so after reading the smith lock/no lock thread(s)...

jborushko

WHO has actually REMOVED their smith frame lock.

i see that its super easy, i watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

but has anybody had any problems?

any end result reviews?

feelings? conserns? comments? thoughts? legality ie "removing factory saftey feature" FACTS HERE please no, "I heard from a dude"

i have a j-frame m60 that has a lock, as well as a 325 thunder ranch that has a lock- thinking about pulling said locks

orionengnr

Yes, I have removed the guts on the only ILS-equipped S&W I currently own.
I have not yet installed "the plug", but I plan to do so.

If you file them down, you will be glared at by strangers.
Don't do it.
I have no idea what he is talking about, but that's okay...neither does he. :rolleyes:

OxyGuy

If you remove the lock, you still have the hole. If you plug the hole, it looks as bad, or worse, than the hole. If you don't like the lock, just find the same or similar model without the lock.

jborushko

if you watch the video, the guy didnt remove the lock, just a part of it. or im i not seeing it right. (i am at work, so i dont have my guns infront of me)

and "just find"ing a 325 thunderranch is not possible

ATW525

I've have ground off the nub on the flag before, so the lock would no longer function. I did that on two guns, both functioned 100%. I suggest getting spare flags in the event you want to sell revolvers so modified in the future (you don't want the liability of selling a gun with lock that appears functional, but isn't).

jglsprings

I have removed the lock (actually the flag and springs) as per the video on my Model 60. I didn't have to replace the plug. It has worked fine for over 5 years. It goes to the range at least twice a month for practice. I run at least 20 rounds of 357 through it each session and a bundle of 38.

You can pick out the people who don't know what they are talking about by their answers.

The removed parts are in a baggie in the blue box. If it ever gets sold I can put them back in if the new owner so desires.

P.S. The worst part about the whole process is listening to the background music on the video.

jborushko

jglsprings said:
i have removed the lock (actually the flag and springs)

so did you leave the stock locking cylinder installed? like the guy in the video, or do you have an actual hole going to the inside of you gun?

jborushko

well i removed the "flag" and retained the locking cyl.

now i wonder about the hole left by the flag near the hammer.

anybody plug that up? or let is stay open. i am now worried about lint getting in there

2012-03-21_11-46-31_891-1.jpg

2012-03-21_11-46-50_221.jpg

jglsprings

so did you leave the stock locking cylinder installed? like the guy in the video,

Yep, just like you and the guy in the video.

Never worried about the slot for the flag. Never a problem and I pocket carry mine exclusively. Give it a blast of canned air if you think lint is going to be a problem.

jborushko

Never worried about the slot for the flag. Never a problem and I pocket carry mine exclusively. Give it a blast of canned air if you think lint is going to be a problem.

thats great! since i carry mine in a ankle holster

and its not the look a care about, i wanted to remove the lock to reduce any worry about the potential for it locking up.

kcub

I never have to worry about it because I refuse to buy them.
If everyone felt the same way guess what they would do.

Make guns without them.

TMD

I have a Performance Center .460 mag and it has the lock in it. With my reloads it has so far ruined two Nikon's and one Bushnell scope and the lock had yet to fail. I think its much a do about nothing.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Well, I've thus far owned two ILS-equipped S&W revolvers and neither has given me any trouble attributable to the lock (my 629 did break its firing pin once), and I've seen nothing to convince me that the lock causing problems is anything but an extremely rare QC issue, so I don't really see any good reason to go messing around with it.

Don P

I altered the lock. I filed the half moon that actuates the lock. It took more time to get to the part than to file it flat. S&W Forums have a stickey on it with regards to "how to"

wheelyfun

I removed mine.....can't even see where the hole was....
043.jpg

Daaahhhhttt!!
Just kidding.
Bought a 340 M&P with no lock!

jborushko

Just kidding.
Bought a 340 M&P with no lock!

wanna throw some of the extra disposable income my way? i got a wedding to pay for!! ..just kidding

i just dont have it in me to buy something i already have, i have been looking at the newer j-frames but not all of them have the option of no lock.

besides my TRR8 and White Rhino are next on the list so it'll be awhile before i buy another j-frame

jad0110

Well, I've thus far owned two ILS-equipped S&W revolvers and neither has given me any trouble attributable to the lock (my 629 did break its firing pin once), and I've seen nothing to convince me that the lock causing problems is anything but an extremely rare QC issue, so I don't really see any good reason to go messing around with it.

I feel the same way, mostly. Of the dozen or so S&Ws I own, 2 have the ILS. These were my first 2 S&Ws purchased, incidentally ... I decided I didn't care for what the lock represented so I've not bought any since. Still love my 642 and 686+ though. I've never had an issue with them, and probably won't mess with them. Though it is somewhat tempting, as I do rely on both for defense (642 is my pocket protector, and the 686+ is my bedside gun), especially on the little 642 given it's light weight and +P loads. It'd be easy enough to do it on the 686 by just removing the flag mechanism. I dunno, maybe one of these days.

As for legality, I think the only time it might present an issue is if one leaves a loaded ILS-disabled S&W out where I child gets a hold of it and does something tragic with it. Might possibly make a terrible situation even worse. As for a SD shooting, I think any defense attorney with barely a 1/4 brain in their butt could easily point out (perhaps with a demonstration) that the ILS is not intended to function or be used in the same manner as a manual safety or deckocker on other firearms. Can you imagine fumbling with that tiny little dark colored key, trying to insert it into a tiny dark little hole, while being assaulted?

Last edited: