So Excited!

jonnyc

Me and my 4 shooting buddies have been playing at trap shooting for about a year. Our range has a competition trap shoot every month and we have progressed to the point where we feel comfortable enough to enter as a team. The big adjustment will be transitioning from shooting from a single spot with the thrower to the right, to 5 shooting positions with the thrower out front (and much faster!).
I'm a bit apprehensive, but really looking forward to it.

jonnyc

Thanks all.
At this point I'm not aiming beyond simple trap as my only shotgun is a Maverick 88. I can actually do doubles, if I really concentrate, but it will be a while before I progress to a decent auto or O/U.

jonnyc

OK, we missed the August session but just had the September meet.
Wow, big difference from our practice field!
We did two rounds, and I scored an 11/25 and a 14/25. Great experience, hope to do better next month. Thanks for all the info. That pamphlet was very helpful with the initial aim-point for each station, and the leads from each for the three flight directions.

zippy13

Trap is generally a game of learning a smooth transition from the optimum initial point to the optimum break point and remembering to follow through. Of course, it's easier said than done. :D

BigJimP

Just keep after it ...and it'll come around for you.

Nothing wrong with a Maverick 88 ...especially if its their field gun with a 28" barrel....not sure which one you have../ but you'll find that the sight plane on any shotgun with a barrel length under 26" isn't probably your optimal gun for Trap or for any of the clay target games....but a lot of guys start by shooting pump guns.