Snubbie recommendation

Dogger

After a long hiatus from revolvers I want to pick up a snubby 38 special for CCW.

I used to own a S&W M640, and loved it to death, but at 23 ounces empty it is too heavy for jacket pocket carry in my opinion.

I used to own a S&W M442 airweight, but the internal lock-work froze up on me with +p ammo... I lost all confidence in the S&W airweight.

Won't buy a new S&W given their sellout.

That said, what do you recommend that is
(1) 100% reliable with a 158grain +p load or Federal 125gr +p nyclad
(2) weight fully loaded is less than 20 ounces
(3) reasonably fun to shoot (e.g. none of the lighter than air titanium snubbies)

Have I put myself out of the market??

Smith and Wesson 342PD. A very light weight (mine is ~ 14 ounces loaded) revolver. I carried a SW642LS prior to getting the 342PD. I didn't think that the 342PD's weight difference would mean much. But after carrying it for it for first time, I decided the lighter weight is of great importance to me. I carry IWB with a Barami Hip-Grip.

It is however not rated for +p 158gr lead due to possible bullet jump due to recoil and a "loose" crimp on lead loads. Others have reported shooting +p 158gr lead with success however. I shoot standard pressure 158gr lead with no problem as well.

MellowMikey

442,642,342... All are great guns, the 342 is a bit pricy, but is the easiest to carry as it is the lightest. I have a 342. :D
You will like whichever one you pick.

Best wishes,
Mikey

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Won't buy a new S&W given their sellout.

If you are boycotting *&* and can't find a used one, the Taurus M85UL fills your bill nicely, and the Ruger SP-101 is only five-ish ounces over your listed weight and is way fun to shoot.

Lightsped

Taurus has some nice snubbies out as well....
Here are mine. A Stainless M85, and a Total Titanium Model 85.....

my2taurus85s.jpg

Just remember that while buying a Taurus. You are buying an inferior revolver with a built-in, non-removable gun lock (an elemement of the UNENFORCED SW Agreement). Taurus also tried to force other handgun manufacturers to install it's built-in, non-removable gun lock. How a non-removable, built-in gun lock is pro-gun is beyond me.

Ruger INVENTED the sell out. Of course, they did it on their own volition without any bans or law suits in sight many years ago, not that they haven't continued to so (why you don't have a light weight SP-101).

"Won't buy a new S&W given their sellout." and "Have I put myself out of the market?"

I am sorry. I should have read better, and yes.

Marko Kloos

Check out the new Taurus 850T CIA, 16-ounce titanium hammerless snubbie:

http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/m850t.html

*&* can take a long walk off a short dock. They don't even have anything like this in their lineup. The new Taurus wheelguns are every bit as good as the current crop of non-Performance Center *&* offerings. I have a new Model 85 Stainless with a trigger that is better than any recent J-frame I've held.

I love my *&* wheelguns...I own more of that brand than any other handgun brand. Mine were all bought used, and they all date back from the days when *&* still cared about making fine revolvers. Case-hardened milled hammers and triggers, leaf springs, firing pins on the hammer, pinned barrels...not all that cost-saving junk they incorporated later on. The last 342 I checked out had a trigger that felt "like dragging a piano over a gravel road", to borrow a term from someone else.

Check out http://www.taurususa.com, they make fine and innovative snubbies. They also care about gun rights.

The internal lock on all new Taurus revolvers comes deactivated by default, and it's the user's choice to activate it. It does not render the gun inoperable unless willfully enabled by the owner. In my opinion, the voluntary, unobtrusive and fail-safe lock on the hammer was a wise move. It was the least intrusive way to cover Taurus against lawsuits and legislative blackmail.

Gunslinger

The Taurus being an inferior weapon is a matter of opinion and one that I do not share. I have had extremely good luck with Taurus's product line and in fact am mode impressed with the internals on those than the later crop of Smith's.

When you say Taurus has tried to force the trigger locks on others what do you base that on? Funny, I've heard nothing about that.

"When you say Taurus has tried to force the trigger locks on others what do you base that on?"

IIRC a TFL post from a senior member. You can search through them as good as I can. Because I won't, especially for you.

zot

how does the trigger lock on Taurus's effect fucntion?and
does this lock mean you don't have to put a damned trigger
lock on?I think the lock is a good idea! I had to buy so many trigger locks and cable locks its BS!wish all guns came with a chicago lock on the receiver. anyway Taurus is
ALOT cheaper than a S&W, I like the 605s never had any trouble from the 2 I have.Ruger is the best and stongest,
SP-101 in .357.

This subject has come up often recently.......

Here is my reply to one of the threads:

I like the S&W Bodyguard Airweight, Model 638, with the "humped back", shrouded hammer.

For me, it offers the best of both worlds....you can still cock the hammer, if required, for a longer range emergency shot.

Also, you can perform a cylinder rotation check....You may think that the cylinder will never bind, but it has happened to me. (The dirt, dust, and lint that will get into your gun in ankle carry makes binding all the more possible.)

The Model 638 has the snag-free qualities of the enclosed-hammer, Centenial series:

1) It will not hang-up on the draw due to your hammer catching on clothing.

2) It can be fired from inside, and through a jacket pocket or a woman's purse.

The threads can be found at:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=362&forum=16&25

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67691

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66599

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=68753

By the way, these S&W snubbies have been in production many years, so there are thousands of these revolvers available on the used market. I would rather have an old used S&W than any new Taurus revolver.

-Mk.IV

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Last I checked...

...Taurus was offered a chance to sign the same sellout agreement as *&*. They told Cuomo and crew to go pound sand, then passed out free NRA memberships with every new gun purchase.

I'm glad you like your J-frame, cuerno. *&* does indeed make fine sixguns, but you've made your decision and I've made mine. You don't have to rationalize your purchase to anyone, but neither does anyone else need to rationalize to you why they refuse to buy new *&* products. However, don't pee on my leg and try and tell me it's raining. I've worked in the industry for almost a decade now. I know what I've read in communiques from the corporations in question; I know what I've seen. *&* was already suffering from a growing price gap and a shrinking quality gap before the agreement. This boycott will, sadly, just be the final nail in their coffin...

People are free to make unwise decisions. One can choose an incompetent surgeon to perform a life saving operation becuase they like their politics. I would simply choose to use the best surgeon irregardless of his politics. Since my guns are for life and death situations, I'll choose them that way as well.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
In the last ten years I've owned enough Taurus and *&* wheelguns (at least 20+ of each, plus heaven-only-knows-how-many test-fired, repaired or borrowed) to make up my own mind, but thanks for your concern. ;)

Kaboom

I have a question? What is the reason for +p loading in a snubby. Is it for the added muzzle blast or what. There just can't be that much of a gain in velocity against controlibility.

Captain Bligh

It seems like you have to decide what you want. There is a trade-off of sorts, in my opinion. Light snubbies are easier to carry. Heavier snubbies are better to shoot. Heavier snubbies tolerate recoil better and I think it would follow there there is faster second shot capability. I made my choice a S & W Model 60. I based that decision on a gun I wanted to shoot, not the weight.

Besides it's all relative. If I don't carry the M 60, I carry a Kimber Compact. The M 60 feels like an airweight after carrying the steel-framed Kimber all day.

RJ

Hey ceurno....you said you have a a 642 and 642LS....aren't they the exact same gun except for the grips?....just curious because i want one down the road.

scoops

i shoot +P and really do not notice anymore recoil or mussel flash from my detective spec.i think +p are only 10% more powerful anyhow.not really that big a deal.:barf: