SMLE

Cat

I have a chance to pick up an Enfield Mark I for $75. The bore looks OK. It's a CAI import. I would get it mostly for nostalgic reasons and an occasional trip to the range. It would spend a lot of time next to my '03 in the rack. (They could tell each other war stories). What do you think of this piece? What kind of accuracy should I expect using good ammo?

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Do you mean the Number One Mark III or Mark III*? This was the Brit Commonwealth MBR during and after WWI if I remember correctly. Good accuracy for a battle rifle.

The other main variation are the Number 4 (and its variations) and the Number 5 (the "Jungle Carbine").

MAD DOG

Generally speaking, you can't beat them for the price, but I prefer the #4 MK1 or MK2, as they have better sights, and a slightly improved action, at about the same price.
I have a couple of them, and they are great fun to shoot. The currently available Greek Non Corrosive ball ammo is cheap and plentiful, and it works great.
I have removed the top wood from the military stocks, and bobbed the forend back, adding a scnabel to it for looks.
It takes all of an hour to "sporterize" one this way, and reduces the carry weight by a couple of pounds. The total cost is a bit of time with a saw and a rasp, and a few sheets of sandpaper.
This makes an ideal truck gun, and a great all round beater, capable of taking game up through Black Bear on this continent.

They are also generally in fine condition, although there are some dogs floating around.
They are a decent hunting weapon and exhibit good accuracy for a battle rifle, as proven by the 60,000 or so dead Russians that the Afghans created using primarily #1mk3 Enfields.
There are a plethora of parts and accessories for them, and they are all inexpensive.
Be sure to find some extra magazines.

You can "Scouterize" them with the "Ashley/Clifton Scout Mount" available thorugh Ashley Outdoors.
Go to www.ashleyoutdoors.com

The "no gunsmithing" mounts from B-Square for these and most other rifles are junk, so avoid them.

Destructo6

I snapped up a No4 Mk II for $99. The bolt head is a 1 and the bore is pretty good. The shop from where I purchased it had no gauge for this rifle, so their Enfield enthusiast used a .303 cartridge, test fit into the muzzle, to check the barrel. I don't know how useful this method is, but my rifle is pretty accurate. Springfield Sporters carries a lot of parts for these things, including new No1 barrels for $25. In summation, I got a lot more rifle for the $99 than I thought I could.

Cat

It is a No. 1 Mark III*. It's down to just under $60. I'm getting it.
I understand this model was issued well into WW II, being replaced by the later No. 4 Marks. It's just too nice of an old rifle to let go. What kind of 100 yard accuracy can I expect?
Cat

James K

Member In Memoriam
IF you luck out, you might get 2-3" groups. If you get less, the angels are really on your side. Unfortunately, most of those that saw use have shot out barrels, but many have been rebarrelled. New barrels are available if needed. For that price, just having a serviceable rifle is OK.

Cat

Thank you to all who responded. I picked it up tonight along with some Rem-UMC 174 gr. ball ammo. If it's not raining tomorrow I will try it after work. Lots of nostalgia in this old rifle.
Cat

Daryl Waldron

I dont think you can go wrong with a SMLE. But I do love history. Aim has Mark 1 NoIII* for 59.95. I got one and was very pleased. You do need an ffl or an c&rffl to order one.
http://members.aol.com/aimsurplus/guns.htm

TOUJOURS PRET

Cat

Well I didn't go crazy as I was pressed for time. Only fired 20 rounds of Rem-UMC 174 gr fmj.
First checked it at 25 yds. to make sure I would hit the target. 3 rds. in 3" offhand, about 1" high and 2" right.
Went to the 100 yd. benches and set her on sand bags. first 2 rds went over the top of the target with a center hold. Went to a 6 o'clock hold and fired 3 more rds. They were about 8" high and 3" left. But the three shots went into a 2" group. I fired the rest of the box at the 24" steel plate off hand. No misses.
I can work the sights a bit so I am extremely happy with this fine old rifle. I don't understand their serial number system, but this one matches on all its parts and it is only 3 numbers.
Cat

Cat

I changed the front sight blade and it shots on at 100 yards now. The replacement measured .325" from the bottom of the base to the top of the blade. What a nice rifle to shoot!
Cat

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you want to know how the Brits made the SMLE sit up and talk fast, try this
(assuming you are right handed):

With left hand on foreend, press the butt firmly into the shoulder. Grasp the bolt knob between right index finger and thumb. Stick middle finger out toward rifle. Work bolt rapidly, aim, and press trigger with middle finger. Repeat. You can empty a magazine in less than 10 seconds with practice, and with fair accuracy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Doesn't work worth a darn with a Carcano, as bolt doesn't have same relationship to trigger. Still, I have tried 3 shots in 7 seconds with a M-C and done it. Three and a half seconds is time to work a bolt and aim, with a little practice and a good M-C.

Edmund Rowe

Um...you all know that Oswald was supposedly left-handed?

Ayoob did an article a while back which suggested this was one reason he shot so fast:

Pulled trigger with left hand and threw bolt with right hand while resting rifle on stacked boxes.

SMLE info: My 1917 stamped SMLE #1 Mark III has a pretty rough looking bore, but it stills shoots fairly well. These things are IMHO the best bargain in surplus rifles, though I prefer a #4 model myself.

Edmund