So How'd I do?

Auto426

Went to the local gun show this morning with a Springfield Armory G.I. 1911 that I was intending to sell or trade off. Turn-out at the show was pretty good, but few of the dealers had anything that caught my eye. Lots of plastic pistols and cheap guns, few revolvers that weren't S&W 642's or 637's. The few dealers that did have some nice revolvers were very proud of them. Didn't find a new home for the Springfield, but this little snubby caught my eye:

28rp93o.jpg

sdcy7b.jpg

140hutt.jpg

It's a S&W 66-5 with a 2 1/2" barrel. I know it's not pinned and recessed, and I know it doesn't have the firing pin on the hammer, but at least it doesn't have a lock hole in the side. I actually don't mind the lack of a recessed cylinder, as I like being able to look at the back of the cylinder and see if the gun is loaded. I also prefer the smooth face trigger for double action shooting over a serrated trigger.

This gun was part of a set of 4 that were trade-ins from the Louisiana Department of Youth Development. One of the 4 was out on display and had a good bit of holster wear, so I asked to look at one of the other boxes underneath it. To my surprise the first one I picked up had this little beauty inside of it, in what appears to be never-issued and NIB condition. All of the original paper work was included in the box, and the only sign that this gun was ever touched are a couple of numbers you can kinda of see here:

243ri39.jpg

The price marked on the box was $400, and the dealer wouldn't budge off of it. I offered a possible trade with the G.I. I brought, but he didn't even come near the price I was wanting for it, so I paid cash for the Smith and left. I'm pretty happy with the deal overall. I plan on replacing the current rubber grips with either a set of Pachmayr Professionals or maybe a set of magna's from Altamont and a T grip.

warwagon

I am soooo jealous, the mod 66 2.5 in any form is one of my favorite weapons. I have owned two P&R versions back when we carried revolvers, and kick myself every time I remember selling, or trading them.

You did fine, these are getting harder to find, and if the price was good with you, then enjoy!

I liked the standard stocks on mine, with a Tyler T grip, very low profile, and also carried with a Birami hip grip in the 5 O'clock position which virtualy made the gun disappear, even in summer attire.

Congratulations on a great find!

Ashlander

Very nice buy. $400 would be a steal around here. I paid $475 a few months back for an Aussie cop trade in 2 1/2" 66-7 (lock deactivated). I was pleased as punch.

Grant D

I have a 66-2 two 1/2 inch I bought about 26 years ago and it is with out a doubt the last one of my firearms I would ever get rid of. You got that at a great price! enjoy!

Joe_Pike

I would say that that would go for at least $100 more in my area. I bought a model 65 with a 3" barrel last summer for $359 and thought that was a steal.

Last edited:

BarryLee

I have a 66-2 two 1/2 inch I bought about 26 years ago and it is with out a doubt the last one of my firearms I would ever get rid of. You got that at a great price! enjoy!

Although I have not owned mine quite this long I do agree it would be one of the last I would ever let go. I think you will be very happy with the purchase and pleased how well it handles .357 loads.

gunluver

I'm jealous! I've been looking locally for a model 19 or 66 in 2 1/2 barrel length, very scarce. The local show last weekend had one model 19 for $575 that had more wear on it than I liked, so I walked away. The search continues!

Auto426

In my area used S&W revolvers are usually pretty scarce, and the prices tend to be pretty high on the unmolested examples you do find. There is only one dealer at the local shows that specializes in classic S&W and Colt auto's and revolvers, and his prices are so high he doesn't even bother marking the guns with them. You will find the occasional Model 10 or 36 on a dealer table, but they are usually pretty beat up.

I didn't really need this gun, but the deal was just too good to pass up. The gun is basically NIB and it never hurts to have another S&W around the house. I'm thinking that I may place this one in the carry rotation once I find a set of grips that I like for it. I like the way it handles and the trigger on this gun is pretty good. It's still new, so it's got a little breaking in to do and I'm sure once that's finished it will be superb.

shortwave

The price marked on the box was $400, and the dealer wouldn't budge off of it.

And I don't blame him.

The 66's are just great all-around pistols.

Congrats! You got a good deal on what looks to be a very nice pistol.

57sw

You did great! These are getting really hard to find as already mentioned. Nearly got one like that years ago but that was the year the 696 was released and got that instead. A nice set of Ahrends grips would really go well with it. Yep, nice find indeed.

bedbugbilly

You traded your Springfield for that???? :D Smooth move . . . . that is one nice looking S & W . . . congrats! Excuse me now as I wipe the drool off of my keyboard . . . . . :)

Laker

You did very well! I've got a 2.5 66 no dash. I wouldn't sell it for $700. Take good care of it, and your grand children's grand children will thank you.

Auto426

You traded your Springfield for that???? Smooth move . . . . that is one nice looking S & W . . . congrats! Excuse me now as I wipe the drool off of my keyboard . . . . .

Actually no, I still have the Springfield. I offered it in a trade, but the dealer told me that I would have to give him the G.I. plus a $100 bill to get the S&W, which wasn't gonna happen. The Springfield is valued at around $500,

I was asking $500 for the G.I. at the show, and already had a few dealer offers for $400. I know that a dealer wasn't going to give me what I wanted, but that particular offer was insultingly low. I would have gladly taken my business elsewhere but it's not like everyone had a table full of these things. I certainly wouldn't buy any new guns from him.

I ended up bringing the Springfield back home with me. I'll probably try posting it on one of the shooting forums that caters to my area and see if I can get any buyers. I'm not in a rush to sell it but I don't use it anymore since I bought my Colt's and it's taking up room.