Smith & Wesson M&P Review

jeager106

I enjoy my M&P .40 & 9mm, never had a failure of anykind with either.
I also have the M&P Shield in .40 and while it doesn't get fired as much as my full size M&PS it's never failed in any way.
The Shield is a very slim, small, light, pistol for a .40 caliber but I have no trouble controling the little beastie in rapid fire.
My reasons for the M&P 9mm is that my 12 year old wanted a 9mm since he has a 9mm R.I.A. full size 1911 in 9mm & enjoys shooting that one & 9mm ammo is coming down in price.
Wally has ZQ 9mm for just over $12 bucks/50 rnds of hardball 123 grain loaded to NATO specs (they say). That's getting closer to pre-panic prices but has a ways to go yet. I remember paying $8.99/50 for Federal 9mm about 3 years ago.
The ZQ is boxer primed, brass, reloadable.
I'll post some sort of range report on the ZQ in the RIA & M&P 9mm if y'all want.

TunnelRat

Good writing.

A couple of notes. The triggers on the newer M&Ps are actually a lot better. The reset it much more positive and tactile, as is the break. I've determined the grittiness of the trigger actually comes from the striker block. On the factory part it is essentially a small cylinder with defined edges. The grittiness is the trigger bar riding over this edge. The APEX part is radiused at the edges and this removes the grittiness. At the same time, however, it does remove some of the crispness of the reset. And one minor note, but the new M&Ps don't use true Novak style sights anymore. They are stepped so that the rear sight can be used to rack the slide if need be (and those metal sights are a nice plus compared to stock Glock sights when doing one handed drills).

Uncle Malice

Awesome write up. I had the M&P 40 for a while, but I don't have any .40 guns any longer. If I were going to get one again it will probably be the M&P or the USP.

I had the M&P 9 Pro (4.25") for a while and really liked it. I sold it a few months back to pay for something else and have regretted it since. I think I'll pick up a standard M&P and add the Apex FSS kit to it. Maybe it makes sense to go with the 40. I've heard the M&P 40's convert to 9 quite reliably.

At any rate, I do currently have the M&P 45 midsize and I love it. I had the fullsize and compact in the past and sold both. I didn't like the look or feel of the long slide on the fullsize and I didn't like the grip on the compact. The midsize is perfection. It's very similar to the M&P 9/40 fullsize, it just has front serrations. I have the Apex DCAEK in mine and it's excellent. The factory trigger wasn't gritty or bad, it was just extremely heavy... like 9.5lbs. The Apex kit brought it down around 5lbs and even more crisp. It does have a bit of over-travel so I have ordered the Apex trigger to drop in which is supposed to reduce that. Once I have it installed and run it through it's paces, I'll post up a review on that one as well. It's really a shame the M&P 45 midsize seems pretty rare. It's very nice. It's good size for concealment and it's 10rd capacity doesn't both me because of it's size like the HK45 does. That gun could easily be a 12/13rd gun with it's mile long grip.

I do wish Apex made the RAM for the 45 guns. The reset on this one is non-existent. It doesn't slow it down much because I've shot the P30 with LEM trigger quite a bit. It's not a big deal though - to me.

My Gen4 G21 is probably my favorite 45 overall, but for carry, the M&P 45 midsize is my favorite for a carry 45.

elxNllv.jpg

I1EU4uK.jpg

yMjS3ik.jpg

TunnelRat

I do wish Apex made the RAM for the 45 guns. The reset on this one is non-existent. It doesn't slow it down much because I've shot the P30 with LEM trigger quite a bit. It's not a big deal though - to me.

The RAM doesn't work on a lot of the newer guns, even 9mm and 40SW, because of the changes in the sear housing.

TunnelRat

Lol, well you know. They've basically become S&W's pro shop so I think they're a bit busy. When I installed one on an old M&P I had I really didn't notice much of a difference. The failure remedy it gives you though is pretty clever.

ScotchMan

A midsize .45 is on my radar for a carry gun as well. Now that I am carrying a fullsize gun, all that air in my reduced-capacity magazines is wasted.

skoro

My M&P is a 9c that I've had for over 6 years now. It's a very fine handgun with no apparent weaknesses.

Except that it's not a 1911. ;)

10mm4ever

I tried first the M&P 9 and several years later the M&P 45. While I liked them both I simply cant hit with any other poly frame like I can with the original XD line. It's hard to argue against that.