Smith Wesson 6906 9mm Stainless

ramp_tech

I need a review on this gun, anyone care to share?

Saw one at my local shop for $239, it was so cheap that I decided I will just have to pick it up tomorrow. I think it was a Police trade tho.

Dot_mdb

The third generation Smiths have a reputation for being very reliable. If the gun is in working condition it is well worth the price. The police trade in guns seem to go for $300 - $400 depending on how it looks.

Bill

Texpass

ramp_tech, I picked up a NIB 6906 about 2 months ago. It is one of my carry guns now. The first 50 rounds or so I thought what have I got, but now everythig is settled down it's great. I suggest you get the *butt plates from S&W and get you some 5906 magazines, which will fit, giving you one in the shoot and 14 in the hanger. For the price their asking you should get that gun for a unique door stopper if nothing else. You'll like it!

* Grip Plus 2 Buttplate # 24120000

SouthpawShootr

I've had 2. Still have one (the other got away from me in a fit of stupidity). In my view these little guys are the best of the S&W 3rd generation autos. They're concealable, have a decent capacity, accurate, in my experience reliable, and lightweight (relative to their all stainless 5900 series cousins). I've got first dibbs on a new unfired one that my dad has should he ever decide to sell it. Mine is a very lightly used LE turn in. The aluminum frames on these guns sometimes take a beating from the LE retention blocks on duty holsters. I've seen some seriously messed up frame (deep gouges in the triggerguard). I'd keep +Ps to a minimum and no +P+ at all. My buddy has been a cop for 15 years now. His department (and several others) issued this model starting in 1988 or so. A year or so before they transitioned to Glock, one of these experienced a frame failure during qualifications in the hands of a new recruit at the academy. This dept does not log shots through their guns, but some of these guys are high volume shooters and range ammunition used to flow freely. This gun had been through the academy at least twice and was an early squared triggerguard model that had been in service for 12 years.

I'm a big advocate of replacing the recoil spring in each used gun I buy. This is especially necessary for LE turn ins. Many (most) departments don't do simple preventive maintenance on their weapons. They use them until they stop working, then repair or retire depending on the failure.

Tom2

YOur price is almost a giveaway unless it is thoroughly thrashed or something. I think you will not lose money if you decide to trade it off. Well to another individual. A dealer would lowball you on anything. Not a thing wrong with it. Should be able to find plenty of mags and holsters that will fit it easily. In the end it is just how well it shoots and handles for you, regardless of the reputation, which is good to start with.

MR.G

Great price, if it is in good condition. Traded a 637 and some cash for one in like new condition a few months ago. Total, about $400.00. Never shot mine, and probably never will, but it appears to be a well made gun.

scottycoyote

i did an extensive search for a nice concealable s&w semi and settled on the 6906 myself........and bought another for my dad after he shot mine and liked it. Great little carry gun, hi capacity, super reliable. I think i got both mine for about 260/each from summitgunbroker. The other similar guns id consider in the smith line up would be the 3919, which is the single stack version of the 6906....less capacity but slimmer and carries easier. Id also consider the chiefs special, only hold 7 or 8 but its 45 acp.

Homerboy

did an extensive search for a nice concealable s&w semi and settled on the 6906 myself........and bought another for my dad after he shot mine and liked it. Great little carry gun, hi capacity, super reliable. I think i got both mine for about 260/each from summitgunbroker. The other similar guns id consider in the smith line up would be the 3919, which is the single stack version of the 6906....less capacity but slimmer and carries easier. Id also consider the chiefs special, only hold 7 or 8 but its 45 acp.

The single stack version of the 6906 is the 3913. I just sold my 3913 and bought a 6906 to replace it. 3913 is great, but the only difference is in the width of the grip, and that part is sticking out of my pants when I carry IWB. I detect no difference in carrying them. I paid $650 for a NIB one recently. I like my guns to look good, but a good used one should cost you half that.

Laserlips

FWIW:

6906 w/standard 12 round magazine..

100_9940.jpg

6906 w/standard (5906) 15 round magazine: (using S&W grip extender)

100_9936_01.jpg

I actually prefer the "feel" of the 6906 w/the 15rd 5906 mag over the standard 12rd mag w/fingertip ext.

Hey, three free rounds, can't beat that.. :D

Best Wishes,

Jesse

hemiram

I liked mine well enough, it was a PD issue gun. I sold it because I got offered a lot more than I paid for it, and needed money at the time. It was 100% reliable for me, so I have nothing bad to say. Sounds like you got a great deal.

dgludwig

I bought mine new and have never had a malfunction. It's a great choice for a holstered ccw. I only wish it had the rounded trigger guard, only because I prefer the looks of it over my squared off earlier model. Some like the squared look best

true_pair

Bought mine in mid 90s. Never had any issue with it. Reliably feeds all sort of ammo and is accurate enough. I love the gun and I'm actually looking for another one now

dewcrew8

great gun!! wife got one new for a wedding gift. i like the 5906 better just because of my big hands :D have had both the late 80's. i would get the 5906 15 rd mags for it, it makes it fell better in your hands.

Deaf Smith

I need another gun like a hole in the head but at $239, well I guess I could afford another hole in the head!

If it's in working condition, I'd grab it and make my excuses to the Miss'us later.

deercop

A lot of LEO's at a former agency of mine carried the 6906. I wish I would have bought one at the time.

Superhouse 15

Close, I have a 6946 (DAO). Runs and runs and runs. Obviously a holstered duty gun with lots of exterior wear but a super shooter. new grips and some soft sandpaper fixes that. Magazines for the 59 and 69 are super common and I bought tons of them.