Smokeless Powder and wads?

Alamosa Bill

Does anyone use a light weight wad to hold the powder down, I’ve loaded plenty without but was wondering if there’s any benefit to it.

In loads with low loading density, it theoretically will improve standard deviation by keeping powder over the flash hole, which maximizes pressure with some loads. However, taking up the empty space in the cartridge raises pressure, so something very light and low in bulk density, like polyester pillow stuffing is needed to minimize that, and loads should be worked up over again.

Be aware of a number of reports of chambers being ringed by the use of fillers and wads, so this is something to be cautious with.

Alamosa Bill

In loads with low loading density, it theoretically will improve standard deviation by keeping powder over the flash hole, which maximizes pressure with some loads. However, taking up the empty space in the cartridge raises pressure, so something very light and low in bulk density, like polyester pillow stuffing is needed to minimize that, and loads should be worked up over again.

Be aware of a number of reports of chambers being ringed by the use of fillers and wads, so this is something to be cautious with.
Interesting, I’ve just loaded some 44-40 with 5.8 grains of bullseye and used a wad made from a playing card, now I’m not sure I did right?

What bullet seating depth?

Generally, I don't think a wad that thin will do much. Certainly not in a few rounds. But be aware that recoil may unseat a lot of your wads anyway.

Seedy Character

In experimenting with very light loads, for Cowboy shooting, i found lots of variation using low density loads.

After loading the powder, I used a Lee dipper and added corn meal to fill the case to bullet seating depth, creating a very slight compressed charge.

Consistency was greatly improved.

At a Cowboy shoot, one shooter commented, " it must be about lunch time, I smell cornbread. "

retfed

Over powder wads in handguns

Just a small word of caution regarding the small "puffs" of fabric fibers. Make sure the one you chose will burn up on firing, and not be one that will MELT. That can cause major problems.

Lou
Retfed