So, bought an AK-47.. how'd I do?

gfen

As much as I dislike these threads (and I worry about the answers), I present the question...

So, bought a used Yugoslavian underfolder M70AB2 today. Came with 1 30rd mag, 3 40rd mags, and 1200 rounds of boxed Wolf ammo (the grey stuff, not the green). Negotiated price, $600. The going rate of the WASR-10's is $389, the Yugos are $499 in this area.

I'm going to assume there's nothing special about this M70, right? I mean being an older model or something, perhaps? It comes from CAI, the receiver is marked Zastava Kraguevac (sp), and it does kinda rattle the mag around a bit (which, oddly, didn't strike me as odd at the time, but in hindsight, should I be bugged?). Straight cut crown, no muzzle brake, and the flip up night sights.

Honestly, I'd have been happy with the WASR, but figured if I was hedging against an AWB, I might as well grandfather me a folding stock for extra "evil" features, y'know?

Figure the 1200 rounds is a lifetime supply, I like my AR better. :)

gfen

Also of note, perhaps in dating when this guy came over, and its quality, is an actual transcription of its importers' marks on the receiver:
Century International Arms, Inc.
D.C. Industries, Inc
St. Paul, MN

Dave R

All up, with mags and ammo, you did fine. Consider the ammo a hedge against inflation, with the way ammo prices are flying.

Have you shot it yet? We need an update when you do!

Cpl Punishment

You did very well at that price.

You'll probably want to get a crown cut on it though.

The Yugo M70s are special only in that they have a 1.6mm stamped receiver instead of a 1mm stamped receiver found on most AKs, so it's heavier, but also heavier duty.

HorseSoldier

Sounds like a good deal to me. Sounds like local prices where you are run a little lower than my area (Yugo underfolder down here would be about $50 more on the shelf than the price you quoted), but that's just with the two 30 round magazines they ship with. With the ammo and the extra mags figured in, I'd say you got a really good deal.

the flip up night sights

On a Yugo, that would be the flip up rifle grenade sight?

gfen

On a Yugo, that would be the flip up rifle grenade sight?

That too.

The flip up grenade sight sits on teh front gas block, however, there's a little hinged plate under the front sight that flips up to cover the usual post. This plate contains a line of formerly glowing (?) paint that would duplicate where the post is.

Simeltaneously, on the rear sight platform, there's another flip up with a notch cut, each side of that also has formerly glowing (?) paint on it, as well.

Flip 'em both, and bang.. Glowing dot action.

D-Man

gfen - where did you get the rifle?

I'm looking at AK options now, and live up in the Poconos. It sounds like you got a decent deal, and might want to check out the shop you purchased it from. (Unless of course it was an online or person-to-person deal).

HorseSoldier

The flip up grenade sight sits on teh front gas block, however, there's a little hinged plate under the front sight that flips up to cover the usual post. This plate contains a line of formerly glowing (?) paint that would duplicate where the post is.

Had no idea. I've seen the flip up plate you're talking about, but didn't know that's what it was for -- never seen one with any trace of paint on it (of the maybe two I've ever handled and flipped up).

Trapp

I mean being an older model or something, perhaps? It comes from CAI, the receiver is marked Zastava Kraguevac (sp), and it does kinda rattle the mag around a bit (which, oddly, didn't strike me as odd at the time, but in hindsight, should I be bugged?). Straight cut crown, no muzzle brake, and the flip up night sights.
Older: I don't think so. Within the last year or two Century started assembling them with the DCI receivers (search for nodakspud to see his website). I have a yugo I built on a DCI receiver. I can say the receivers are top notch. As far as I know You have a new manufactured barrel. Only the first ones assembled were using the original barrels. If it is one of the original barrels, that is not a bad thing. That is what I have and the accuracy is acceptable. If you get it crowned it will help it out.

If I have confused you, basically your gun is this: Imported parts kit disassembled. Certain parts are replaced with USA manufactured parts, reassembled on a DCI receiver. Century did the work (hence century's name) DCI built the receiver (hence their name) and Zastava is actually on the front trunnion (if I am correct) not an integral part of the receiver. They were the original manufacturer of the orginal full auto AK yours used to be.

gfen

Dman: The place is called Defcon 1 on 309 in Quakertown. This was a used weapon, with the accessories that were traded in with. They did have several WASR-10s for $389.

C&D Guns in Bethlehem (Broad St) can get the WASRs for $399, the Yugo folders for $499.

There's a pair of shops on 411 in Tannersville that I checked out a couple weeks ago. One of them had several AKs on display, the other may have.. or maybe not. I wasn't in the market when I was there, so I can't tell you more.

---
Trapp: Nope, I understand where you're coming from completely. You're right WRT Zastava on the front trunnion.

I am confused about the crown, though. Only the slant-cut barrels are actually crowned? I thought crowning was a term for the cut at the end, and since there's no (obvious, at least) divots into the barrel actually at the barrel end, it is crowed, no?

That's poorly explained.

Trapp

The "slant cut" you are referring to is actually a muzzle break. $12 or less for one if your barrel is threaded (should be unless they wanted one less part for 922{r}). When I was talking about getting it crowned, if you bring it to a smithy (or D-I-Y) they will take a tool and clean up the crown (end of the barrel) so it is concentric. If you have an older barrel it is probably pitted. A clean crown will allow the gases behind the bullet disperse evenly when they depart the barrel, therefore creating better accuracy.

Trapp

Oh yeah,

Nice buy! Welcome to the AK world (from an owner of 14ish)

The mag wobble is present on all of my AK's. Never had an issue with it.

gfen

Huh, would ya look at that, I do believe it IS threaded. I didn't realize this cap affixed to the end wasn't a part of the front sight block, but appears to be screwed down with a spring plug keeping it from unscrewing.

Funny, that. Also realized the cleaning rod is gone, not that I'm much bothered by that, but I'll need to find one for completeness.

marshall2

Prices will not get cheaper!!

You did very well. In a year or two the value of your purchase will double, in my opinion.

cvb

ak prices

you did fine. prices tho are stabilizing/ downward trending-these
guns are everywhere and quite long lasting.

FlyBoy2960

wanna go shooting sometime? I live in Emmaus and belong to Unami

as far as defcon, I bought the full stock yugo from them for $449 last summer.