So how many times do you "rack" the slide unloading or checking a pistol

Lohman446

I thought about this the other day as I put my carry gun away (and I do unload it nightly - I'll accept the risk of bullet setback).

I drop the magazine, adjust my grip, rack the slide so the chambered round ends in my hand, and then open the slide again to verify it is empty before lowering the hammer.

I only became consciously aware of the fact I was doing this twice recently when I thought - hmm... that is odd. I have been told by friends I also do it when I am handed an unloaded firearm - apparently I rack the slide once normally and then hold it open to look.

Model12Win

I drop the magazine, rack the slide two or three times, then pull the slide back enough to VISUALLY INSPECT the chamber to make sure it is clear.

I do NOT trust the extractor or ejector to do the job for me.

RickB

I've been conditioned to rack the round out and then look in the chamber as part of the "unload and show clear" process in competition, so when I know a gun is loaded (because I've just fired it) I always follow that procedure.
When I don't know if the gun is loaded, or I do know but still am going through treat-all-guns-as-loaded, I do rack the slide multiple times.
I think it's environmental; when I'm shooting on the range I have one procedure, and when I'm standing at my safe in the garage, I have a different one; never really thought about it, before.
I do not clear my carry/defense guns unless I'm going to clean, or transport, or something other than just "putting it up" until I carry it again. They might stay loaded for six months or more.

MandolinMan

That's exactly what I do.... now. Several years ago I handed off a pistol to an experienced gun buddy who wanted to check out my new toy. I dropped the mag and double racked the slide but failed to visually inspect the chamber. It just so happened that a round had slipped past the extractor and remained in the barrel. Thankfully he immediately caught it, then took advantage of the moment to severely reprimand my carelessness.

Now I'm a little overkill about double and triple checking.

Its a good habit to be in for sure.

Worc

Drop the magazine, pull the slide back and locate the round exiting the chamber. Then I rack the slide a few times and look to see it's empty before letting the slide go forward. Dry fire (striker) or decock (SA/DA).

To chamber a round, I drop one in the chamber and let the slide slam shut from about the half way point. This keeps the bullet from hitting the feed ramp multiple times to avoid set back.

adamBomb

drop the mag, rack slide a few times, visually inspect, and then I pull the trigger (aiming at a safe place obviously).

TailGator

I never thought about it before, but when I unload a pistol I rack the slide to empty the chamber, then open it again and lock it back to look and feel the chamber. When I pick one up that I believe to be empty (out of my safe or at the LGS) I just lock the slide back and inspect.

Lots of people rack the slide multiple times, but it just isn't my habit.

FITASC

Drop the mag, rack the slide and watch the bullet come out and land on the bed; check once more. Never an AD that way

K_Mac

I do the same as TailGator. Locking back the slide gives me plenty of time to look at and feel the chamber. I like the extra security that gives.

pblanc

Once, while locking the slide back, and then inspect the chamber. If the action feels tight I might rack the slide several times.

Seems like every video I watch show someone racking the slide three times but I don't understand the reason, unless they just like racking the slide.

fl_rich

The rack to fire ratio is gotta be 20-1 with my pistols. They get racked all the time. Every time its touched after going in the safe, they are racked visually checked, sometimes fingered if the light is low, then racked again.

Seems to be the thing to do....

Darkstar888

So how many times do you "rack" the slide unloading or checking a pistol

Drop the magazine, pull the slide back and locate the round exiting the chamber. Then I rack the slide a few times and look to see it's empty before letting the slide go forward. Dry fire (striker) or decock (SA/DA).

To chamber a round, I drop one in the chamber and let the slide slam shut from about the half way point. This keeps the bullet from hitting the feed ramp multiple times to avoid set back.

What kind of gun do you have? It is generally not recommended on most guns to manually insert a round into the chamber. It causes undue wear on the extractor which is forced to jump over the cartridge rim. One is supposed to always load from the magazine. If you want to carry +1 you load from the mag, eject the mag, top it off, and reinsert. Now if you have a Beretta 92 or model with a tip up barrel you can disregard this post. Ask anyone with expertise or consult your owners manual and you will be told the same. I'm shocked no one has caught this yet in real life or from your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenny53

I drop the mag, rack the slide lock it and check the chamber. When at a gun shop I watch the guy behind the counter check the gun and I check it as soon as he hands to me. Always , always , always check.

bedbugbilly

I drop the mag - rack the chambered round out and lock the slide back so I can visually inspect the chamber. I probably do it that way as when I've taken classes, that's how the instructor wanted it done. He really didn't care if you racked the chambered round out with one rack or did it several times - but he wanted the slide locked back so he could come down the line and visually inspect the pistol and you held it with the muzzle pointed downrange to verify it was completely cleared.

Maybe I'm wrong on this . . . but I never depend on the loaded chamber indicator - - that's just me. I also never slide a finger in to digitally check the chamber as it can be easily seen . . . and the last thing I want is the slide slipping for some reason and slamming my finger.

I rack the slide 3 times and then lock the slide back and make a visual inspection of the chamber.

I have no clue why I started doing it three times but now it is just habit.

tahunua001

I drop the mag, then rack the slide. if a round comes out, that's it, it's physically impossible for another round to be in the gun. if no round comes out then I open it again to visually inspect the chamber... I guess I have a half-assed yet no nonsense form of firearms safety mindset.

Skans

1) Drop mag
2) Rack then inspect for clear

This is exactly what I do too. I do not rack 3 times - that's just too OCD for me. Now, if I were unloading and examining 700 loaded guns a day on a production line, then I might rack 3 times because the boss makes me do it. Also, it's not producing any unnecessary ware on MY pistols!