Snubbie Accuracy - Does it really matter?

I've got one of those Ruger SP101's that has the barrel that was installed on an angle (to the right) so it shoots a bit to the left (nice groups about 8" off point of aim at 25 yards/less, of course, at fighting distances). Are most snubbies somewhat inaccurate, but accurate enough for the intended purpose? Just wondering before I flush my Ruger down the toilet.

Dfariswheel

Most snubbies aren't inaccurate. The Colt Detective Special, for instance, is capable of surprising accuracy at 100 yards.

It's just that the short sight radius, and the small grips make most of them difficult to shoot well.

However, since the snubbie is intended for close range self defense, moderate accuracy is enough.

I would send a target and the gun back to Ruger for a warranty fix.
Even if you're not the original owner Ruger will usually fix it for no charge.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

That's probably OK for close, defensive use. But Ruger can probably fix it by rotating the barrel slightly (not familiar with the GP, but that's the fix on most wheelies). I'd let them do it if you can stand to be without the gun for a little while.

I did that and Ruger finger ****** my trigger job when I told them not to after they said that they have to return the gun back to factory specs before addressing the barrel that they improperly installed even though the trigger job had nothing to do with their lack of attention to detail from the start on the improperly installed barrel. So now, after another trigger job (to un**** their ********) and a few Next Day Air fees, ... So there.
Maybe a S&W 60. Damn, my intention wasn't to get pissed again. Ya can't win'em all.
And two smiths said that it's more effort than it's worth to pull the barrel and reinstall it properly (or whatever).

Walosi

My SP101 is almost the equal of an old Detective Special I once owned, and D'wheel is not exaggerating about their accuracy potential. My wife once worked for a polce chief in Iowa who shot his DS in PPC, and liked to bounce softballs with it at 100 yds. The SP101 is capable of this (but I'm not). I would definitely check it out with Ruger, and send it to them if at all possible. Extending the range of a defensive gun is never a bad idea.

Certainly accuracy matters. Accuracy matters no matter what you are shooting. Most people convice themselves that this certain gun is only to be used in a certain senario that they have dreamed up. It appearently never occurs to them that if they need to shoot, the senario might not be the one and only one they envision. For example; lets say you are eating in a rather large restraunt. You are finished eating, give your dinner partner the bill and enough cash to cover the bill. You tell her to pay while you go to the restroom in the back. While you are in there, shots ring out. A guy walked in the front door and began executing people about 75 feet from where you are standing. This is the perfect time to call a time out because your CCW gun is only intended for short range and accuracy doesn't matter. Pick your own senario. You hear comments all the time about how this particular gun is only intended for short range; you also hear about how you will have a hard time explaining taking a long shot to a jury. Ok, what if it simply doesn't go down that way ? Let's say a guy 30 yards way opens fire on you because he is a psycho and you have no where to run ? Again, tell him that someone on the internet told you this couldn't happen and it isn't fair.

CAP1

Snubbies

Most snubbie type handguns I consider to be "GET AWAY FROM ME" guns, not target guns. Of course you want them accurate within 20 feet. Past that is just a bonus.
My .02.
CAP

C.R.Sam

Most snubbies are quite accurate.
Most snubbie shooters aren't.

Accuracy IS important.
Accurate at 20 feet will probably be accurate at 100 feet.

If the gun won't do it...get it fixed.
If the shooter can't do it, practice and get help if necessary.

Sam

Paul Fitz Jones

Fantastic accuracy with a 60

I have a post on file about going to the PD range for my monthly qualification and forgot my duty pistol and only had my offduty 60 with me. Ted Lane a LEO rangemaster and gun magazine writer in the 70's liked to make qualifying interesting and when I arrived the targets were bull, bull and bull on the last one which was unheard of in the 70's. I thought what the Heck and fired it timed and rapid fire all fast draw and rapid fire instinctively and shot DX much to the shock of myself and Ted. We had an interesting conversation while it was happening. I call it my instinctive shooting post. And he had to examine my 60.

When I was 10 I was given a tiny Smith 22 revolver with a 1 inch barrel that nobody wanted and considered worthless for anything but a laugh. I determined to master it and concentrated while laying down, on that sight picture and trigger squeeze til I could hit the spots on cards at a short distance. I never concencentrated so hard in my life.

Kcustom45

Snubbie Accuracy

I just finished watching American Shooter and the shot of the week was Bob Mundan shooting a S&W Mod 60 in .38special at an 8 inch balloon. Here's the kicker, the balloon was 200 yards away. Needless to say he did it. He actually did it 3 times in a row. That was cool.

makarov

According to my Sierra Hangun reloading manual they state that barrel length itself has no effect on accuracy, but as people mentioned the sight radius does have an effect. Quality of the sights would also make a difference. How well you can get a good sight picture and hold it steady. Longer barrels do give you added velocity, but no better accuracy. Sight radius is another variable.

With that said, I am WAY more accurate shooting a heavy 6" barrel revolver or heavy target pistol than a short barrel gun. I have gotten to be pretty good with my Russian Mak though and it has a short barrel and sight radius (also has pretty pathetic sights).

SteelyDan

I think the term "accuracy," in normal usage, includes both the "theoretical accuracy" the gun is capable of, and the "practical accuracy" that takes into account how accurately a normal person will be able to shoot it. Frankly, the snubbies have a lot more "theoretical accuracy" than I would have believed a few years ago, but unless you've got a lot of practice (or a Ransom Rest in your back pocket) the average shooter will find a larger barrel to be more accurate.

So, my two cents is that accuracy in snubbies does matter, because sometimes that's all you may have, and the target may not always be seven yards away.

Dfariswheel

AnklePocket

Since Ruger won't fix it without playing with your trigger job, take it to any good pistol smith. Requalifing a revolver barrel is not THAT big a deal. Any good 'smith will be able to put the front sight at top-dead-center, and your problem will be fixed, without playing around with the trigger job.

I've been to two smiths already, then, that aren't really that good and I've spent a little too much on this paperweight at this point. I really like almost everything about the gun so it's worth one more chance. Hopefully I can find a good smith.

Nevermind - It's outta here.

Last edited:

Rob96

I used to have a Taurus M85 that I considerred to have acceptable accuracy. I now have a Ruger SP101 that has unbelievable accuracy, surprised me.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
It matters to me,

cuz I have been known to qualify with the small 5-shot
S&W 2" barrel J-frames on a standard police qualification
course. And, I like to be as proficent as possible!:D :cool: :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Eric Larsen

IMO, Hell yes it matters. Just because a situation may arise that doesnt require long range accuracy from a gun is no excuse to not use or expect a gun that is capable of it. Thats it.

If you take the sight radius out of the equation its easy to be accurate with a snubbie...SERIOUSLY...

Heres a pic of a target with my SP's CTC Laser grip at work.
It groups like that at 50' if I can hold still enough...got a 3 rnd string going like it at 50' last week and pulled the last shot...oh well. Shoot well

Attachments

• sp-laser-25\'.jpg
    sp-laser-25\'.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

JohnKirk

Eric, I'll back you on this one. I never could see the blasted sights very well with my Smith snubs, even before I got older eyes (59). I, like you, installed a Crimson Trace on my Centennial. With this set up, I can easily get hits inside the 9 ring on a B-27 at 25 yards. Before the CT, someone would be pretty safe at that range (with this gun). I have one ordered for my beloved 3" Model 66 (I have two, grin...) and expect it to work as well. A great tool to teach trigger control.............