many years .... these new guns feel .....foreign.

Ibmikey

I purchased a TR enabling fire control set only to find the ALG-ACT trigger/hammer kit is twice the quality and only $65 bucks. Purchase decent quality tools and parts (not on ebay) if you will assemble the upper yourself. Aim, Rainier, PSA and DSA all have reasonably priced complete uppers if you do not want to build...just shop around and your rifle will come together.

BillyJack3

If you're sticking with irons, I like the idea of the carrying handle. Not to carry, but just as a solid rear sight. I got my Colt carry handle used of the AR15.com equipment exchange. Go with something that has a fixed front sight block and you'll be in great shape. I do have a nicely upgraded AR but this simple build is one of my favorites. Pretty close to a M4 clone with MOE grip.

It's a Spike's Tactical lower with PSA M4 Premium upper. Spike's BCG and CH.

WP_20140403_21_04_30_Pro_zps66f48f5c.jpg