Snub Nose Revolver Questions

lonegunman

I am looking for a snub nose revolver for concealed carry... and I need some advice. Leaning towards something the size of a J frame.

I dont think I want an exposed hammer because of snag problems drawing it. So my choices would be either a DAO model or a shrouded model.

Which would you prefer? I am leaning towards the shrouded.

Should I go with one that can accomodate 357 mag? how much practical difference is there between 357 mag and 38 spec +P out of a snub?

Right now my top 2 choices would be the Ruger sp101 or a J frame made by the gun manufacturer whose name I shall not speak... which is best? (politics aside; I will probably be buying used anyway).

How do you guys pack your snubbies?

M16

I own both concealed hammer and shrouded hammer. I really don't prefer one more than the other. The edge probably goes to a totally concealed hammer as you will not fire this type of gun a lot in single action mode. The J-frame Smith & Wesson would be the way to go. I'd say my favorite is my 9mm model 940 and in .38 spcl 442. I prefer the airweight guns because they are more for carrying than shooting. I wouldn't reccomend Ruger as they only build sporting guns. Their weapons are heavy and a bit on the crude side. Trigger pulls are always lousy. The Smith & Wesson J-frame is the best there is. Nothing else comes close.

I'm the same as M16. It doesn't make any difference to me whether it has a shrouded or concealed hammer. I've owned both types over the years. With the shrouded hammer, I never thumb cocked it, so that was sort of a non-entity feature for me.

Right now I've got a concealed hammer snubbie, but no shrouded hammer snubs. Funny thing is, though, I think the shrouded hammer guns look so damned neat.

M16

I just tuck mine inside my waistband without a holster. One little trick that works is to wrap a heavy rubber band around the upper portion of the grip. This keeps the grip from sliding below the waistband. The Barami Hip Grip is also a neat little gadget. All the experts say that you should always carry in a holster. So I guess I'll just have to stay a rookie. I live in a hot climate where my casual dress is blue jeans and a colored cotton t-shirt. A holster is too bulky for me. After carrying revolvers and semi-autos (except Glocks and Kahrs) like this for years I still have all my body parts.

I normally use either a pocket holster or a Don Hume JIT belt holster, which I just got, but which I REALLY like.

I also have a couple of different IWB holsters, but when you've got love handles like mine, IWBs tend not to be the most comfortable thing in the world. :)

BUTCH48

My daily carry, SP-101 in a Desantis Speed Scabbard with a thumb break. 125 grain Speer Gold Dot HP. I feel more confortable carrying .357 Mag instead of .38 SPC.

sox

Model 37 with bobbed hammer and double action only. The weight is 13.5 oz. The hump on the centennial style is not there and thus the gun is a little more compact. I think this weight is about the minimum. I have a titanium and am rethinking my choice. This is just my two cents. I prefer the J frames because of all the available accessories out there. I love toying with mine. For example, I put wolff springs in to lighten my trigger pull, which was atrocious initially-cost about 10.00. Grips from CDNN 4.00, Uncle mikes IWB 9.95, Uncle mikes pocket holster 9.95. I shoot 100grain wadcutters and 125/130grain for comfortable practice.

johnbt

I really like the .357 Mag. S&W 649. Stainless with shrouded hammer. My father has one and although it has one of the best, and shortest, SA pulls I've seen on a reasonably priced production gun, we mostly practice using the DA because it's still not a target pistol. The downside is that it is just a tad too heavy at 23 oz. for what I like.

I bought a used 442-1. At 15.8 ounces, .38 Spec. Plus-P lead hollowpoints are a bit much, recoilwise, compared to Silvertips or Fed. 125gr'ers in the 649, but manageable.

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/waist.html Covert Carry clip-on (clip-in?) IWB. Mine has the FBI cant, because that's what he had at the show, but he makes a vertical model. I've been using it in front of the hip and it even allows your shirt to be tucked in if need be.

