SMLE No 4 MK1 vs MK2 stock?

WeedWacker

I'm finally getting down to finishing some of my restoration on a couple rifles and one of them happens to be a mystery No 4. I haven't taken the time to take it down yet to see if it's a 1 or 2 and I may not have time for a few days and I figured this would be faster.

From all indications and what I have seen I can't find a comparable difference between the two stocks. And since the Mk I was made into the Mk I/II I'm assuming (probably a bad thing to do) it was just the pinned trigger was added, but not change int he stock design. Am I thinking too much on this? Should I just get the hand guard parts I need and not worry about it?

Pic:
cimg0290x.jpg

madcratebuilder

The fore-ends are different between the MkI and MkII. On the MkI the back has a solid piece of wood across it and the tie plate is riveted. The trigger is hung from the trigger guard.

The MkII fore-end has a cut out on the back of the fore-end to clear the trigger that is hung from the receiver. The tie plate uses a screw and nut.

The MkII fore-end well drop on either MkI or MkII rifle. The MkI fore-end well need modification to fit a MkII receiver.

Last edited:

wogpotter

Your picture shows a Mk1 stock. You can tell by looking at the sheet metal "D"-shaped reinforces just in front of the receiver band. A Mk2 stock will have a small bolt there instead of the rivets & sheet metal shown. Its possible (but very unlikely) that someone put a Mk1 forend on a Mk2 rifle by sawing the middle out of the metal so it would fit round the hanger for the trigger, but its far more likely that you have a Mk1 forend on a Mk1 rifle.

WeedWacker

A few more questions I guess.

1: is there any cosmetic difference between the mk 1, 1*, 1/2, and 1/3 stocks?

2: where can I find Mk 1 stocks? I find Mk 2's no problem, but 1's seem to be out of my reach for some reason. Nothing on the Numrich website.

Looks like parts 35-37 and 41-46 on this schematic are what I need, right?

madcratebuilder

is there any cosmetic difference between the mk 1, 1*, 1/2, and 1/3 stocks?

No.

Looks like parts 35-37 and 41-46 on this schematic are what I need, right?

Yes, those are the parts needed along with a fore-end to return the rifle to original configuration.

Watch evil bay for a MkI fore-end, may even come with the hand guards.

wogpotter

There are 2 stock types.
One is for the Mk1 & Mk1* it has the solid rear end & the sheet reinforce, just like the one you have posted pics of.
The other is for the Mk2, Mk 1/2 & Mk 1/3 & has the split rear end & the bolt. The Mk 1/2 & Mk 1/3 are Mk 1 & Mk 1* upgraded to a Mk 2 specification so they need the Mk2 type of stock.