Smith & Wesson K-22

jrklaus

I inherited from my grandfather a Smith & Wesson K-22. I have no idea when it was manufactured, so any information would be greatly appreciated. It has a six-inch barrel and a serial number of A61XXX. Thanks in advance!

I don't think that's the serial. That looks like an assembly number. The serial will be on the butt and is covered by target style stocks so you may have to remove them.

I assume this has adjustable sights? If so, the serial should have the letter K in it. This would be the Target Masterpiece (Model 17 after 1957) and the 6" barrel was standard.

jrklaus

The number may indeed start with a K, for it is a little worn. That is, however, the number from the butt of the revolver. It has Magna stocks, and while I do not have the original box, I remember that it was red cardboard and had K-22 Outdoorsman on the cover with a picture of the revolver on it. It does have adjustable rear sights (semi-circular notch) and a front post sight with a German silver (?) bead.

I just checked the serial number under daylight and a magnifying glass (eyes getting worse and worse every day :rolleyes:) and the serial number is actually 661XXX...no letters at all.

I am not positive, but I think it may be pre-war?

Thanks in advance!

XavierBreath

The K22 enjoyed a long run, and is an excellent revolver. After 1957 they were given Model numbers. They still hold excellent value today, and I am still looking for one. PoI is correct in the serial number location. While you have the grips off, see if there is a number in them that matches the gun's serial.

Trying to give a DOB based on serial numbers is sometimes difficult. Give a screw count, type of sights and if possible, post a photo. That will help.

Absolute authentication with DOB can be obtained for $30 with a factory letter from Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian.

Try a post on The S&W Forum as well.

Edited to add....Just saw your last post......

Serial 661XXX falls within the K22 Outdoorsman range of 632132 to 682419. Outdoorsman K22s were made from 1931 to 1940. 19500 Outdoorsman K22s were built. M&Ps also appear in this serial number range, explaining the numerical discrepancy.

Value: NIB $850 Exc $500 VG $300 Good $250. These values from Supica's Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the S&W collector's Bible. They are at least two years old, and can vary regionally.

Find that box! It's not NIB without the box! Some collectors have paid more for S&W cardboard boxes and screwdrivers than others have paid for guns! The Outdoorsman's screwdriver (it came with the gun for sight adjustment) can sell for $1000! That's right, $1K, no period in there!

Last edited:

jrklaus

Unfortunately, posting a picture will not be possible at this time. It has three screws on the right side of the frame, one below the rear sight directly behind the cylinder/recoil shield, one above the rear of the trigger guard, and one between the cylinder and trigger guard a little in front of the trigger. The rear sight is screwed into the top strap with two small screws, and has a small screw on both the left and right sides of its body. In addition, there is another small screw on top of the topstrap which aligns with the front of the cylinder. Two pins pass through the top strap at the front and rear of the cylinder. Pins are also present in the cylinder rod detent lock and the front sight. The grip frontstrap has a screw near the butt (both frontstrap and rearstrap are grooved), and there is a screw immediately in front of the trigger guard (angled into the frame). The trigger is grooved. Markings are: left side of barrel--SMITH & WESSON; left side of frame underneath cylinder latch--S&W circular trademark with TRADE above and MARK REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. below; right side of barrel--22 LONG RIFLE CTG; right side of frame above trigger guard front--MADE IN U.S.A; and, inside the right frame where the cylinder crane/yoke snaps in--11067.

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate the information all of you are providing!

XavierBreath

Yep, I'm sticking with what I edited to add above, it's a K22 Outdoorsman.
SWscrewdrivers.jpg

Screwdrivers​