John

beemerb

I sometimes carry a S&W M 36 that I bobbed the hammer on.For carry I use a clip draw.It attaches to the right side useing longer screws so no holster or any other things.Carry one strip loader in pocket and all set to go.
I will echo M 19 as far as the ruger goes.Trigger pull not so good and too heavey.Ruger makes some fine firearms but not good concealed carry guns.
Before the flame starts I do not like the P series rugers as they do not fit me.

Swamp Yankee

If your going to buy used I would like to reccommend the Colt Detective Special or its alloy framed counterpart of which I am very fond the Colt Cobra. One advantage, 6 shots vs. 5. Used Detective Specials in good to excellent condition can be found between $250 to $300. If you want the hammer bobbed a smith should be able to do this for a reasonable fee.
I carry my Cobra in a Don Hume JIT slide holster. I am very pleased with it and the price is reasonable.
Take Care

Stoic

The SP101 is too heavy for pocket carry. You'll need a good holster and belt. I'd go with the S&W J Frame Centennial Airlite Ti. It's a little less than 11 ounces at 10.8 ounces unloaded. Taurus also makes a comparable lightweight version that copies the J frame.

However, the SP101 starts at 25 ounces. I concealed carried a bobbed hammer SP101 in .357mag in a paddle holster for over a year. It was just too heavy compared to the alternatives and its firepower.

The SP101 is extremely well made and designed and durable. The heavier weight does control recoil. If I were to get another SP101, then I'd send it for a Weigand Conversion.

http://www.jackweigand.com/

sp101.GIF

shiroikuma

Colt alloy framed snubbie is very nice. Better sights than a J frame and a 6 shooter.

Here is my "hit with and ugly stick" according to an unkind TFL poster Colt Agent. Alloy frame 6 shooter, with bolt on hammer shroud and micro grips.

View

View

shiro

notbubba

You may want to consider a Taurus 85 .38 special +P or a 605 .357.
You may also want to think about getting it ported.
A ported 605 handles full mag loads well, with (for me at least) good point shooting.
But I wouldn't want to fire it inside without ear plugs.:eek:

I don't agree with the porting advice.

On a small defensive handgun I feel that porting can be a big liability if you have to shoot from a high retention position. You can end up with a face full of powder gas and assorted debris. In a worst case scenario, you could actually end up blinding yourself temporarily.

tyro

Of course, what Mike says about porting is quite true. However, for those of us who have chosen to have ported handguns, there is a way to minimize or even eliminate the adverse possibilities inherent in shooting from a retention position. That is to train to shoot with the wrist canted away from the body when in a retention position. I can't remember where I read it, but there was a recent article on a gun web site written by a firearms instructor advocating and explaining this way of using a ported handgun from a retention position.

Many thanks, Mike, for reminding me to practice what I have read and just reported.

sox

Tyro, you are right on. I had a Taurus 85UC with ports. I don't think it was the 3.5 oz. weight difference between it and my 342PD, but it sure did tame the recoil. Most of the recoil on these small frames is muzzleflip. That is where porting makes the biggest impact. I am going to port my next J frame. It makes practice that much more tolerable with the full power loads, and practice I think is essential. Afterall, the likelihood of MY having to use the gun is slim, but it is comforting to have.

rock_jock

If you plan on shooting it for practice quite a bit (which I recommend as it is your responsibility to know the firearm you carry), I give the nod to the shrouded hammer. The hammer helps a lot for range time, but I don't use it during IDPA matches. I did a lot of research before buying what I belive is one of the very best snubbies on the market - a S&W M638. It is an aluminum alloy weighing 14 ozs and chambered to fire +P 38's.

As for the politics of buying S&W, I support the ban (my S&W's were all pre-sellout), but am of the opinion that if you are intent on buying a gun to defend your life (as opposed for playing and competition), you should get the best, and S&W is the best even if they are a bunch of turncoats.