SMLE Enfield Sight?

RedneckFur

After shooting the No1 Mk3 enfield a couple of times, i've figured out I really dont like the standard sight much. I dont want to put a scope on it, but I'd love to put another sight.. perhaps a peep type sight, if one's available.

When looking through the factory rear notch, i can barely see the front blade.. and lining them up on the target is a time conusming process for me.

If there is no aftermarket sight, Is it possible to use a triangle file and open the factory notch up a little, and adjust the rear sight to compensate for it being bigger?

I've looked around for aftermarket or replacement rear sights, but havent had any luck finding anything.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I was sure Lyman used to make the 57 for the SMLE, but I don't see it listed in the current Brownells catalog. It should be no problem to fit one. Try asking them; www.brownells.com has their phone number/e-mail address.

If you go the peep sight route, make sure you get one with the release button, as you have to take off the horizontal bar to remove the bolt and you don't want to mess up the setting. Another approach might be to mount one of those low peep sights on the clip guide, although that is a bit further from the eye than desireable.

Jim