Smith & Wesson Performance Center 627

don leo

Dear Readers,
Last year I bought probably the best revolver/.357 magnum I've ever owned, a Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 627. It's an N-frame stainless gun with an 8-shot fluted cylinder. The most interesting feature is the 5-inch slabbed and tapered barrel. The revolver is also designed for use with 8-shot full moon clips. With the additional capacity, the gun shoots fast and slick.
Has anyone else out there had good experiences with this gun. I'm infatuated with this gun and I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible.

The N frame is the best 357 Magnum platform ever made and the 627 PC is the pinnacle of that model designation. The balance and accuracy of this gun has no rival. Enjoy these 627PC's so much, I will be ordering a second 627PC V comp in February of next year. These guns make for excellent deer hunting pistols for the seasoned hunter.

Robert

mike4

just paid for one today. $1200.00 pasos .comes with a rosewood and a houge synthetic grip. holster and a nice box. seen it on lipsey's site. i hope it's everything you guys say because this is the first revolver i ever bought without handling first. it was too much for me to pass up visually. it might be nicer than my python. well maybe not but i'm sure it fires better. ity's biult to out shoot a python over the long haul , i'm told. i guess the fact that it's a pc special is gonna make up for not ever seeing one or handling one in person. if i don't like it i'm sure selling it won't be so difficult. i doubt i'll ever let it go though. the 5" tapered bbl made me think i wish it was a 4 or 3 " but i forgot it's a target gun and 3 or 4" bbl's are not favored in that catagorie. i'm excited. whats this stuff about 1/2 moon clips??? i gotta research this gun cause i don't know much about it and it will be here in 48 hours.

Bond007

I've got a 327 2" and after shooting it really want the 627. The trigger on the 327 is amazing. I find the N-frame the only grip big enough for me to handle well and it manages the magnum recoil extremely well.

Congrats to everyone on their 627s. I can't wait to get one.

Elvishead

I'm getting a 627 V-comp, hopefully soon. Got the money, but they do limited runs, so you have to usually wait to get one.

Got a S&W 327 Scandium aluminum 8 shot .357 M&P. Great shooter.

Love eight shots of .357. People are always coming over at the range "what the heck is that?"

Stainz

I traded away a LNIB Heritage 24 for my JM PC627 V-Comp a few years back - great deal, I thought, for me. It is my favorite .38/.357M revolver, for sure. I had wanted the tapered lug/slab-sided model, but this deal came about - and I really love this gun. No, at my levels, I see no need for the comp... it does 'look' neat, however - and - it gives me something else to clean!

BTW, moonclips are troublesome - only a few .357M case brands fit easily - and you need to test the 'clipped load in the cylinder long before you 'need' it. 90+% of the time, I just load it without clips. The Brownell nutdriver-style demooner works quite well. Of course, having owned/used moonclipped 625s for years, I have been spoiled. My loads are 125 & 158 gr Berrys FP/RN, 125gr Zero JHPs, and 158gr LSWCs in .357M mixed brass, WSP primers, and enough Titegroup to run 800-900 fps - mine should outlast me by a bit - no real Magnums here! This is the 'ultimate' plinker - and what a trigger!

IMG_0282_edited.jpg

Stainz

NCHornet

The original post was from 1999, man somebody went digging, I didn't even think you could go back that far. Back on topic, the majority of what I have seen from the PC has been very, very nice.
NCH