Smith & Wesson M 24-3

FPrice

I have a chance to pick up a 1983 Lew Horton S&W Model 24-3, virtually NIB. Beautiful deep blue finish, just a light drag ring around the cylinder, I think it might just be unfired since purchase. The cost is about $450 with the original box.

Since I already have a Marlin 1894/Ruger Vacquero combo in .44 Mag/.44 Special, it will not be a new caliber (to some extent).

Does anyone else have any experience with this particular model?

Walosi

I bought one this summer - ca. 1985, and fresh from a factory refinish and action job. Same price, coincidentally. It is accurate with the loads I've tried so far (Rem. LHP and CorBon 165 gr. HP), a joy to shoot and behold. Off a bench, the CorBons will stay inside 2" at 25 yds (wrists braced over a sandbag, SA) and the DA is now doable with the addition of a set of Kim Ahrends "Tactical" (yeah, that word, again) Moradillo grips. These are slimmer than the factory panels, and allow me to reach the trigger without any shift in grip. Be VERY careful - these babies are addictive.:D

I bought one some months ago.

God what a sweet, sweet gun!

IIRC I paid $389 for mine.

It was on an auction site, I probably could have gotten it for less, but it could also have ended up going for a lot more than that, so I did a "buy it now" transaction.

It's a real dream.

JohnK

I have one, I got it years ago when trading in a Speed Six I have no idea what the price on it was at the time. It's been a good shooter, nice trigger pull and I like the round butt grip much better than the square.

Recoil is a bit snappy with that 3" barrel and Keith loads. :)

Phil in Seattle

I'm rather fond of mine.

full_159_p2425.jpg

uglygun

I've been waiting, hoping, praying that one of these little big guns will find it's way into the consignment shelves of one of my gunshops.

I seem to recall a similar 624 or a 657 in one of the shops some time back but I'm not really into stainless guns.

Stop talkin about yer pretty blued guns darn it. The only thing that hurts more? I'm in Ca. and it's pretty much a pipe dream to have a gun like that in the conditions described come into one of the shops for prices like you guys are getting.

But it does remind me that tomorrow is my scheduled day for going around to the local shops, tryin to track down one more nice purchase before the new year.

sm

I have shot these in the past. Great guns. I've always felt the 44 spl doesn't get enough attn.

Oh Duh!

The Lew Horton was the 3" gun.

I got the target model reintroduction in 6.5".

A friend of mine has the 3". It's also a damned nice gun.

SGT405

Picked up 24-3 3" at my pawn shop(I'm so lucky) for $250.00. It has some scratches and wear but is mechanically excellent. Using it as one of my carry pieces along with a 357magnum(pre 27) N frame 5 screw with 3 1/2" barrel.
Life is goooood!

Dave T

Albert,

I'm about as far from you as a person can get (in the contenental US) and still be relatively free - meaning I'm not in California. I have the same two guns and they are my favorite Smith's as of right now. I had the 3.5" M27 round butted so it almost matches the Lew Horton M24. I must confess that I would prefer a 4" Model 24, but that 3" RB is kind of fun. Since some of the guys posting here are kind of price sensitive I won't mention that I got mine for $250. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. (smiley face goes here)

PS: What are you carrying your 3" Ns in? I have a pancake style holster from El Paso Saddelry that they fit but it's linged and weighs a ton. Those N frames don't need any more weight.

SGT405

My two favorite are first: Alessi CQC/S and second: Kramer Belt Scabbard. Both tuck the gun very tight into the body and keep the contour of the body. Both are lightweight and because they pull in to the body I don't feel the weight.