Snap cap vs dummy round

reteach

I'm going to guess that most of you knew this already, but for the few who weren't aware -

I mail-ordered a package that was labeled by the manufacturer, as "Action Proving Dummy Rounds/Snap Caps." I didn't see a difference between dummy round and snap cap. When they arrived I noticed a warning to the effect that if I use them as snap caps I will deform the heads to the point they will not be usable.

It is my error. I didn't read the description closely enough. I have snap caps in other calibers and I guess just lucked out when I bought them and didn't choose "dummy rounds." Maybe someone reading this will be warned to avoid this mistake.

Pahoo

What caliber .....

I will deform the heads
What heads are they referring to and what caliber are these. Seems to me that the vendor is over-selling his product. With the information you list I would be forced to only use these as dummy rounds functional use. I use both and there are times when I use them for dual use. Could yo provide us with a link. I'm guessing these are .22's but only a guess...……. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

FrankenMauser

I'm assuming you bought yourself some of the blue anodized A-Zoom .22 LR dummies.
They're still snap caps. But, like pretty much all other rimfire snap caps, they have a limited lifespan. (And that's why you get six to twelve in a package, instead of one or two.)
I know of no rimfire snap cap on the market that isn't a limited-use design.

A-Zoom lists the .22 LR version as "Action Proving Rimfire Dummy Rounds", not as "Snap Caps", because that's what they're for: testing, tuning, and proving reliability without the use of live rounds.
Originally, that's what all of their aluminum 'snap caps' were sold as (action proving dummy rounds); but as their use as snap caps became more common, they changed the material in the 'primer pocket' to be more durable and began marketing them to the greater public (instead of just gunsmiths, manufacturers, and training companies).

44 AMP

Staff
A proper dummy round /action proving round duplicates live ammo in all aspects, except powder and primer. Same dimensions materials, weight, and balance. A snap cap may do this, but most do not.

Snap caps should not be relied on as dummy rounds. I've seen a situation where snap caps were used to check the cycling of an action, and worked fine, however a live loaded round did not. A dummy round made of a real bullet and case did not, but an aluminum snap cap, misleadingly did.
(and, it was in a 1911! :eek:)

Dummy rounds can be made to also be snap caps, check with the maker.

reteach

They are the blue .22 LR anodized aluminum rounds. I hadn't thought about how difficult it would be to make a rimfire snap cap that wouldn't be deformed after some use. Makes sense now that you point it out to me.

I got them more for use as dummy rounds anyway. I will be teaching some non-shooters how to shoot and want them to load and unload at the kitchen table before we go to the range. But I plan to have them pull the triggers a few times, too. I'm OK with breaking the dummy rounds. All the practice we can do at home will make my new shooters safer at the range, and that's worth the cost to me.

Thanks for the replies.

Pahoo

Secondary use

I use fire .22 cases as snap caps. Some folks have suggested using drywall anchors.
Once you learn how to handle them, they work quite well. I also use a spent case to demonstrate how to clear a rifle. I file off a section of the rim that the extractor can't catch. I open the bolt and nothing comes out, then ask the student if the rifle is clear. :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

FrankenMauser

I use fire .22 cases as snap caps.
Same here.
If I don't feel like dry-firing* the firearm, I'll use a fired case and rotate it between trigger pulls if multiple strikes are to be made.

I have a dozen of the A-Zoom dummies. They're only used as dummies. They've never been touched by a firing pin.

*(Yes, I dry-fire many of my rimfires, under certain circumstances. No, I don't want to discuss when, why, how, or the pros and cons of the practice. This isn't the place.)

reteach

The dummy rounds worked fine for showing a couple of new shooters how to load and unload a revolver and semi-auto and how to use a speed loader. When we used the dummy rounds to dry fire, the rims (that has to be what A_Zoom means by "heads") were dented and deformed. We could still dry fire with them in the revolver, but they wouldn't fit in a speed loader or magazine, so no more loading practice after the dry fire. They worked for us long enough to show the newbies the basics. When they got to the range the next day, there was no awkwardness with loading and unloading. So worth the $12 I spent on them.