Smith & Wesson XVR light primer strike

1972RedNeck

Out shooting my new to me XVR 460 and I had a light primer strike that didn't go off. Second try on that round it went BOOM just like it should. Has only happened the once. Was shooting single action.

What do I need to do to make sure it doesn't happen again? Just a longer firing pin? TK Customs as good as any?

Recycled bullet

Seat the primer so that it is all the way bottomed out in the primer pocket.

There's a possible failure mode where a primer is not installed deep enough and the first strike seats it, the second strike ignites it.

Last edited:

1972RedNeck

There's a possible failure mode where a primer is not installed deep enough and the first strike seats it, the second strike ignites it.

Good to know. This was on factory ammo - haven't had it happen on a hand load yet. Think they goofed one at the factory?

Recycled bullet

Factory defects are certainly possible. It's the reason I quit shooting factory 9mm ammunition back in 2015. I had Winchester white box accuracy problems and telescoping ammunition I'm glad I did not have a gun pop.

If you want to explore an intellectual exercise in quality controls get your calipers and start measuring the overall length out of a single box of hunting ammunition then disassemble the ammunition and look at the variations in powder charge mass.

I'm making the assumption your gun is mechanically sound AKA you do not have a bent crane or excessive cylinder end play or deformed firing pin bushing, cylinder timing or bent/ mishaped bolt and notch or trash stuck around your firing pin.

Recycled bullet

I shot a 5 in 460 Smith & Wesson 5 times and the fireballs were certainly glorious the muzzle blast was like an earthquake. I was smiling like I had something wrong with me [emoji16] I think It was shooting Hornady 200 grain hunting ammunition but that was years ago and I am not entirely sure. It was another shooters gun he asked me if I wanted to shoot it and I could not say no.

What are you shooting through yours?

1972RedNeck

I shot a 5 in 460 Smith & Wesson 5 times and the fireballs were certainly glorious the muzzle blast was like an earthquake. I was smiling like I had something wrong with me I think It was shooting Hornady 200 grain hunting ammunition but that was years ago and I am not entirely sure. It was another shooters gun he asked me if I wanted to shoot it and I could not say no.

What are you shooting through yours?

Mostly 325 gr cast from HSM. Supposedly 1800+ FPS. I've never considered myself a recoil junkie as I hate hard kicking rifles but I just can't get enough of full house rounds through this 460. Starting to get a little bit expensive...

Factory defects are certainly possible. It's the reason I quit shooting factory 9mm ammunition back in 2015. I had Winchester white box accuracy problems and telescoping ammunition I'm glad I did not have a gun pop.

If you want to explore an intellectual exercise in quality controls get your calipers and start measuring the overall length out of a single box of hunting ammunition then disassemble the ammunition and look at the variations in powder charge mass.

I'm making the assumption your gun is mechanically sound AKA you do not have a bent crane or excessive cylinder end play or deformed firing pin bushing, cylinder timing or bent/ mishaped bolt and notch or trash stuck around your firing pin.

Revolver is clean and lubed and appears to be in good working order to my untrained eye. When I got the light primer strike, I let it sit a little bit, and then opened the cylinder to see. There was just the faintest indentation from the firing pin, but it was in the center of the primer like it should be.

All of my spent casings have nice deep indentations in the primer like they should have. haven't seen any shallow ones.

Just chalk it up to a bad load then?

DaleA

All of my spent casings have nice deep indentations in the primer like they should have.

This would indicate the gun is working correctly...it just might be possible that the round that misfired wasn't seated ALL the way in the chamber. Some speck of crud might have hung up the cartridge just a bit. Not too much or the cylinder wouldn't have closed but just enough so that when the hammer fell the whole cartridge moved forward just a bit. It would be very similar to the situation Recycled Bullet mentioned where the primer wasn't seated properly.

Stand by for folk more knowledgeable about revolvers to step in and provide other opinions.

P.S. The price of .460 S&W magnum rounds is a DEFINITE prod to start reloading.

Good luck.

44 AMP

Staff
ONE "light strike" out of how many times you've shot the gun????

Something that only happens ONCE is most often the ammo, not the gun. Gun issues tend to repeat themselves, though not always in a consistent recognizable pattern, at first.

Things to look for are, ...

does it happen again? does it happen "every so often"?? does it happen with every round? Every chamber? or just with one chamber in the cylinder? Only with one brand/load of ammo? Things like that indicate a possible gun issue. ONE round of factory ammo, doing something out of the ordinary could just be a fluke. They do happen, here and there, still today....

Don't go wasting money (and possibly voiding a warranty) by throwing in aftermarket parts until you know, with certainty, that there IS a problem with the gun, and exactly what that problem is.

rodfac

Don't know that particular Smith....but.....most Smith revolvers have a mainspring strain (tension) screw imbedded in the front grip strap that must be kept tight. Backed out by 1/2 turn on my M67 will result in light strikes, but usually only in DA mode of fire. Shortening that screw with some file work, or backing it out in hopes of a lighter DA trigger is often the cause of light strikes. Best regards, Rod

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Not sure about today, but in the old days gunsmiths loved it when "Self tuners" messed with the strain screw. They got a lot of business and often some credit for "fixing" the gun when often all that was needed was to proper adjust or at worst replace one screw.

Strain screws are set at the factory, and don't need to be messed with. In this case, we're talking about a SINGLE "light strike" with the round firing on the second hit. At this point there is no reason and no sense altering the gun in any way, in my opinion.

IF and only if the gun develops a pattern of doing it does it need to be worked on.

1972RedNeck

Finally got my order of brass that's been back ordered for several months and had a rainy day to get a couple batches loaded.

Shot way too many rounds for my checkbook this afternoon but think I may have found the problem. I get the light primer strike ever 1 in 20 to 30 rounds. When it does misfire, it's always in the same chamber. Once I noticed this, I got to looking at the cylinder and it has at least .003" of runout on the back. In other words, the cylinder gets closer and farther from the frame as I rotate it. The chamber that gets the light strike is the one that is furthest from the frame.

I think I found the problem, but how do I correct it? New cylinder? Send it back to S&W? Aftermarket?

The other thing I have noticed after marking the cylinder is that the brass is always stuck in one chamber. The ones on each side are a little "sticky", and the other two always fall out. Still happens when all the cylinders are squeaky clean.

So what do I have? A cylinder of poor quality?

Sevens

I think there is NO QUESTION that you need to contact S&W and have them fix this. I'd detail specifically what you're seeing and the skeptic in me would find some obscure place to mark that cylinder to see if the same cylinder is returned to you.

I'd be less than happy if S&W tried to make that cylinder work, I say you need a new one.

My 460XVR 8-3/8" was built in late 2009 and has 696 shots through it. It's been a fine revolver. The first 80 rounds were Hornady 200gr and everything since that time has been my handloads, 240gr Hornady XTP-Mag over a full dose of W-296. It hangs very close to 2,000 fps at the muzzle.

44 AMP

Staff
So what do I have? A cylinder of poor quality?

I would be confident that the cylinder steel is fine quality.

However it seems that the machining is sub par. This is ABSOLUTELY something the factory needs to know about, and fix.

Call S&W and explain what you've got, work with them and go from there.

Remember all problems like this are actually two problems, one is what is in your hands, and the other is in the factory, that let it happen, and let it go out the door that way.

Nobody can fix a problem they don't know about.

Two sticky chambers AND a .003 runout error at the back? You're going to ger a new cylinder. Possibly a couple other parts, too....

Good Luck, let us know how this gets resolved.