Smith & Wesson metal framed autos

teejhot.40cal

I have to say I miss the smith 39s and other metal framed autos. Not anything against the m&p but I think that the American series were under rated. My dad has a 39 and I love that weapon. I learned to shoot with it and, to this day, shoot it better then my glock or sig. I know they were heavy but they were absolutely beautiful and have a super quick trigger reset. Plus they always seemed reliable enough. Does anyone know why they fell by the way side.

Dragline45

It really is a shame S&W dropped their line of 3rd Gen autos, just one of many bad business decisions S&W has made over the years.

Does anyone know why they fell by the way side.

The current trend for the past 15 years or so has geared more towards striker fired pistols, especially in polymer, and DA/SA autos are losing favor. Ruger also dropped their line of DA/SA autos not too long ago too.

Wreck-n-Crew

Cost of manufacturing could not compete with polymer...just that simple. Actually they sit around too long before making a "real" polymer if you ask me. But the second and third gen Smith's are my favorites. The 5906 and 4506 especially.

Sig stuck to it and I have to hand it to them while H&K perfected the Polymer pistol. I just don't think S&W could afford to do the same without investing further into their metal frame line and for a niche' market as it turns out.

Beretta got the contract from Uncle Sam too....that had an impact. If you ask me they did the right thing but way later than they should have.

Sevens

There are many of us here passionate about the Smith & Wesson metal framed first, second and third generation pistols. It's okay if you want to be sad that they are no longer made, but to remain sad in that way is such a pity -- you simply must know that there are so many of them that were made that you're cheating yourself immensely if you merely look back in fond memory of them. What you should be doing is shopping for some of them! :D

I have six of them.
And you should start with the Model 39-2.
Why? Because it truly is all that you said it is... and more. It's extremely well made, a royal hoot to shoot and it is also very much historically significant. And here's the SPECIAL BONUS! Not unlike the Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver... when they do something right, everybody wants one, so they make MANY of them. That means they are neither scarce nor are they irrationally expensive.

Do folks realize that they made over three hundred forty seven thousand of these great pistols? Yeah. That's just the Model 39. There are dozens of other variations.

I got mine at a show just this spring. It's just one scuff on the MSH from being just about mint condition. No box and no original wood stocks, I had no hassle bringing it home for $400. It's a fantastic specimen and a fine example, mine was produced in 1977.

So yes, many of us miss these terrific pistols also.
But you make it sound like they have been erased from history. They have -NOT-, so put together a shopping list! :D With that -- we can totally help! ;)

Sevens

Does anyone know why they fell by the way side.
The era of the polymer service/duty/carry pistol may have made the eventual demise of Smith & Wesson's 3rd Gen pistols imminent, but it did not cause that to happen.

If anything, the almost irrational wave of popularity experienced by the 1911 platform simply forced Smith & Wesson to join the piles of other gun makers who had to build some manner of a 1911 to grab a piece of the sales market. We have very recently lived through a time where ANYTHING that was a 1911 was a nearly guaranteed sellable product. Witness the Tisas, the Cimmaron, that horrendous Iver Johnson "Zombie" 1911...! :eek:

Smith & Wesson had to tool up and make 1911 pistols. With a full plate of polymer fantastics and then a new line of 1911 pistols... it kind of made manufacturing sense to shut down the production of the 3rd Gen pistols. DA/SA guns were all the rage between 1985 and the early 1990s, but they are way, way down the list today where the striker-fire polymer and the 1911 reign supreme.

teejhot.40cal

Oh I definitely have a shopping list. I'm looking at a 4566 with the rail and my dream s&w auto is a 4040. I want a 3913, 4013 and a 4513. How is that for a shopping list :D. They are just beautiful and I am so elated they haven't been forgotten about. BRING THEM BACK SMITH & WESSON!

Sevens

That definitely sounds like your shopping list! :p
Mine is (was?!) a little more "old school cool."

