So Frustrating...

TeeItUpCMB04

I got back from a local movie theatre that I have visited numerous times (and carried each time). Wouldn't you know that posted on the door was a fresh "No Firearms/Concealed Weapons" sign on the door. :mad:

So I have to walk back thru a dark parking lot to leave my gun in the truck and forfeit my right to carry. I mean when are people going to see logic and realize that the people who that sign applies to are the people who have spotless criminal records (and the kind of people they would WANT in their establishment)? These signs should read: "Law abiding citizens prohibited, criminals proceed."

Sorry guys just had to vent to some ears friendly to my opinion...:barf:

cchardwick

Agreed. I think the government should issue handguns and rifles to at least all prior military (and other honest law abiding citizens) so that they can protect the country from within, similar to the air marshals on planes. Let me tell you every week when I'm at church I'm hoping that someone there in the church is carrying because I think that's the most dangerous place for me to be all week.

angrysoapbox.gif

raimius

Write a letter and speak to the management explaining how worthless their sign is and, due to the fact that they chose to forbid legal carry, you will not be a customer at their business, as you were for the past ______ years.

On that thought, have you considered netflix?

alloy

from south carolinas website. http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

TeeItUpCMB04

netflix is great but I still enjoy going to the big screen.

I know the sign requirements and this one did not meet it. I am caught up in a debate with myself on what to do about these things.

On the one hand I can (legally) ignore the inadequate sign and carry anyway. What if a situation arises and the weapon has to be drawn. it is discussed on here a good deal about the "over-zealous prosecutor" and I can picture the argument now over "Blatant disregard of a posted sign"

on the other hand I submit to the sign and don't have the ccw with me when said situation arises. I believe I would rather deal with the first situation.

The fact that I even have to deal with owners side-stepping my rights is what is so frustrating to me....and no I won't be back to that place.

raimius

Please let the management know why you will no longer be a loyal customer!
If you stop attending, without explanation, they will have no clue.

Delaware_Dan

Those signs are not laws, the worst thing that can happen is they find out (only if you are careless) they can ask you to leave because you are trespassing. You just cant carry in schools or courthouses etc.

alloy

if the sign is off by 1/2 an inch i think id comply. but if it isnt even close and looks like it was drawn up in photoshop i would:

print the requirements for the sign out.
stick it in my other pocket.
go to the movies.
or find another theatre.

i wish i could even find out about virginia. at least i could find out about SC in 5 minutes. the state i live in and gun free signs is still a mystery to me. i advocate following the law, when they are, and have no experience or credentials, dont listen to me.

Gbro

Maybe a letter to the management stating,

"You are now responsible for my well being, and my family will hold you/your business responsible for anything that happens to me because of the denial of me to legally protect myself and any others that may be involved".

A posted sign encouraging legal concealed carry would make an environment much safer. IMO!

Keltyke

Those signs are not laws, the worst thing that can happen is they find out (only if you are careless) they can ask you to leave because you are trespassing. You just cant carry in schools or courthouses etc.

Delaware Dan, you're ALL wrong in SC. Check the post concerning SC handgun and CCW law. It IS a law and completely enforceable by local cops. You would be guilty of violating the concealed weapons statutes, and possibly criminal trespass. Other state's laws may vary.

Don't make statements like that, unless you're SURE.

allenomics

I totally understand your feelings, but...

I have to walk back thru a dark parking lot to leave my gun in the truck and forfeit my right to carry.

...private property rights need to be respected, IMO.

Tell the owner of the theater how you feel. Move your business if necessary.

Shorts

I read a great letter from a customer to a theater; he was in the same shoes as you. The company took his letter to heart, and the sign came down.

You should write a letter, at the very least. You are probably not the only person frustrated at that particular theater and hopefully you're not the only one who will let management know about it.

Man, I sure wish I could remember who it was and where it was that other post is. The letter was extremely well written. Instead of attacking management, the letter was one expressing great concern about situations, then it made sure to reflect on the liability and responsibility the theater and management now have since they are taking away a persons own ability to do so. That got someone's attention real quick.

BillCA

A rational and well written letter can be worth its weight in gold. Many theatres post the signs because their corporate lawyers recommend it for "liability" reasons. Lawyers are only concerned with law and minimizing their client's exposure to lawsuits, not good will or P.R.

Sit and write several drafts of your letter. Be respectful in your tone and language. Get right to the point and also tell them what you'd like them to do. Do a little research for your state regarding liability and CCWs. If you know any lawyers, ask them about the issues and incorporate what you learn into the letter. Ask the theatre manager for his business card (or name) and ask for a corporate address. Find out who the V.P. of operations is for the corporation as well as the CEO and CFO. Write the letter to the manager and send copies to all 3 corporate execs.

Something like:

Mr. Donald D. Duck
Roxy Theatre Manager
123 W. Cedar St.
etc.

Mr. Duck,

I'm writing you to express my concerns and displeasure over the posting of a "No Concealable Firearms" sign on your theatre as of 10/11/2008.

[Now explain why you are unhappy and why you think it is a bad idea. Try to keep this down to 2-3 six-line paragraphs at most.]

In closing, I ask you to re-evaluate your policy and to remove the signs in order to promote public safety. Until such time as you once again welcome proven law-abiding citizens, I will refrain from patronizing your theatre and advise my family and friends to do likewise, whether they have concealed permits or not.

Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.
Respectfully,

Tips:

You only have about 40 lines for the body of your text and keep it on one page.
  • Explain the issue you're addressing
  • Provide evidence, references and information to support your side of the argument. Be concise, not flowery.
  • Close your letter with your proposed solution or a solution you'd like to see.
  • Thank them for addressing the matter.

If you want to make this stand out, buy a small package of colorized legal sized paper. A pale-green or blue paper that is too large to "stack" neatly with other papers gets noticed. It also gives you some extra room to make your points.

Be sure to include at least your name and mailing address for them to contact you, if they desire. This adds legitimacy to the message.

Oh... and DO be sure to run your letter through a spell-checker at least. Having someone else proof read it would also be a good idea. :cool:

Good luck.

shortwave

As long as people believing in the 2nd amendment patronize establishments that don`t, the signs will keep going up. To date there have been 429 killings in Chicago this year alone(just one city) and gun sales are up 9-10 % this year over last as reported 10/2708 on NBC Nightly News. Reason given for higher gun sales,HIGHER CRIME. A movie or any other form of activity is not worth leaving yourself or loved ones possibly set up to be helpless victims. It can happen to anyone. Tell the owner or manager your feelings. It doesn`t matter if you become a victim in one of these sign-posting establishments and are fortunate enough to live through it and sue. To late , you`ve been victimized.