Smith & Wesson model 15-3 38 spcl?

Taxidermist

I just bought a S&W model 15-3 38 special , 2 inch barrel today, original grips. I bought it for my new carry weapon "I live in the country" so I don't need 10 or more shots and I like revolvers. Anyway in the sticks guns sometimes get expensive so I was wondering what a fair price should be? I paid $200.00 for it. It's in good shape, not new but good. If you have any opinions on them please feel free to blast away. I'm in my 50's and it's the first Smith I ever bought. The only thing, just going by the feel, I don't like the grips but I assume there are better grips on the market.

Oh yeah if I decide to get better grips What are they called ..... K frame?
Thanks for any input you may have good or bad.

John

Rimrod

Used S&Ws are non-existant around here. Prices when you do find one are usually running a little more than $200 for any model.

My opinion is they are a great gun, you shouldn't have waited so long.

The frame is a "K" but they were made in both round and square butt configurations which you will need to know when ordering grips.

To me a 2" model 15 with a square butt is one of the best range pistols ever made. And wether yours is round or square it will serve you well.

Taxidermist

Thanks Rimrod:
Yes it is the square butt. I had to google it to find out. LOL... I have only dry fired it but I like the feel of the trigger. after 35 years of off brand "so to speak" guns I'm used to, the trigger was very noticeably nice as soon as I tested it. I'm looking forward to shooting it hopefully tomorrow. I reload so I can spend a few hours throwing some lead around. The gun is actually heavier than I was expecting but a pleasant surprise.
Thanks again.

John

Tom2

Grips for concealment are one thing, but for pure shooting pleasure my K frames get the Uncle Mikes grips. May only be able to find them on ebay now or used. You did well for 200 if it is in decent shape. I remember alot of K frame blued 38's were going for about 150 ten years ago, so I could just about buy any one that struck my fancy, but how about twice that now? At least. If it is good it is a bargain. Real hot rounds might sometimes be a pain to shoot with the short barrel but standard ammo is a dream and you can trim the sight setting to whatever load you like. Probably will print small groups with good ammo, if you can accomodate the short sight radius. Much better than fixed snubby sights for accuracy potential. I had one for awhile and sold it to someone who needed a house gun. He may still have it.

Taxidermist

If I can do it here are a couple pictures, but I'm not good with a camera.

SW15-3.jpg

<br>
Smith38.jpg

<br>
Smith_15-3_38.jpg

Attachments

• Sw15-3.JPG
    Sw15-3.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Smith38.JPG
    Smith38.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Smith_15-3_38.jpg
    Smith_15-3_38.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 36

Rimrod

Before you buy anything try to find some you can feel on your gun, or at least on another gun. Hands come in all shapes and sizes, I like the grips you have for shooting at the range and use a different type for carry guns. I've spent many times the money you spent for your gun looking for the right grips.

Slamfire

I love the feel and balance of the K frame Smiths. However I have always hated the stock wooden grips that came stock with those pistols.

I do not have a 2" K frame, but I have a 4" M10 and a M66, all of these are K frame revolvers. On the 357 I like my Pachmyr gripper grips, and on the M10, I am using a set of Clamshell Pachmyr grips. The gripper grips are better if you are recoil sensitive, something that does effect me.

reducedM66-2leftsideDSCN5035.jpg

CU74

I'd say $200 for a good Model 15-3 is a great price. I paid a good bit more than that for my Model 15, and it doesn't look any better than the pictures of yours.

Last edited:

BillCA

Tamara said:
In today's hothouse price scene, paying $200 for a pinned barrel 15 is bordering on theft.

M15M07.jpg

I have to agree with Tamara. I paid considerably more for this 2" Model 15 and it's a sweet little piece. If it had been priced at $200 I would have had to fight four others to buy it.

Tom2

Don't toss out the factory grips. They are not overly valuable but if in good shape save them with the gun. You might get a deal on another Smith some day and need a set of grips for it or get one with busted grips and put those on to make a sale. Not a bad idea to get the feel of different grips at a gunshop before commiting. Especially finger grooved types. They might not line up just right with your fingers, as they are for average hands. Don't force your hand to fit the grips, as you will eventually get sick of it and it will be a constant annoyance. Get some that fit perfectly and you will be very happy! Consider rubber grips that cover the backstrap if you want to shoot alot of hot or +P ammo in it. Or exotic wood to make it a sexy gun. Have the option to return them as sometimes due to mfr variations of the frame, some wood grips fit sloppy or poorly on a given gun.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Those factory stocks plus a Tyler T-grip would not only be comfortable, but you'd definitely be kickin' it old skool.

Daniel BOON

serial ## grips?

are the grips serial numbered to the 'smith?
I have some auto's but reach for my 'smith mdl 25 when I'm out in the desert, my grandson carries my pinned mdl 15. he is getting pretty good with it.