So, How Many Guns Have You Gone Through?

amprecon

I believe that you never stop learning, and with that being said, my small arms "learning curve" has reached it's pinnacle. My wife has tolerated guns and believes they are necessary. However, as I have "learned" about different weapons and their niches and strengths and weaknesses I have always modified my collection to meet the expectations of my newly acquired "gun knowledge". Selling or trading one for another and sometimes, to her chagrin, getting the same thing over again later.
The only two guns I've kept all through this "learning" experience has been my Marlin 60 and my Remington 870 and I even sold the 60 to a relative and later bought it back.
I've had two S.A. 1911's.
I'm on my third Glock 21, I've owned a Glock 36, 17, 19 and now own a G23.
I've had two Remington 700's both in .30-06 one wood stock, one synthetic.
A Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel in .44mag
Ruger 5" GP-100 .357
Ruger SP-101 .38spl
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Taurus snubby .38spl
S&W 442 .38spl
S&W 422 .22lr
S&W 625 .45acp
Browning Buckmark .22lr
M1 Garand, which I sold, then bought again later
Norinco SKS Para
Chinese SKS Standard
Bersa .380
Colt Gov't .380
Beretta 87 .22
Ruger Single Six .22
Ruger 10/22
Ruger M77 MKII .308
Two Marlin 925's .22
Marlin 336
Kahr K9
Kahr P9
Bersa Thunder UC 9 which is my current carry piece
S&W Model 10 which is the wifey's house go-to gun
SLR-95 which I'll never part with
M1A which again I'll never part with
PTR-91 which was an ergonomical nightmare
A couple of knight muzzle-loaders

So now that I have whittled my collection down to what I have now, at this time I feel pretty satisfied with what I have and have no desires for anything else. What I am beginning to do is to work on enhancing what I do have with good optics and hopefully, for my wife's sake, this gun-learning endeavor will soon come to an end and we can focus on other hobbies, like saving money for example :)
I guess some of us are slower learners than others :rolleyes:

Sevens

Thank god for good folks like you who make it possible for the rest of us to find decent, used firearms for much less than the price of new.

PetahW

I used to keep a rough count, but gave up around twenty or so years ago when the count went over 500.

Now that I've retired, I've cut back somewhat - I think I'm down to my last 40 or so.

Hanzerik

Oh lets see, off the top of my head:
Jennings .25ACP
Jennings 22lr
Davis Derringer in 22lr
Davis Derringer in .32ACP
Auto Ordnance 1911
Norinco 1911 (still kick myself for this)
Norinco SKS
Russian SKS
Yugo SKS x2
Winchester 30-30
S&W 22lr semi auto pistol
Ruger 10-22 x3
Ruger Single six x2
Ruger GP100
XD9 and XD9SC
Glock 19
RIA 1911 5"
Ruger Blackhawk custom build (Way before the vaquero came out, another kick myself)
Uberti/Pietta 38/44 Black powder pistols x4
Uberti Cattleman
Marlin 22lr Bolt action
TC Hawkens 45 and 50 cal x2
Savage 17 HMR
Savage Predator Hunter
Bushmaster AR-15
8mm Mauser
Mosin Nagant

I think that's about it. I currently have a few different rifles/pistols, but have gone through a bunch over the last 25 or so years (Listed above).

Rembrandt

Holy Cow!.....from the looks of the list it appears not much research went into the guns before buying or your tastes changed dramatically.

Only sold one rifle in 35 years and bought it back six years later.

Swampghost

Literally thousands. I used to deal back when we had flea markets at the drive-ins. Lugers and Broomhandled Mausers sold for $35-300 w/Nazi proofs and matching numbers. 1903A3's and .303 Enfields could go as low as $15 although most went in the $35-50 range.

To make the prices relative; I made about $10 a week delivering two paper routes (about two gun flips). Here you could drive daylight hours when you were 14 and gas was $.20 a gal. (I had a '55 Buick Roadmaster). A few years later I got a job washing dishes at night, 7 days a week for $90. I was walkin' in tall cotton.

sholling

In 52 years I've rarely sold a gun. Three rifles, one shotgun, and three handguns. Two of those guns were sold to help pay for my education and I still miss them to this day. I've also had a couple stolen. Other than those I have every gun I've ever bought. I only buy what I want to own and you can't build a collection if you keep selling it off.

You can see all the guns I have traded in recent years by clicking this link...
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Departed%20guns/

I had to sell off a small collection when I first came back fro Iraq back in the 90's, but there was nothing really worth mentioning in it.
Of all the guns I have ever sold, I have never really regretted a single one of the sales. The closest I have ever come to regretting selling one was the Para Slim Hawg.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

I do not have a collection but I've owned a few dozen over the years, way too many to count but I think I remember something about all of them. There was never much of any logic behind owning any particular one and I miss having practically all of them. But I can only own just a few at any one time and eight years of conservative politics has moved such wealth as I had into the hands of the rich. I've still got a box full, though.

Some of the more interesting were Mauser broomhandle, Luger, Lee-Enfield No. 4 sniper rifle, FN-1949, Ruger No 1, Ruger No 3, a couple of CZ rifles, several other Lee-Enfields, including one made in 1957, plus most variations of Colt automatics. I've had several S&W autos, many, many S&W revolvers in just about every caliber up to .45 Colt, and one registered .357 Magnum. I couldn't begin to pick a favorite from all I've owned but apparently none of them were so dear that I couldn't part with them.

chucksolo69

I used to keep count, but have long since forgotten what I have had and sold. There are only 2 only firearms I really regret selling. Those were an Astra Constable in .380 and a genuine Colt Ace .22 caliber automatic. The Astra was light, concealable, accurate and a joy to shoot. The Ace, while highly inaccurate (the reason I sold it) sells now for approximately 10 times what I paid for it. I really liked the way it approximated the felt recoil of my Colt Govt. Model MKIV Series 70.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Way less than Tamara but nearing 100 I am guessing... surely well over 50...
First several...
Dad's old mossberg .410 bolt gun
Dad's old 12 gauge mule kicker single
First hand gun... .45/.410 Davis derringer that went to high school daily in my cowboy boot.
Then from 18 on up... it is a blur of fast coming and going arms. Slack off (do to a theft) for many many years and now back at it...
Brent

I am not sure of my total number, but my dealer's son, who works in the shop, pointed out to me that the USPc I picked up today made 70 guns I have bought from them in the last few years. With the couple here and there I bought elsewhere, that adds up to a new gun every two weeks. No wonder I never have any money and my clothes are all out of style. :eek: