Smokey 357 Loads

studman5578

Fellow reloaders,

I've been trying to create a good load for my 357 mag (its a S&W revolver with a 4 inch barrel) and the loads are making huge clouds of smoke. I've tried 3 different loads with 3 different powders and have gotten the same results. I've used:

5.9 grains of bullseye pushing a 158 grain cast SWC
14.7 grains of 2400 pushing a 158 gr LFP
10.0 grains of Blue Dot pushing a 158 gr LFP

I'm curious if any of you have had this same problem/found a solution for it? or does lots of smoke just come with the 357 mag territory?

also kindof off topic, is titegroup powder still in production? i've looked at all the places by me and haven't even seen a spot for it on the shelves. according to my load books its a pretty useful powder so i'm just curoius. Thanks

Brian

GP100man

where theres smoke theres fire!!!

it`s the lube on the boolits & low to medium pressure loads the powder will puff a little more , but mostly the lube though.

Crosshair

It's the lube. Are you casting your own or using commercial cast? What make?

Yes Titegroup is still being made. It's in short supply right now though. Very useful powder.

studman5578

I bought these cast bullets from a guy on gunbroker.com. He said that he used blue magma lube on his bullets. Are there bullet alloys or bullet designs that do not need lube?

AlaskaMike

Not really. You could probably take a soft lead bullet and push it at only 700 fps through a really good barrel, also assuming a good bullet to bore/groove fit, and get no leading. But for all practical purposes a cast bullet needs lube.

One thing to check is whether there's any lube on the bullet bases. That'll make 'em smoke like crazy.

Mike

eme

You could try moly coated bullets. The coating is the lube and they do not cause smoke. Try calling Bear Creek in Calif. @1-209-874-4322. To me the prices are right and the bullets do not smoke or lead in any of the calibers I shoot. Have sent their 148 grain wc @ 1375fps out of a 357 mag( favorite load). Have also shot them out of a Marlin with Micro groove rifling and no leading what so ever @ over 1600 FPS. Try them you might like them. Good luck in your quest.