Smith & Wesson model 624

Viper99

Hello all,
My local FFL has a stainless 624 .44 special that looks interesting but I don't know anything about this model. Anyone here has one?

The one at my FFL looks in very good condition 4" barrel for $579 and I am sure I can bring it down.

Regards.

Sevens

Big book say only made from 1984 to 1990, these are somewhat rare and frankly... I say that price is a bit of a shocker. If you SAW it, with that price, and it's not wrecked, beaten or non-functional, seems to me that you should have brought it home.

Get back there before the next wheelgunner spots it.

Post pictures here ASAP.

then GLOAT! :eek::D

FlyFish

I have one with the 6-1/2" barrel that I use for target work and it's great fun to shoot. At $579 (or less? really?) I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. Pretty much any N-frame in working order is worth that and more these days.

There was a reported problem with some 624s in a particular serial number range that was, depending on who you believe, either (a) incorrect type of steel used for the cylinder, or, (b) some cylinders being inadvertently bored to accept .44 Magnum cartridges. S&W CS will tell you if the gun falls into that range if you give them the SN, at which point (apparently believing (a) to be the problem) they will ask you to return it so they can Magnaflux the cylinder to look for flaws. Supposedly only one gun has ever failed the test, but if it does they can't fix it because there are no longer parts (cylinders) available. On the other hand, if (b) is the real problem, and it appears that no less an authority than Roy Jinks says that it is, you don't need Magnaflux to figure that one out.

My 624 happened to be in the "problem" range and I spent a good bit of time using the search function over on the S&W Forum reading up on things and eventually decided to not send it back to the mothership - it had been shot plenty before I bought it and I only ever plan to shoot target loads with it, so I didn't want to take the chance that they'd decide to keep the gun and offer me one of their current models as a replacement. There's not much coming out of Springfield these days that I have interest in owning.

Viper99

That's happens when you don't know anything about a particular gun. On the bright side, I call my buddy on the FFL and told him to put it on the side for me. Heading over there now to take some pics and deposit on it.

Will post pictures later.

Regards

Viper99

Here are some pictures if I can load this things.

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_153431_6177.jpg
    IMG_20141113_153431_6177.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20141113_153445_18777.jpg
    IMG_20141113_153445_18777.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20141113_153507_4166.jpg
    IMG_20141113_153507_4166.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 99

Viper99

And another one. Pictures were re-size twice to make them fit Tell me what you think after seeing the pictures.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_153457_6200.jpg
    IMG_20141113_153457_6200.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 112

SIGSHR

I recall Skeeter Skleton writing that some of the early M624s had accuracy problems, IIRC oversized throats, similar to the first Virginian Dragoons.

Duke City Six

Wow,
A four-incher with smooth target grips. I would be all over that in a second, though I am aware of the recall and that would concern me a little.

What's up with the gold rear sight?

Last edited:

subhuman

the last 624 I had in my hands was $875 so if that gun is below $600 I would jump on it with both feet, if you change your mind let me know

Viper99

Okay guys, now I am worry about the recall. What is the range for the recall? I don't have the serial number yet. If it turns out to be one, what are the options?

By the way, the deal is now $550.00 out the door and I have a deposit on it.

FlyFish

At that price, I'd buy the gun and worry about the recall later, or more likely not worry about the recall at all. There's so much conflicting information out there on the 624 recall it makes my head hurt. As I alluded to in an earlier post, it either has something to do with bad steel or maybe that some cylinders got bored for .44 Mag instead of .44 Special. And maybe only one gun out of the hundreds sent back for testing failed the test, or maybe none did. And S&W apparently indicates a gun has been tested, and passed, by stamping a letter "C" on the box (on the box? really?) or they do something else (unspecified). If it was really something to be concerned about I have to believe the situation would be very clear, as is the case for the 586/686 recall.

After spending a few days reading everything I could about the recall with regard to my 624, I just threw up my hands and decided I'd shoot the gun and enjoy it, and that's what I do.

If you decide not to buy it, please PM me the name of the shop and I'll buy it. Or, if you want to make a quick couple hundred bucks, buy it at $550 and PM me.

Ozzieman

If you have the box look for a Red C this will indicate that the gun had been returned.
What I do remember when I sent mine back which was in the SN range was that 500 total guns were shipped and the problem had to do with the cylinder hardness. Mine passed
I am trying to find the serial number list which mine was on but right now I cant find it. You should contact S&W but one thing to remember. If you send your gun in and it fails hardness you will never see the gun again since they don't make cylinders for the gun anymore.
P>S
The following I found in my notes and I cant remember where I got it but I do remember that I used it to check mine and after contacting S&W did send it back. Mine was OK.

According to Skelton's ST article (10/85), here are the recall SN ranges for the Model 624 recall:
ADXXXX
AEXXXX
AFXXXX
AGXXXX
AHXXXX
ALVXXX (the “V” is not a typo)
N910000 thru N953000[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Viper99

"You should contact S&W but one thing to remember. If you send your gun in and it fai

"You should contact S&W but one thing to remember. If you send your gun in and it fails hardness you will never see the gun again since they don't make cylinders for the gun anymore."

So if they don't send your gun back, what do you get? Not sure how this works.

I'd change the rear sight out, but for the price you paid, that's a pittance.

Seriously, $579? Wow. I've been waiting for one of those to cross my path for years.

I am consumed by steamy, raging jealousy. :p

Viper99

Tom Servo,
I actually worked it down to $550 out the door.

But what's with the golden rear sight? Is this normal on these guns?