Take a gander at a Smith & Wesson 745 for a kick.
BEWARE! Only around 5,000 of these made. Only roughly 4,999 left because I'm not ever selling MINE! <evil cackling>

teejhot.40cal

Yea it's a little newer then the 745. Don't get me wrong I love those oldies and would pick one up in a heartbeat if I get the chance.

dsk

Keep an eye out for one of the "value line" 3rd gen Smiths, the 915 9mm or 411 .40, or the slightly more economical 910 and 410. Despite being no frills they all work just as well as the more expensive models, have great DA triggers, and can often be found for less than $300. I paid $265 for a slightly used 915 a couple of years ago and it's one of the best bargains I ever came across.

teejhot.40cal

Sccy 9mm

I did see a 411 with a crekote that was nice on gunbroker but I have a glock and sig already for that niche. I feel like I should of tried anyways

Last edited:

jmr40

It really is a shame S&W dropped their line of 3rd Gen autos, just one of many bad business decisions S&W has made over the years.

Pretty smart business decision I think. Companies can't stay in business making stuff no one wants to buy. While they were some very good guns there simply isn't enough market demand for them. Plenty of used guns for those who want one.

SauerGrapes

The only LE I know of that still uses them is the CHP from what I understand. {4006}
Love the 3 I have, carry 2 of them all the time.

KSDeputy

Smith & Wesson metal framed pistols

I was trained on DA/SA pistols. I carry a CS45 I bought new, I have a new 4513TSW by the bed. I have my duty carry gun, a 4506 with only 50 rounds through it, in the safe. I do not understand why all pistols are now DA only? I don't much want one. I also have three Walthers.

hammie

One thing which hasn't been mentioned so far, is that some shooters (myself included), like the feel and handling of the slimmer gripped, single stacked, 39's, 439's, 539's, etc.

On a slight downside, I have heard reports of the un-locking lugs on the side of the frame, fatiguing and shearing off on the aluminum framed 39's and 59 series. I can remember actual endurance test articles and photos of this happening at around 8,000 to 10,000 rounds.

Last edited:

WVsig

Gen 3 S&Ws were the Glocks of their day IMHO. They dominate the LEO market after the revolver. The cheap Glock contracts and buy back refresh programs really killed them as people moved toward poly for duty guns.

One thing which I did not see mentioned was the short reset of the DA/SA trigger on S&W Gen 3s. They are much shorter than most other DA/SA guns IMHO. I also second the fact the the slim grips of the single stacks make them extremely nice handling guns. I currently only have one left but it is well loved.

Sevens

There is no way to prove such an assertion and the folks who do this for a living have ventured otherwise and never turned back.

I love them also and I'm not done buying them but c'mon.

ThomasT

WVsig the short reset was mentioned in the first post. Nice gun. what is it?

I have a 39-2 that was given to me along with the first box of ammo with 18 rounds left in the box. A couple of years ago I bought a Detective Special and a 915 for $500. I sold the dick special for $465 on GB so I guess I have 35 bucks in the 915. It came with three factory mags, a mag pouch made from leather and an Uncle Mikes duty holster. The holster is for a lefty so it does me no good. The gun has also had a trigger job and is much smoother that the trigger on the model 39.

I wish someone would post a list of the metal framed S&W pistols. I would like to own a couple more of them.

Dragline45

There is no way to prove such an assertion and the folks who do this for a living have ventured otherwise and never turned back.

Sure there is, even over a decade after they were discontinued people still rave about them on gun forums across the net and are extremely desirable, hence the thread we are in right now. Whenever they show up used in the shops around here they don't sit for very long. I would hardly call that a product no one wants to buy which was the comment I was responding to. As far as S&W venturing otherwise and not turning back, S&W has been known to make horrible business decisions, I don't hold much weight to that. With the abundance of plastic framed autos, for those who seek an all steel or all metal gun, the 3rd gen autos are a great affordable option.

Vet66

I've had this model 5967 for many years, still have not got around to fire it...new in box but, someday I will.

Attachments

• S&W 5967.jpg
    S&W 5967.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 24