"Snapping" a cylinder open and closed!

Doug 29

How can "snapping" a cylinder open and closed damage the crane, affect the timing, or damage ANY part of the revolver when it is designed to withstand 35,000 psi on a sudden and regular basis? That has to be very high quality steel. Thanks, Doug.

C.R.Sam

Look carefully at revolver while opening and closing it. Note the size (area) of the surfaces that stop the motion at the end of travel. Note the mass of the cylinder-crane assembly and the lever length involved.

Flip the cylinder open and you are far exceeding 35,000 psi at the stop.

Do the math
Or listen to old farts
Same answer

Sam

You're right, it can't.

So, snap the cylinder home to your heart's content.

I suggest doing it dozens of times a day...

In a few weeks... OOPS!

Ok, smart answer aside, as Sam notes, firing the gun puts different kinds of force on it, and most importantly, in different locations.

When you fire a revolver:

1. The firing force moves out in all directions at the same time. When you snap the cylinder shut, all of the force is moving in one direction.

2. On firing, the cylinder is held front and rear by the crane assembly. The cylinder bolt and crane pivot take very little force, actually. When you snap the cylinder shut the cylinder bolt is slammed into the side of the cylinder bolt window, which can cause both battering of the cylinder bolt AND the window. Also, when snapping the cylinder shut, the entire cylinder assmebly is pivoting at one point, at the front of the cylinder, which means that there's a considerable amount of non-linear torquing force on the crane.

Finally, and MOST importantly, is that not all parts of the revolver need to be as strong as others.

Because the cylinder yoke, pivot pin, and crane assembly really don't take much of the force of firing at all, they don't need to be heat treated to withstand the kind of force that the cylinder does.

One final point I wanted to make and forgot to do so...

Picture this correlary...

1. You have a car with a manual transmission. Shifting properly (smooth acceleration with proper clutch technique) can get you many, many thousands of miles before you need to service the clutch. (I had 150,000 miles on my 1991 Plymouth Sundance when it died, and the clutch was original and still pretty tight. I figure I could have gotten 200,000 plus out of the clutch.)

2. Now picture a ham foot who revs the engine to high RPMs and pops the clutch at every stop sign, stop light, etc., in every gear (I've known a couple of these people). It's not long before the clutch starts to show signs of wear, and it will need major servicing LONG before the clutch that is treated properly.

Why?

Because the clutch is designed to be used as I've described in scenario 1. Scenario 2 constitutes abuse, and the clutch, not being designed to handle the kinds of extra forces that are being put on it, fails more quickly.

In essence, that's what you're doing to the cylinder on your revolver when you snap it shut.

SDC

There's so much mass on the end of the crane, that it twists when you "snap" it closed; this leaves the cylinder out of alignment when it finally is closed. This means that the bullet leaves the chamber mouth headed into the side of the barrel. A quick way to check for this is to look at the way the crane and crane cut-out line up when the cylinder is locked up; if one side is tight and the other is loose, that tells you that the crane is twisted.

I'll let you in on a secret.

Sam can't do the math either, unless it's under 21. And that's only if he's in his bare feet with his zipper down... :)

chaim

I have a friend who 'snaps' the cylinder closed every time he closes it. I've told him many times not to and that it can damage the gun. I've also told him not to with the only explaination that it is my gun and I want it closed properly. I have a friend who is no longer allowed to go to the range with me unless he only shoots the rentals.

Chaim,

I know the feeling...

Friend of mine did that, and when I asked him not to do it again, he gave me some smarts, so I grabbed his goatee and gave it a good yanking to get my point/displeasure across. :)

Walosi

The pre-60s terminology for this stems from Humphrey Bogart's tough-guy mannerisms in his movies. A line from a 60s song goes "Don't Bogart that joint, my friend" from Bogey's habit of flipping his cigarette butts nonchalantly away in any direction. Doing that in a national park will have Smokey the Bear hitting you in the face with a shovel. Snapping a cylinder closed is also called "Bogarting", and if done on one of my guns, will cause ME to hit you with a shovel. Just another "old fart reaction" :rolleyes:

keano44

Could you "farts", old or otherwise, please give your definition of "snapping the cylinder". Then also explain the proper way to close a cylinder that won't get someone's goatee yanked or get them hit with a shovel.
Thanks

Marko Kloos

"Snapping the cylinder" means closing the cylinder one-handed by flicking the wrist of the gun hand so the inertia will swing the cylinder into the gun and make it crash into the frame window.

It is very bad practice for the reasons listed above, of course. The proper way to close a cylinder is to use the non-gun hand to grasp the cylinder and the gun frame, and then gently but firmly swing the cylinder up and lock it into place.

NapAttack

My father actually did that once to one of my revolvers. He didn't have a goatee so I asked him nicely not to do it again. I only have 1 friend I like well enough to handle my guns but he knows enough not to do that.

Quartus

No, Eric, I qualify for "Old Fart in Training."

Why, you'se just a young pup, Mike! All this time I thought you wuz a bona fide Old Fart!

:D

Somebody snaps a cylinder on MY gun and I'll snap their wrist!

:mad: