Smith & Wesson M-60

pipoman

I am going to buy a short barrel revolver for alternate (very occasional) CCW.

My first thought was a 2 1/2" Python or a 2" Detective Special. I am partial to Colt. I like "pretty" guns.

After reading the recent thread about the Python, I am rethinking my Colt idea for CCW.

Does anyone have an opinion of the S&W M-60?

I like the look of a hammer gun over a hammerless.

I may prefer a 6 shot, any recommendations?

High quality, nickel finish, maybe deep relief engraving, .357 or .38 Special, $1000 +/- budget.

If value is likely to increase that would be a plus (this is why I was thinking Colt to begin with).

Thanks

Tacoma

Well you have several choices depending on what your willing to live with in weight and power.
First the mod 60 is a GREAT little revolver. I've owned both the new 357 cal, 23 oz J-Mag framed and the older 19 oz 38 spl flavors. The older 60 with a bobbed hammer and barrimi hip grips is still my favoite carry. IF you like Nickle, there are plenty of mod 36's still around too.
IF you want 6 shots and can tollerate a heavier gun, a nice nickle mod 13/19 or pollished SS 65 or 66 in 2.5" is pretty sweet.

FWIW, you can polish ANY stainless revolver to a chrome like finish with flitz, Mothers mag polish and a few hours of elbow grease.
Dress em up with some custom wood grips and they are nice.

Dfariswheel

Probably the top quality CCW revolvers are the Colt Detective Special, the S&W Model 60, and the S&W Model 65 and 66 Magnum revolvers.

The Detective Special was THE "Gold Standard" carry gun from 1927 through the 1970's.

The S&W Model 60 was preferred by many due to the smaller size and the stainless steel.

The "K" framed S&W revolvers with 2 1/2" to 3" barrels are about as good as it gets in CCW holster guns.

The 2 1/2" Model 66 Combat Magnum is probably the best compromise between size, power, sights, and "shoot-ability" ever made.

The fixed sight Model 65 in a 3" barrel offers the extractor length of a 4" gun in a snubby, and balances better.

You can still find like new Colt Detective Specials, and I'd recommend a later version with the heavy, shrouded barrel.

The S&W guns can still be engraved by S&W if you want, and an engraved stainless steel gun is SOMETHING.

See this current discussion for a good example:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195385

The Detective Special and the Model 60 will be lighter guns, but the "K" framed guns are more effective, have much better sights, better grips, are more "tunable" for good actions, and shoot better.

The down side is: they require a holster due to the weight.

In my case, I carry a rare, limited production S&W Model 66 with a 3" barrel, and have the best of all worlds.

The nearest thing to this is either the standard 66 2 1/2" or the S&W "Lady Smith" or standard Model 65.

Model66Small.jpg

Last edited:

Little Silas

As I've stated in several other threads, I really like my M60. It's with me all of the time.
Also, it is accurate enough to shoot at the range.
I've found it just as accurate as my longer barreled guns. I even plink with it in the woods.
One thing though, I never shoot .357s in it. You have to keep in mind it is a J frame snubbie.

pipoman

Thanks, I am searching the mentioned Smiths.

I am looking at a profusely engraved M60.

Its hard not to like the 66 in the other thread. Yours are nice too.

Any idea how much it would cost to have a 66 engraved maybe 75% either by Smith custom shop or another skilled engraver?

I do like the Detective Special too, does it have the same reliability issues mentioned in the Python thread?

dairycreek

This is what I carry a lot!

162430_thumb.jpg

This is the Mod. 60 with a 3" barrel! Easy to carry concealed and the 3" barrel gives one a better sight radius than the "snubby" without any extra hassle in carrying or extra weight. They will take a variety of ammo and will give solid performance. I do shoot .357 in it regularly and, even though somewhat small, is not really to bad as far as recoil is concerned. FWIW

pipoman

Thanks for the post Grant.

I think it has solidified my decision to buy a Smith this go around.

While I appreciate fine precision engineering and have a spark of nostalgia for Colt, I think I would be less inclined to carry the Colt.

I will own a 2 1/2 or 3" early production NM Python in the not too distant future, I will buy it as an investment/show piece.

Blue Heeler

I'm with dairycreek. M60 in 3in is a wonderful carry gun. Great fun to shoot and a real challenge with full house loads. I wouldn't go a shorter barrel myself. In fact I just prefer a 4in but that means going to an M10 or M66 and the K frame is noticeably bigger.

Oh yes - stick with a sixgun, then whenver you have a revolver in your hand you'll know what time it is. More is only confusing.

Herr trigger

Hi just another advocate of the S&W M60. I have an early pinned bbl. M60 with pimpy pearl grips. I keep it loaded with 125gn JHP ammo as a bedroom gun. When I feel the need to carry it goes with me. This weapon is in my opinion one of the best CC revolvers as far as size,reliability and stopping power, and it looks cool too. If I'm really scared I pack a Sig P220 45ACP.

XavierBreath

The Model 60 is a great little carry gun. I personally prefer a shrouded hammer ala Bodyguard style, but the Model 60 in either .38 or .357 is a great little revolver. I own both types.

SmithWessonModel60s.jpg

I have to question paying $1000 for an engraved gun for carry. If that is your budget, consider this deal from Clark Custom. I've handled and dry fired this one myself, and it is very very sweet. Of course it is 44 magnum......
cgahn2.jpg

Smith &Wesson 629 - $ 995 + shipping
Custom Work:
Meltdown Dehorn, Target Action Job,
Bob Hammer, Rubber Stop on Overtravel screw, Crane Lock, Chamfer Cylinders
Barrel Length: 2"
Grips:
2- Hogue Rubber Finger Groove
Hogue Wood Finger Groove
Pachmayr Rubber Finger Groove
Pachmayr Rubber
Leather: